Wrong ECU in Moto Guzzi V7 Classic?

Antifragile

Car(s)
Moto Guzzi V7 Classic
Hi, all. This bike is a 2009 and I've been riding it since 2013. The previous owner only put 2000km on it and we are now around 18000. I was riding to Whistler and it just gave up the ghost on the highway. Lovely. It would start, but it would only proceed a couple hundred yards before dying again. After two weeks at the shop, I got a diagnosis. (Note: "shop" is the local Guzzi dealer). The ECU had fried.

The part is around $500 and took another couple weeks to arrive.

The kicker is that, my shop up tells me that in diagnosing this with Piaggio in the US they told him it was the wrong ECU in the first place! A number of the Classics rolled off the floor like that, they said.

Has anyone heard of this?! I can't find any other mention of it online. If you have a Classic, could you check?

Thanks!

Byron

The best I can tell you is that I nearly bought a 2009 V7 Classic, and it wouldn't rev beyond 3k RPM. Initially the shop had diagnosed it as a faulty ECU, but after a session with a Piaggio training session, they found that a cam sensor had a larger O-ring that was giving the bike false readings. It could be something as simple and niggling like that, but I imagine you would've gone through that already.

Last year my 2013 V7 Special had a fault where it wouldn't idle properly, and I had the ECU reflashed under warranty.

Also, here's an ECU available on eBay that's half the price you mentioned.

Good luck?it's good to know that the V7 will survive so many miles. :D

Although the bike is out of warranty, I would consider contacting Moto Guzzi about it to see if they will make it right - especially since it is known that they built many bikes incorrectly. You might not get the whole repair paid for, but maybe they will pay for the part. It's worth a shot.

If they do nothing, I would certainly blow up social media with this. I know BlaRo's Guzzi had a number of problems.