Would you have a Boxster S or a SLK55??

Would you have a Boxster S or a SLK55??

• '06 Mercedes Benz SLK55

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
SLK55 (that's the top model obviously) comes with 7-gear auto only. Other versions like SLK350 have manual as default and auto as option.

MXM said:
SLK55 (that's the top model obviously) comes with 7-gear auto only. Other versions like SLK350 have manual as default and auto as option.
In Australia at least, the auto comes as standard across the board. But I guess that differs in diffrent parts of the world.

Heres something for those of you who dont know everything about Mercs:
The SLK AMG has only 355BHP as supposed to the more usual 476 we'r used to seeing in the E55,CLS55 and SL55 AMG's. So its kinda a downgrade for Jezza. Not to mention that he himself complained of the firm ride it has when he review it in the last series. Seems unusual for a 'daily drive' eh?? Oh and how will he STAY comfortable in one from now on. Its a bloody small car ya know. I think he just bought it for the AIRSCALF..

isn't it airscaRf??

Smaller and lighter car make up for the lack of hp...

Before that the SL55 was his main car for everything, and now he has a really fast convertible for going to London and back, and a blistering fast Supercar for driving pleasure when the weather is right...

Good choice, somehow...

Lurch0001 said:
BlaRo said:
The SLK comes with a 6-speed manual as an option, as well as a 7-speed auto.

Are you sure about that? Every M-B site I checked only makes mention of the 7-speed auto, and that's the transmission that all the car magazines seem to test. Of course, that could just be M-B putting their twist on things (by only providing an auto as a test car)...
I'm sure about that; I have a Merc brochure and they spend 2 pages rambling on the soul and emotion of the 6-speed manual.

BlaRo said:
I'm sure about that; I have a Merc brochure and they spend 2 pages rambling on the soul and emotion of the 6-speed manual.

The bastards must be keeping that soul and emotion to themselves. Do you know how hard it is to get a M-B with a manual transmission in Australia?

7-speed auto for SLK55, 6-speed manual standard for SLK350 with 7-speed optional. What the fuck, Mercedes?! :?

^Yeh so it differs across the world I take it...As someone pointed out, its very hard to even get a manual in Australia.

Oh and dont we all love the stuff about "soul and emotion" :lol: Mercedes have their traditions of putting heaps of stuff like that in their brochures!

Boxster S without a doubt.

I'd buy a SLK if I were to change my name to "Victoria".

Salar said:
That S/C V8 is just haul ass, "Pamela" would be a good name if you own a Boxster anyways.
8)

Much much more to a car than just sheer grunt

fbc said:
Salar said:
That S/C V8 is just haul ass, "Pamela" would be a good name if you own a Boxster anyways.
8)

Much much more to a car than just sheer grunt

Agreed. Completely.

Hey Salar, weren't you the guy that complained about the weight the federalized Elise gained?
At least you have one as your avatar. You should be able to understand the pureness of a car like a Boxster.
And you wouldn't end up with such a fugly front as the SLK's.

Porsche of course, nice engine, better styling (altough not my favourite porsche) it's always better than the SLK. It tries TOO hard to be mean, the porsche looks nice and has class. The merc looks like a squashed dwarf with big crossed-eyes.

Although the Merc might be the better car, people will go for the Porsche because of the name and the image, they woun't admit it, but come on "I've got a Porsche" sounds better than "I've got a Mercedes", especally as most people would have know idea what the SLK55 is. Even someone who knows nothing about cars is impressed with a Porsche, because of the name.

^ This is a petrolhead forum. I dont think many of us would chose image over performance. Most people here imo would rather drive their cars than just flash around with them infront of some vip clubs. So I dont think people here chose the porsche, in order to be able to say "...'Sup baby, I got a Porsche, wanna come for a ride in the badboy? ..." :?

Top Gear Girl said:
Although the Merc might be the better car, people will go for the Porsche because of the name and the image, they woun't admit it, but come on "I've got a Porsche" sounds better than "I've got a Mercedes", especally as most people would have know idea what the SLK55 is. Even someone who knows nothing about cars is impressed with a Porsche, because of the name.
lol, its actually the other way around. people are more impressed with the name mercedes. there is a kid at my school (high school) who is getting his dad's POS old C-Class. but he still talks like he's got a 300SL gullwing.

the Boxster is the superior car performance-wise, but the SLK is better allrounder.

TGG: I don't think so. See, the Boxster has this stupid image of being the little-Porsche, "for those who can't afford a 911", girly car, whatever.
While the SLK screams agression. Big engine, big noise, scary design, etc. And I don't think Merc is considered a 2nd class manufacturer or something.

So I doubt that those who prefer Boxster are doing so because of the image. Or at least it's not the major reason.