WTF is wrong with people!

I cannot even read the original post, I have to turn away to let it load to the last post; Originally I read it this morning and gagged while I was eating breakfast. The story itself hung over me like a cloud for most of the day.

Yeah, wished I haven't stumbled across this thread either. Shit is fucked up.

As a full blooded Chinese I am incredibly saddened and disgusted. Although I do have to say that I've been living in the USA for about 12 years now and I haven't lived in China since I was in 4th grade elementary school so I'm not up to snuff on their current cultural practice when it comes to being a good samaritan and helping out strangers.

But what I can say is that for a culture that prides itself on elder respect, parental obedience and reverence, and etc. the Chinese can be quite selfish and very materialistic and cunning and downright brutal. It's just my mom and I here in the USA and our best friends have been non-Chinese.

What a sad and upsetting story. I am disappoint in China about the fact that people can actually be charged with the crime if they are trying to help or just blatantly ignore a terrible crime like this. :(

Well, the child died.

And yes, the incident has captured the attention of the Chinese as well as that of the Western media?a lot of painful self-reflection and pontificating on Chinese messageboards, and a lot of theories on how to change an indifferent society. Because as much as this story ticked all the Western boxes of "inhuman, faceless, heartless, cruel foreigners," the sort of image that demonizes an apparent economic and global "enemy," it also had a huge impact on the Chinese as well.

Maybe this death will be a turning point for the way people treat each other?in theory, anyway. If it changes China's bizarre laws on Good Samaritinism, then Yue Yue won't have died in vain.

I sincerely hope these facts, amplified by the media (for once a good thing) could get to a changing in the pettiest part of the Chinese mindset. But don't get fooled, it's not just chinese people doing these things:

As for helping others, the bystander effect

As for pirate driving, Italy is experiencing something like that, with many people running other people over and then fleeing the scene, particularly among younger people, even if the behaviour is highly disregarded and shemed publicly (on a sidenote, this also gives clues about what racism is since the the public horror grows when the offender is an immigrant, which is surely part of why the kid in the first chinese video was treated so barbarically).

Last edited:
You know, I was talking to my friend a couple days ago and I said that a rape whistle would be useless because it requires someone to care and come assist you. Seems like my assumption would be correct.

I remember hearing that if you are in trouble and need help, that you don't cry, "HELP! SOMEBODY CALL THE POLICE!" because people are afraid to get involved in a criminal case. What you're supposed to do is call, "HELP! FIRE!" People are afraid that the fire might spread to their home and are more likely to get involved.

And like BlaRo, I too hope that this tragedy compels China to reform their Good Samaritan laws. Or, rather, to create some.

It's not just china, I was in a smalltown in Michigan last year and needed to find a hardware store, the only person walking on the sidewalk was a lady and her kid and I go up to her and say "Can I ask you a question?" And she says "no thats alright", and she grabbed her child and started running off. Fast forward to January, I needed to get my truck jumped(bad battery and starter) and I asked a person "Can you please help me get my truck jump started" The man thought about it and said "no".

While this is sad and very inhumane, it's nothing out of the ordinary. Neither my situations were life threatening but I can't believe people are unwilling to help out anymore. Late February I was at a store with my dad and we came out to a lady having trouble getting her car started because she left the lights on. I told her I'll be back with my vehicle to help. She was so grateful like I just saved her life. It was weird....

Why are people so worried about getting in trouble for HELPING?! I can't believe helping is a crime or heaven forbid, a little bit more time consuming.

Because of two things - one, sometimes you can get in trouble for helping; (Say you were giving someone a jumpstart and your battery explodes in that person's face. They could conceivably take you to court.) and two, the news has everyone so terrified that they'll be the victim of a crime that everyone is running scared.

It's not just china, I was in a smalltown in Michigan last year and needed to find a hardware store, the only person walking on the sidewalk was a lady and her kid and I go up to her and say "Can I ask you a question?" And she says "no thats alright", and she grabbed her child and started running off. Fast forward to January, I needed to get my truck jumped(bad battery and starter) and I asked a person "Can you please help me get my truck jump started" The man thought about it and said "no".

So, a Top Gear Top Tip: "Don't go to Michigan!"

Michigan is a great place. Just because he scares people away, should not reflect badly on Michigan

While this is sad and very inhumane, it's nothing out of the ordinary. Neither my situations were life threatening but I can't believe people are unwilling to help out anymore. Late February I was at a store with my dad and we came out to a lady having trouble getting her car started because she left the lights on. I told her I'll be back with my vehicle to help. She was so grateful like I just saved her life. It was weird....

Why are people so worried about getting in trouble for HELPING?! I can't believe helping is a crime or heaven forbid, a little bit more time consuming.

I've pulled strangers out of ditches, given them tows, changed tyres.....dunno, simply seems like the right thing to do realy, I don't get this apathy people are displaying in the video's in this thread, has society realy turned that shitty?
I know honour and chivalry is dead but come on.
I don't even consider myself a nice person, hell karma wise I should probably be in jail, but if you are in a position to help someone, you do it, how the hell do you live with yourself otherwise?

Last edited:

Try getting someone to lend you their phone for a minute to make a call. Unless you have tits, you haven't got a chance.

Detroit is not Michigan. And a bunch of building that were mostly demolished, does not make Detroit. A lot of the ones that are still standing, are being worked on by a historical group to preserve our automotive history.

Funny, under your last governor, we kept hearing how the nearly deserted and ruined city of Detroit was symbolic of the state and how it was going to rise phoenix-like from the ashes and how if only more money was given it would turn around, etc., etc.

Meanwhile, this.

Detroit is full of empty places that used to be neighborhoods. Where once people lived in modest houses built close together, now there are wrecked houses and vacant lots. By the city's own count, Detroit has around 30,000 abandoned houses! The number of buildings that are vacant is even higher. Mayor Dave Bing, appearing on a local TV show on March 7, 2010, stated that the city has 70,000 buildings that should be taken down and he stated the city needs federal money to pay for the demolition costs.

Just think about that - a city of ghost houses and former places of business scattered throughout an area that is physically large, covering 143 square miles, an area so large you could fit Manhatten, Boston, and San Francisco within its border and still have room to spare. Houses still standing are surrounded by vacant lots, reflecting the large number of houses that have already been demolished. I recently read that Detroit has more demolition companies than any other big city. One estimate says there are already over 100,000 vacant lots, but since the city has received some federal stimulus dollars for demolishing more, the city will soon consist of acres and acres of empty land.

I've been to Detroit and Michigan, more times than I would like. Sorry, as much as I hate to say it, Flareside is right. It's a hellhole full of rude people who don't have the beginnings of the normal Western human concern for others. Detroit is ranked as one of the world's most dangerous cities, right up there with Juarez (where there is an active civil war going on) and Baghdad.

That said, reportedly far worse things are going on in Asia than just the death of one child.

Life is cheap in Asia. Always has been. One suspects it always will be. It sucks. It's the way it is. :dunno:

Last edited:
I am not debating that Detroit has seen better days. But you can't say that Michigan is a terrible place when you have never left the lower half of, the lower half of the state. I am willing to bet you have never been farther north than Saginaw, or farther west than Lansing. Once you get out of the extended Metro Detroit area, people become far more pleasant. And things also become more pleasant to look at.

I am not debating that Detroit has seen better days. But you can't say that Michigan is a terrible place when you have never left the lower half of, the lower half of the state. I am willing to bet you have never been farther north than Saginaw, or farther west than Lansing. Once you get out of the extended Metro Detroit area, people become far more pleasant. And things also become more pleasant to look at.

Sorry. Been in the UP. Friend of mine has a little timeshare up there, vacations there every summer. I decided to drop in on him a few years ago.

Politely ask where the nearest gas station is? "FUCK OFF" is the response you get.

Even my friend, who is pasty-white and drives a domestic union-built Ford product plastered with stickers extolling the liberal politicians he adores, will get a rude reception, so it's nothing to do with the car or race or politics.

IMHO, Michigan could be greatly improved by saturation neutron bombing.

Last edited:
if you are in a position to help someone, you do it, how the hell do you live with yourself otherwise?
I wonder about that, too. Unfortunately, there are some exceptions like Romanian beggars which make you think twice about "helping" certain groups of people with your money, but when someone is obviously incapable of getting himself (or herself, for that matter) out of a tight spot, you take action.

I wonder about that, too. Unfortunately, there are some exceptions like Romanian beggars which make you think twice about "helping" certain groups of people with your money, but when someone is obviously incapable of getting himself (or herself, for that matter) out of a tight spot, you take action.

I agree on the beggars and 'those' groups of people we all know....there is a difference between beeing in trouble and leeching on peoples kindness.

Some dude who got his car in a ditch on an icy day? He didn't ask to be put in that position...bad luck, shit happens, we have all been there, save the guy a few hundred in towtruck fees and a few hours in the cold waiting for it.
Homeless person who pissed his life away dispite our enourmous social security hammock wanting cash for booze? Please go away.