Would you have a Boxster S or a SLK55??

Would you have a Boxster S or a SLK55??

• '06 Mercedes Benz SLK55

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
bihus said:
fbc said:
Salar said:
That S/C V8 is just haul ass, "Pamela" would be a good name if you own a Boxster anyways.
8)

Much much more to a car than just sheer grunt

Agreed. Completely.

Hey Salar, weren't you the guy that complained about the weight the federalized Elise gained?
At least you have one as your avatar. You should be able to understand the pureness of a car like a Boxster.
And you wouldn't end up with such a fugly front as the SLK's.
No, i wasn't.

But yea, it doesn't look like a Benz really, i didn't like it at first, but i used to it after a while, and i think it has a nice aggresive style, esp 55's are nice.

Top Gear Girl said:
bartboy9891 said:
when did hammond buy a 928 to replace the 911?

http://www.bbcworld.com/content/template_clickpage.asp?pageid=2672

"Richard owns...and a Porsche 928"

http://www.drcreview.com/absolutenm/templates/classic.asp?articleid=45&zoneid=5

"I just love old cars. I?ve just bought an old Porsche 928 for next to nothing, which I use as a daily runabout."

He didnt sell his 911 to buy the 928 though, he sold the 911 to buy the Charger since it cost him a lot at the time. He now has a Morgan which is his daily runabout.

pdanev said:
Jostyrostelli said:
That's a JC quote, and don't confuse that reality ;)
That IS reality. That is the image of the boxster. Cheap porsche, one that everyone can afford, for people who can not afford a "proper" porsche.

And I still think it was JC spreading that opinion. You don't tell me that when you saw the Boxter for the first time you thought "wow what a cheap-ass car, that guy must be totally dissapointed for not buying a 911, that looks so cheap!"

Come on...it's Jeremy...

Jos please dont start it as well. :)
I didnt say that it was MY opinion. I said that that is the IMAGE of the boxster. That is how most people see it (people NOT = my opinion)

* FYI:
In marketing image is often used as shorthand for the perception that consumers have for a brand, its values and its benefits (often referred to as brand image).

pdanev said:
Jos please dont start it as well. :)
I didnt say that it was MY opinion. I said that that is the IMAGE of the boxster. That is how most people see it (people NOT = my opinion)

* FYI:
In marketing image is often used as shorthand for the perception that consumers have for a brand, its values and its benefits (often referred to as brand image).

I don't agree - I'm not convinced people think of the Boxster as not being a real Porsche, nor will I ever be convinced of that. It is a magnificient vehicle, and every inch a real Porsche.

^ I guess image differs across the continents, but around here in Europe (central-western part) the boxster has a bad image. And its not the minority unfotunatelly that think its not a "proper" porsche. Everytime I see a boxter with someone, I look at it, and others always keep telling my "...what are you looking at that for, its a crappy cheap porsche that everyone can afford, its nothing special...". So pretty much everyone that is not a petrolhead and has some sort of interest in cars sees it the cheap man's porsche.

I don't know how this image evolved, but sadly this is reality. (yet again i'd like to stress, this is not my opinion, this is what most people around here think).

^ If that's the case then it's quite a sad judgement for those people to make :no:

I'm intrigued, what do you think of the Boxster pdanev?

I think its a proper porsche, and staying on topic, I also voted for it. I don't see anything wrong with it, and only because its affordable doesn't make it less of a car. And I'd get a boxter over pretty much anything in that price range. BTW, if I were ever to buy a supercar it would be a porsche. Ferrari, lambo (except the gallardo), zonda etc dont do it for me.

pdanev said:
I think its a proper porsche, and staying on topic, I also voted for it. I don't see anything wrong with it, and only because its affordable doesn't make it less of a car. And I'd get a boxter over pretty much anything in that price range.
QFT

BTW, if I were ever to buy a supercar it would be a porsche. Ferrari, lambo (except the gallardo), zonda etc dont do it for me.

With the exception of the Zonda :)drool:), I agree. Given the choice between a Carrera GT, Murcie, or Enzo, I'd take the CGT.

Zonda, Koenigsegg etc I wouldnt dare to take to a trackday. I dont know, but somehow I wouldnt be able to really push them to the limit. They are so expensive, and even if one doesnt like them, everything is handbuild and is exlusive, one of a kind...

That's a really good point actually - with Porsche you know you're getting bulletproof engineering (not saying other supercars aren't engineered well, but you just know you could take a Porsche to a trackday, pound it senseless, and worst case just have to change a set of brake pads afterwards).

^The one issue about trackdays, at least in the US, is more and more of them are not allowing open top cars...

As for my choice the Boxster S everyday of the week and thrice on Sundays. For me if I was going to spend my money on this type of car, I would select the one that was engineered from the ground up as a true sports car, not a boulevard cruiser with a hot-rod engine, as I would not use it as daily driver, only as a toy. MXM said it screams aggression, this is not a word I would use to describe the hairdressers' traditional car, especially as it tries to be the SLR?s little sister with that nose, which for me it just looks completely out of place, plus with its high sills and squatty rear end, again to me, it looks disproportional.
MXM said:
See, the Boxster has this stupid image of being the little-Porsche, "for those who can't afford a 911", girly car, whatever....
The same can be said about the SLK, "you couldn?t afford an SL55 so you had to get its little sister."
MXM said:
And I don't think Merc is considered a 2nd class manufacturer or something.
After owing a recent S-class, I wouldn?t call them a 2nd class manufacturer, but it is definitely not a top tier manufacturer anymore?with all the nagging problems and issues, it will take a lot for them to recapture my business.

Though I think it is stupid to get a certain car in preparation for someone asking what you drive, I will go through a hypothetical. When you say to someone that I drive a Porsche, they know it is a sports car, even if it is a Cayenne, though it is a SUV it?s a sporty SUV.

When you say you drive a Merc, most people will ask which one? Then you say it?s a SLK?"oh the little one" they?ll usually say, then if you really have an inferiority complex, you will have to describe to them, yeah it?s the small one, but is has an "hand made" engine?and so on.

With the Boxster you have an open top roadster that is inherently superior to a 911 cabriole, since it was engineered to be a roadster.

But?to each their own ? especially when it comes to tastes in cars, regardless of what the "Cool Wall" says.

fbc said:
That's a really good point actually - with Porsche you know you're getting bulletproof engineering (not saying other supercars aren't engineered well, but you just know you could take a Porsche to a trackday, pound it senseless, and worst case just have to change a set of brake pads afterwards).
I'm pretty sure that most the supercars in that range would be able to do that.

Made In the USA said:
Though I think it is stupid to get a certain car in preparation for someone asking what you drive, I will go through a hypothetical. When you say to someone that I drive a Porsche, they know it is a sports car, even if it is a Cayenne, though it is a SUV it?s a sporty SUV.

When you say you drive a Merc, most people will ask which one? Then you say it?s a SLK?"oh the little one" they?ll usually say, then if you really have an inferiority complex, you will have to describe to them, yeah it?s the small one, but is has an "hand made" engine?and so on.

very well said... :) a porsche will always be a porsche...and it holds a very strong brand image. its kind of like ferrari for instance, ferrari may not have built a SUV, but they have made a crappy car before (modinal anyone?). but when u tell someone you drive a ferrari or a porsche that person instantly thinks...wow

p0w3r said:
Made In the USA said:

very well said... :) a porsche will always be a porsche...and it holds a very strong brand image. its kind of like ferrari for instance, ferrari may not have built a SUV, but they have made a crappy car before (modinal anyone?). but when u tell someone you drive a ferrari or a porsche that person instantly thinks...wow
absolutely correct. If i told the average yahoo that i drove a Testarossa or Mondial (Ferrari's that were considered failrures) I bet that they would be impressed.

Made In the USA said:
I was going to spend my money on this type of car, I would select the one that was engineered from the ground up as a true sports car, not a boulevard cruiser with a hot-rod engine...
Amen! :thumbsup: Perfect description of that merc!!!