WRX vs STi

kEv H

Car(s)
98 Integra gsr
In about 6 months I will be graduating college and getting a job in the real world. I have been looking for new cars, and have always wanted a WRX, I figure now is my chance.

I am wondering for the 2000-2008 generation Imprezas, what are the differences between the WRX and the STi? Is there a noticeable difference stock to stock between the two models? I have always thought the STi was just a little fancier and ran more boost, is this true?

Thanks

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'13 Moto Guzzi V7, '08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
I believe the STI is the more hardcore version. So stiffer suspension and the like, and until recently more power.

fbc

Retired Moderator
Car(s)
2006 MY07 Astra SRi Turbo
The STi versions are more hardcore - more power, stiffer suspension, that sort of thing. By all accounts the driving experience differs quite a bit between them.

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Does the WRX even have a turbo? I forget. I think it's also like twice the horsepower (150 vs 300) too.

noodles 555

Car(s)
impreza 22b (dreaming)!
the sti is the road going rally car

it has better brakes

it has driver controlled center differential

it has a intercooler waterspray like a rally car

i believe the engine is beefed up in the sti

also the 6 speed gearbox in the sti is much stronger than the 5 speed wrx

i would be careful when buying there are some examples around that have fell into the hands of the fast and the furious bunch which have seen sad abuse launching these cars is great fun and it looks great when you have your friend video it and put it on youtube but 30000 miles of launches would wreak havock on an army tank never mind an sti

i would go for the sti an unmolested adult driven one would be ideal just remember repairs can be expensive

MadCow809

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2006 E87 BMW 130i RHD
sti is the one you want

more boost, more power, better brakes, better suspension, better gearbox (5spd v.s 6spd), better performance, better interior, better intercooler (automatic water spray at a set interval), ability to change the diff bias (front to rear), a better diff, better exhaust system and a higher redline rpm.

It's a better car.

JipJopJones

Car(s)
1979 Cressida Wagon, 1981 Corolla Hardtop
I would never buy this car used. So many kids that fuck around with them
I wouldn't be to worried, just find one that has been driven my a responisble person, sure it may take a bit longer, but if that's what it takes to get the idea car, an extra month won't hurt.

kEv H

Car(s)
98 Integra gsr
Thanks guys for the info. I know all about buying used cars with the possibility of boy racers (honda owner). You just have to be careful and ask a lot of questions and make sure you are buying from a responsible owner. There's a chance of a car being abused by the previous owner for any car.

E34lover

Car(s)
Nothing right now
The new 09 WRX is actually really good. They've increased the hp to 265 at 6000 RPM from the 08's 224hp at 5200 RPM and also the Torque to 244 ft-lbs. at 4000 RPM from 226 ft-lbs. at 2800 RPM. Subaru has also tightened up the suspension from the year before. Being the end of the year there are some really good deals although you will find much better deals on the 08. I'm not sure on this but I think the WRX premium (sedan version) understeers a lot less than the STI because of the A-beam in the hatch being heavier.

Jay

the fool on the hill
Myself, I would buy a 2009 WRX, save a lot on insurance, and have nearly the same power as the STI. Use the saved money to buy snow tires, and you are set for year 'round.

MadCat360

Forum Addict
Car(s)
*Carless* Waaahhh
the sti is the road going rally car
Oh no it isn't. I hate that expression. "It's a road-going Formula car", "It's a road-going touring car" etc etc. It's dumb. It just isn't. It's not stripped out, it doesn't have a fire system, it doesn't have a roll cage, it has power steering, it's just not a rally car. It's a road car the vaguely resembles it's rally car big brother in body style and chassis dimensions and that's it.

MadCat360

Forum Addict
Car(s)
*Carless* Waaahhh
actually...all modern wrc rally cars have power steering:)
but yes very righ on the other points:p
Pussies. :lol:

I don't use power steering on tarmac and you don't see me complaining... I love it. So much more feel.

But I guess dirt's different.

Solberg

Car(s)
Porsche 997 Carrera S & 2012 Ford Raptor!!
STI is a huge step ahead of the WRX.

LeVeL

Forum Addict
STi = more power, better brakes, stiffer suspension, 6-speed, stronger transmission, differentials (including DCCD). I would recomment an 05 STi. Or a bug-eye WRX and use the money you save for mods.

GDB Nick

Car(s)
2005 Subaru Impreza STi
Bottomline, if you are able to afford an STi, there's no real reason to even consider a WRX.

But here's an interesting idea:

Get an Impreza coupe from the late 90's to 2001 and swap in an STi powertrain. That'd be fun!

Last edited: