X: Rebirth- My favorite nerd space sim series!

hiimandy1

Car(s)
ATS
http://www.egosoft.com/games/x_rebirth/info_en.php

Varied gameplay elements such as action-packed space combat, detailed trading mechanics and high-speed space exploration with fast travel allow players to experience a truly unique space saga that will keep them hooked for dozens of hours.

Ignore the vagueness of the trailer, these games have always focused more on "the universe is yours to explore GO!" and less on a set plot. Anyone else here play the X series? It hasn't got a super huge following, but surely SOMEONE else is as excited as me?

I tried to get into X3 after enjoying Freelancer and looking for similar games. I think if I got over the initial learning curve it would have been great (though they could have made an easier way to do so).

One thing that Freelancer did well though was the space highway ring things. Rather than just warping everywhere, they made a method of traveling that really felt like traveling. For me it added a lot to the immersion. It seemed like in X3, you just warp to whatever system is in range, then warp again until you get to your destination.

The learning curve for the X games was rediculous, it took me pretty much all of X2 to understand what I was supposed to do for X3. I never played Freelancer, if it ever pops up on Steam I'll give it a try.

I've been thinking about trying X3. Problem is, I have no idea where to get a demo or if there even is one. And I'd rather not "acquire" it to try.

^There's a demo, on Steam probably, or google. Just make sure you define "playable" demo, because there is a benchmark demo as well.

I never really "got" the X games like I "got" Freelancer. Just a different style really. The complexity was nothing, though. If you want complex try Battlecruiser Millennium.

Ignore the vagueness of the trailer, these games have always focused more on "the universe is yours to explore GO!" and less on a set plot. Anyone else here play the X series? It hasn't got a super huge following, but surely SOMEONE else is as excited as me?

Yes I play it. (although not atm, awaiting the next patch for XTC)
And also eagerly awaiting Rebirth, June's the month for new info so I'm looking forward to it