Xbox Live subscription hike

MadCat360

Forum Addict
Car(s)
*Carless* Waaahhh
I know it's just not only multiplayer, but it's ridiculous to not let people play online unless they pay. Anyway, here we don't get neither Microsoft Xbox 360 Live, Sony Playstation 3 Store or the Nintendo Wii Shop.

whats worse is that they've cancelled 1vs 100 and there's been no significant inprovement in the service for years. i can't see how they can justify a price hike. of course this won't stop me from paying them of course. Xbox Live is still much better compared to the PlayStation Network.

I better renew my subscription then before they jack up the price too much.

Well since the 12m UK price isn't affected I'm not too concerned, but I doubt I'll renew straight away, I only did it last year because of Forza 3.

Thankfully(?) my annual subscription expires soon, so I'll be able to hop on the lower price :p

Rumor seems to have it that the price increase is mainly due to the addition of ESPN to the dashboard. Personally, i've all but stopped playing online games now so i doubt I'll renew at all, price hike or not.

Rumor seems to have it that the price increase is mainly due to the addition of ESPN to the dashboard. Personally, i've all but stopped playing online games now so i doubt I'll renew at all, price hike or not.

makes me wonder since its not just the states that is seeing a price hike. is the ESPN feature even coming to the uk? i mean, i'd hate the price hike reason to be a feature i can't even access.

For those that are a bit tight in the budget, you can get XboxLive cards from NewEgg for $40. I think you can still get a deal on the dashboard too. Of course I got my cards about 4 months ago for $30. It really pays to watch for the price of this stuff.

whats worse is that they've cancelled 1vs 100 and there's been no significant inprovement in the service for years. i can't see how they can justify a price hike. of course this won't stop me from paying them of course. Xbox Live is still much better compared to the PlayStation Network.
This. I would gladly renew my subscription if I could keep playing 1 vs 100 all the time. Last.fm on the Xbox is very nice, because it means I can play it through my surround sound... but I can do without that, too.

I have a hard time justifying spending $5/month on something that I don't really use much. Of course, my regular subscription ends on the 7th this month, so I don't need to worry about the $60 price until next year. :p

When you buy the year subscription, at CURRENTprices, it's $4.17 a month. In November, it's going to be $5. To me, this is a very small price to pay for the quality and amount of features Live offers.

Last edited:
Its good to know MS listened to all of the people who said XBLA should be free, and they respond by upping the price.

I hear what yall are saying, but its mostly gaming. If the gaming were free, I'd be happy. But I pay for gaming and all this other stuff I don't want to use. I'd suggest coming up with other levels of service, but everyone will stick with the gaming level no matter what it is. Might as well make us pay for all of the crap.

That's what I was saying. Why deny people free online multiplayer? And I've been hearing rumors of Activision trying to do something similar on PC

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not paying unlimited monthly subscriptions for anything if there is an alternative. This price hike really does seem unjustified when all of the competition is free... even if it's not quite as good. But they've got people trapped. You can't switch out Live like you can switch out an ISP. You are tied to your hardware unless you want to make another big investment.

Last edited:
But they've got people trapped.
I fail to see how they're the ones doing the trapping, if you're the one buying the console.

It sounds like you're saying it's Microsoft's fault that you bought the console and games, and then can't just magically have a PS3 instead.

Last edited:
I would be really cross right now, if I paid for the service. What does annoy me, is the fact that artificial limits are imposed, such as waiting a week for certain free content. I can't believe they even charge for Gold, anyway. All it does is connect you to some screaming tween, who can't play the game properly.

What really pissed me off is that their service uses Xbox to host the games. XboxLive is a peer-to-peer network for gaming.. so what the hell am I paying for? if I play Halo or COD online.. I am limited by some user's shitty ISP and location away from me. I wouldn't mind if it was centralized server clouds somewhere.. but no I gotta connect to some 12 yr old hosting a Halo game on his 1.5mbit DSL... which gives him the supreme advantage.

images

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited: