WTF is wrong with people!

otispunkmeyer

Car(s)
'03 Skoda Superb (farewell :(), '06 Honda Civic ES
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...yue+-+What+has+the+world+come+to?!&mid=250882

I havent posted the actual link to the Skynews story because its too horrendous. The link is in the first post of that thread.

A young toddler, Yueyue (age 2) from Foshan city, in southern Guangdong province is wandering in a narrow street when she is run over by a van and then simply left. 18 or so people simply walk on by like shes not there and a second van even runs over her again as it makes its way down the street. The first van driver initially stopped as he rolled over her with the front tyres...but then he decided to carry on and rolled over her with the rear tyres before driving off.

Some one eventually drags the body out of the way and then who I assume is the mother just picks her up like you would pick up a crying toddler.... with all her injuries this is totally wrong!

Shes still alive, but I think practically brain dead and barely able to breathe.

This is truly shocking, what is wrong with people!!!

My god that was completely shocking... I'm out of words. It's a terrible terrible video to watch and it truly makes you think WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH US?!?!?!?

If people are able to run over a young girl with a van and then others walk by her and don't even flinch, then someone else comes along and simply runs over her again I'm.... I can't even express my opinion!!! It's making me far too mad!

This was a horrendous testimony of human capability. If you ever needed proof were pieces of shit, here it is.

Coming from the same country that brought you this a few months ago

Beneath the facade of industrialization and rapid financial growth, China still has a long way to go. That's not to say all Chinese are horrible, but the values and mentality that's been ingrained in the culture over the past 60 or so years will take a fair beating before they can make way for more progressive trains of thought. Of course, the absence of any Good Samaritan laws doesn't exactly help either.

Last edited:
I was hoping you would post in this thread, LeMansGTR. I think it started with the Chinese pet food scandal - although it may have been before that - that I've noticed what appears to be a results-oriented, every-man-for-himself sort of culture. Where it's okay to put poison in food for people's pets, so long as you meet your production and sales quotas. Am I totally off-base here?

And that video was truly shocking. Not just that so many people stood around and did nothing while those grown men were kicking and throwing around a boy who seemed to have a broken arm, but that the woman with the umbrella was actually smiling and laughing. Does it have to be your own child before it affects you? I wonder what would have happened if just one person had shown the courage to try to protect that little boy. Would he find himself being kicked and shoved around? Or would other people intervene as well?

Now maybe the Uyghur don't like the Chinese very much. Do you really think torturing a defenseless child is going to make them see the error of their ways? No. All it does is create another Uyghur who hates the Chinese people.

I was hoping you would post in this thread, LeMansGTR. I think it started with the Chinese pet food scandal - although it may have been before that - that I've noticed what appears to be a results-oriented, every-man-for-himself sort of culture. Where it's okay to put poison in food for people's pets, so long as you meet your production and sales quotas. Am I totally off-base here?

The pet food scandal you refer to was actually more of a protein scandal in that it wasn't limited purely to one product. I remember being in Hong Kong during the milk scandal, the shelves and refrigerators were completely cleaned out, twas quite shocking but it was interesting to see the effect. Anyway, as for you theory of a results oriented, every many for himself culture? I'd agree with that to an extent, it was very much a survivalist culture during the earlier stages of the communist regime so that has stuck with the country even to its current state of prosperity. The honeymoon is going to over one day and the country will have to deal with the consequences brought on by their actions but for now, things are going to stay exactly as they are.

Still, that's not to say there isn't a light at the end of the tunnel, I believe when the next generation takes over the reigns and as standards of living get better, you'll see a lot more development in terms of areas regarding human rights, freedom of speech etc. but again, it's going to take a lot more than a few choice words to see real change take place.

By the way, why were you hoping I would post in this thread? I don't make that many anti-china rants do I? I do try to keep things balanced and objective but it is quite difficult for me considering my background so just tell me if I'm going overboard and straying into bigotry territory.

Last edited:
I was going to make a joke about their eyes but I don't think it would be right after seeing that video. Hope their/someone's government steps in because that is just ridiculous.

No, it was precisely the opposite. I wanted a Chinese perspective, as it were. And as you were the only native(?) who I can think of who regularly posts on these forums, I wanted your input. Thank you for providing it.

And I will readily admit that atrocities regularly occur in other countries. However I would like to think that in most countries a 2 year old little would get more help than poor Yueyue did.

No, it was precisely the opposite. I wanted a Chinese perspective, as it were. And as you were the only native(?) who I can think of who regularly posts on these forums, I wanted your input. Thank you for providing it.

And I will readily admit that atrocities regularly occur in other countries. However I would like to think that in most countries a 2 year old little would get more help than poor Yueyue did.

You're very welcome and I certainly agree with you, there's no doubt about it. Of course being born in Australia and with family from Hong Kong, I guess I'm not really representative of a Chinese person from China so you'll have to ask one of them to get a better picture of what the situation is over there. I can give you a general overview of the culture but since I'm not living in China, I can't say much about the current social atmosphere aside from what western media outlets are telling us.

I can't bring myself to watch the video. The description is enough for me.

My theory on the nature of humanity: people are infinitely malleable. Their environment and experiences can have an unbelievably profound effect on the way they think and behave. That's what people talk about when they talk about the "banality of evil". Most people aren't born bad. So; don't judge humanity based on this video alone, instead, see this video as an example of what we have the potential to become.

I would make a pithy comment about the situation in China today, but honestly, I'm at loss for words. Please don't think everyone in my country is a monster because of this.

I can only think about a standout memory from when I was around 8 or 10 or so: I was at my grandmother's house in the town of Lishi. My cousin was playing at our house, until his mother arrived. She only lived next door. I then realised the reason why my cousin was here was to hide. She dragged him back, and started beating him violently over failing his homework. Like I said, it was only next door, and we could quite easily hear the thuds and pained screams coming through the wall. The next time we saw him, the injuries were quite visible. At the time I asked "shouldn't we call the police or something?" My grandmother said "here, we respect what happens in other households. We don't intervene."

Yeah. Well, she's your daughter. And he's your grandchild. (Or maybe I've got the genealogy wrong. He could be twice removed or something. I don't see them that often. But even so, yeah.)

Last edited:
Yeah, something similar happened to me when I was in high school. I took the family car without permission and when I got caught, my dad started choking me and slammed my head against the wall a couple of times. I went to school the next day with clear yellowing bruises on my neck but not one person noticed or if they did notice, didn't say anything. And it was pretty much the same mindset - what happens in other people's homes is none of our business.

Of course, 20 years later voters in my state (Maine) passed a law banning gay marriage, so apparently that mindset has changed at some point. (Or maybe it was - "what goes on in other people's homes is none of our business - unless they're gay.")

This is not the first video I have seen like this - the other one was an old lady who was reversed over the bloke got out looked behing the car got back in and continued until the front wheeles went over her too.

Probably dig deep enough and more than meets the eye may be revealed. I feel so sorry for that little girl. I think that would be manslaughter in Ukania, by both drivers.

Once this gets picked up, I'm looking forward to the media onslaught of stories that say "all Chinese people are heartless, overpopulated drones, and this is an everyday occurrence over there."

I had a discussion on an another forum about this. Running away and not doing anything are both normal reactions people have in situations like this.

When you run over someone with your car, the first thought is always to run away so that you won't get in to trouble. Even though the rational thing to do would be to stop and help the person you just ran over, which would also lessen the troubles you would get afterwards. But the fear and instincts makes people drive away.
It's much the same with people who walk by doing nothing. Everybodys first instinct is to think that "I don't know how to help and someone else will surely do something". That of course doesn't work if everyone thinks that.

It's easy think you would help in a situation like that from the comfort of your home. Everybody thinks they would help, but in reality most people won't. Even those people in the video thought they would. It probably hit them in the evening when they got home that they should have done something.

Also if you look at the animal kingdom, empathy is not very high on the priority list in there either.

Life is cheap in China because it's expensive.

This is not the first case of a Chinese driver deliberately [trying] killing an accident victim after hitting the person with a vehicle.

It all steams from peculiar accident laws in China. If you knock into someone and did not kill the person, the state will make you responsible for the person?s health care costs for the rest of his or her life. If you kill the person upon impact, you actually pay a flat fee that might be substantially less. Casting moral values aside, the pragmatic decision is to make sure you kill a victim if you are involved in a traffic accident.

Also, there?s the curious 2006 case of Peng Yu from Nanjing (?????). Peng Yu helped a woman to the hospital after she had fallen, only to have the old woman accuse him of knocking her down. A Nanjing judge ultimately ruled that common sense dictated only the person who hit the victim would take her to the hospital, setting a precedent that continues to further discourages and reinforces many Chinese people?s wariness to help others in similar situations.
http://alvinology.com/2011/10/18/the-curious-case-of-peng-yu-from-nanjing-南京彭宇案-and-china-society/

So yeah, that's fucked up. I'm sure the chinese state will dish out the usual harsh punishment they do whenever something embarrasses them inernationally, not because of the crime itself (ignoring a run over 2 year old is not a crime in China) but the fact that the country has been shamed in plain view of the outside world. These people deserve harsh punishments without doubt, but the core of the problem lies with the state.

Update
Further info
Christian Science Monitor said:
The way Chinese law is enforced, complains Professor Tan, means that ?good people are not rewarded and evil people are not punished.? He points to the case of a bus driver in Nantong, in the coastal province of Jiangsu, who saw an old woman run over by a tricycle last August and stopped to help her.

The woman accused the bus driver, Yin Hongbing, of running her down and demanded damages. Video from a nearby traffic camera proved she was lying, but she got off with an apology.

Cameras are rarely on hand to provide evidence, though, and with courts putting the burden of proof on defendants to show they did not hurt their accusers, ?a new consensus has emerged, that in today?s world it is both unwise and unsafe to help a stranger in a public place,? says Yan Yunxiang, a professor of anthropology at the University of California, Los Angeles, who has studied Chinese Good Samaritans.

?Helping a stranger is coming to be regarded as a mindless and silly act, instead of compassionate or heroic,? he adds.

China has no law that protects Good Samaritans from being sued by the people they help, let alone the sort of law that in France, Italy, and some other European countries makes it a crime not to help someone in distress.
[..]
The authorities are clearly aware of prevailing attitudes; one question in the Chinese driving test asks candidates what they should do if they come across injured traffic accident victims. The multiple-choice answers are ?Send the injured persons to hospital in a timely manner or make emergency calls,? ?Dodge as much as possible,? ?Go ahead by bypassing the scene,? and ?Find an excuse to dodge the scene.?

Anecdotal evidence from the 19th century suggests that such indifference has deep roots. American missionary Arthur H. Smith wrote in a 1894 book that ?unwillingness to give help to others, unless there is some special reason for doing so, is a trait that runs through Chinese social relations in multifold manifestations.?
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia...ks-heated-debate-about-society-s-moral-health

Last edited:
You and everyone else who's seen it plastered all over the internet. I regularly use three or four forums, and this place was a safe haven until now.
Excuse me, I don't quite follow what you are trying to say.

It's much the same with people who walk by doing nothing. Everybodys first instinct is to think that "I don't know how to help and someone else will surely do something". That of course doesn't work if everyone thinks that.

Yes, I remember some firefighter saying that the more people are seeing the accident, less likely it is that someone goes to help. But if someone steps out and does, others soon follow.

I cannot even read the original post, I have to turn away to let it load to the last post; Originally I read it this morning and gagged while I was eating breakfast. The story itself hung over me like a cloud for most of the day.

It's shit like this that makes me loose more of what little faith I have left in humanity, an' believe me there ain't much of it left. I've seen a man being run over by a double decker bus before wi' me own eyes, everyone around including meself even though I was being driven past was on their phone ringing for the emergency services.

That video, was plain disgusting.