• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

WTF was this chick thinking??? An armored Prius? LMAO!!!

Scott

Car(s)
'13 Hyundai Sonata, '95 Audi S-6 '06 Jetta TDI
This is the DUMBEST idea I have heard about in a very long time!

As seen (inexplicably) here: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1142286,00.html

Posted Monday, Dec. 19, 2005
As House minority leader, Nancy Pelosi can appoint people to high-level commissions and direct millions of federal dollars to her district. But the lawmaker from San Francisco can't pick her own car. For security reasons, congressional leaders are required to ride in vans or sport-utility vehicles driven by Capitol Hill police. Pelosi, worried about environmental impact, is no longer content to ride in a gas-guzzling black Chevy Suburban. "I want a hybrid," she told TIME last week. A few Governors and mayors have already switched to hybrid cars for their official use. But so far, Pelosi says, security officials have yet to find her a sufficiently up-armored hybrid. U.S. Capitol Police declined to comment on the required specifications.

Pelosi is trying to force Washington to go high tech on other fronts as well. In a recent meeting with Google co-founder Larry Page, Pelosi told him of the Democrats' plan to try to make broadband Internet access available nationwide in 10 years. "Ten, why not two?" Page responded, so Pelosi split the difference and is aiming for five years. She is also pushing the ideas of Clayton Christensen, Harvard Business School's innovation guru who says big organizations must open up to new ideas and technology or they will get left behind. Says Pelosi: "We cannot be encumbered by the old way of doing things." Capitol Hill car pool, anyone?

zenkidori said:
Her ideas on tech seem ok, but hybrid? Why not diesel?
hybrids are cooler i assume...

So when something happens, are the security people supposed to get out and help push to make a speedy getaway? :lol:

zenkidori said:
Because diesel isn't a political buzz-word like hybrid is. 8)

Plus diesel has a bad reputation over here as being noisy, loud, and more polluting.

Diesels, even modern ones, don't make California's pollution codes.

Ford make a Hybrid SUV, but it's still kindof small.

NTM

Manic Moran said:
Diesels, even modern ones, don't make California's pollution codes.

Reason number 53882952842567 why I will never live there.

Hybrids have a good fuel consumption in city traffic, and the RX400h isnt that slow either. Amouring it would require more powerful engines though. The problem with diesel is that it has more CO2 per litre, so they need to be more fuel efficient. Not to forget that diesels releases a lot more toxins. But who cares? I still prefer a diesel as motorway cruiser.

Wouldn't the extra weight of the armour affect the fuel economy?

Not really. It won't be able to move at all with all the weight.

^^ hehe :)

Diesel engines emit a lot of cancer-inducing microscopic particles indeed, but the use of filters can reduce that A LOT.

zenkidori said:

Because she is an american, and americans (most of them anyway) hate diesel engines, even though their lives depends on them. Aaaahhh, the irony! :D

Lusitano said:
zenkidori said:

Because she is an american, and americans (most of them anyway) hate diesel engines, even though their lives depends on them. Aaaahhh, the irony! :D

Americans dont make proper and modern diesel engines, putting one of those truck engines into her car would cause even worse pollution. If she wants an American car that pollutes less it has to be a hybrid. But why would you one anyway :roll: :mrgreen:

CyberMonkey said:
Aren't the hybrids in the usa Japanese?

Well, the "poster child" hybrids. The Prius and Insight. But Ford has an Escape Hybrid, GM has several trucks and suvs that are hybrids as well.

YF19pilot said:
CyberMonkey said:

Well, the "poster child" hybrids. The Prius and Insight. But Ford has an Escape Hybrid, GM has several trucks and suvs that are hybrids as well.

Are those car's already sold yet? I only remember that those were presented
You forgot the Lexus RX400h.

hajj said:
YF19pilot said:
CyberMonkey said:

Still a Toyota, as is the Highlander Hybrid. Toyota is still the poster child for hybrids.

hajj said:
YF19pilot said:
CyberMonkey said:

In regaurds to the Escape Hybrid and the GM hybrid trucks, yes they are on sale, and I've seen them driving around.

Americans dont make proper and modern diesel engines

Really? Not to start another American vs. European discussion, but that's a load of crap. The vast majority of engines developed for use in European cars are developed by American or American-owned companies. Take the Ford Duratorq for example; its used in the Modeo, Focus, Fusion and Transit, Jag X-Type and S-Type, Citroen C2, C3, C4, C5, Xsara and Berlingo, Peugeot 206, 307, 407, 607, and 1007, Mazda 5, Land Rover Discovery and Range Rover, and our favourite, the Suzuki Liana. Just because diesels aren't sold over here doesn't mean we can't make them; we just don't have the market for them - not many gas stations sell diesel, especially in the cities, and we don't have astronomical fuel prices to force us to switch to diesel, which is the sole reason for their popularity in Europe.