XGames 2008 - Rally

Couldn't Mirra have avoided hitting the wall if he just hit the power instead of locking up the brakes?

Couldn't Mirra have avoided hitting the wall if he just hit the power instead of locking up the brakes?

Yah you could tell this isn't his natural sport. Anyone who drives in winter knows that locking up your wheels makes you go straight.

Now whether or not power would've helped I'm not sure, I'm no rally driver, but getting off the brakes [or just only partially on them] would've greatly increased his chances of avoiding the barrier. Then again in that situation, I'm sure most people would've done exactly what he did.. lol

As much as I like Pastrana, I wanted Foust to win just because he's on Top Gear.

side note: why can't we have something like this every week? This was one of the most entertaining things I've watching in a long time.

Yah you could tell this isn't his natural sport. Anyone who drives in winter knows that locking up your wheels makes you go straight.

But he had to have received some kind of training, or practice for that matter, leading up to this. He should have known that. All around he was terrible and only got lucky someone else crashed and his car was damaged to the threshold of undrivable.

Great win for TP.

Nice to see they remembered Colin.:cry:

Hope theres xvid cap of it somewhere?

Grats for Pastrana, good to see some '08s tearing it up around the track :mrgreen:. Poor Evo did a flippy..I was waiting for him to get back on all fours and go for it!

That was decidedly anti-climactic. The race was won halfway through.

Why do they all have to slide on tarmac? I can understand a little drift if you have a really stiff diff but still.

the mitsu would of won against mira me thinkys. Good race, i was really rooting for tanner as he has been doing this for so much longer and for some reason i just like seeing TP lose :D

That was decidedly anti-climactic. The race was won halfway through.

Why do they all have to slide on tarmac? I can understand a little drift if you have a really stiff diff but still.

think dirt tires and tread.

But he had to have received some kind of training, or practice for that matter, leading up to this. He should have known that. All around he was terrible and only got lucky someone else crashed and his car was damaged to the threshold of undrivable.

I couldn't help but think that. He is just a name to get more people watching, which I guess is good for the sport. If people get excited about this maybe the Speed TV will get back to showing WRC and other forms of racing rather than nascar live cam views of sleeping pit crews 12 hours a day. But as he stumbled through the rounds I kept thinking where is X games rally going? Is it going to turn into "celebrity rally" with Tony Hawk battling bob burnquist in the "skateboarding bracket"? Travis at least came from the world of dirt racing, it was on 2 wheels but it was still motorized dirt racing.

I know it would be next to impossible to talk a WRC driver into doing it but personally I would rather see a race between 2 people I've never heard of that did test driving or stunt driving for the fast and the furious tokyo drift (flash back a year ago and I would have no idea who Tanner was) in a close great race. Mirra looked ok, better than I would have done or I thought he would do but you can still tell he's an amateur and hasn't dedicated more than a year to it.

And another small rant. Why did they try to say he Dave had "determination" for finishing? He was DRIVING A CAR. He wasn't like Danny Way getting up after that huge slam after docs told him to stop and doing an insane run (that IMO should have beat bob) he wasn't even driving a broken car vs a normal car and still winning. He was driving a broken car vs nobody with no time limit. My mom could have finished. Other than being lazy because he "won" once he left the stadium there is no real reason to quit. Maybe I could see quitting so you don't damage it anymore but still, that's not determination. Typical ESPN overhype.

Other than those minor points it was entertaining. I still liked skateboarding big air the most but that's apples and oranges

I know it would be next to impossible to talk a WRC driver into doing it but personally I would rather see a race between 2 people I've never heard of that did test driving or stunt driving for the fast and the furious tokyo drift (flash back a year ago and I would have no idea who Tanner was) in a close great race. Mirra looked ok, better than I would have done or I thought he would do but you can still tell he's an amateur and hasn't dedicated more than a year to it.

Tanned foust has been doing this for awhile, so has the Canadian team, along with Matt Johnson has also been doing this for awhile now. if you have heard of these guys outside of rally I'm impressed. And the only reason why block, TP and mira are doing this and doing so good, is the money. Seriously, most of these teams arnt even sponsored by Subaru, or monster, or redbull, or DC. It's kind of a bummer not seeing these other indy teams getting more credit and beat just because they cant afford the new cars.

I'm divided. The whole thing is kinda a joke and show boating, but it's getting the word of rally out there, and hopefully we'll see more of it.

Now whether or not power would've helped I'm not sure, I'm no rally driver, but getting off the brakes [or just only partially on them] would've greatly increased his chances of avoiding the barrier. Then again in that situation, I'm sure most people would've done exactly what he did.. lol

I was actually thinking that he shoulda gotten on the power it might have lessened the damage at least. Then again I don't think I could react quickly enough to do that either.

Overall I like X Games rally, nothing will ever beat McRae's run against TP when he just got back on power after flipping :)

Also was it just me or did Foust's co-driver just there to look cute? I didn't really see her out of helmet but the in car shots had her not saying shit as opposed to Bosley who was giving directions to TP the whole time even though he didn't really need it.

It would be nice to see a rally stage that is a real rally stage but is done F1 style with cars overtaking each other instead of timed as usual. They would have to take off in a very open area of course otherwise it would just be unsafe.

It would be nice to see a rally stage that is a real rally stage but is done F1 style with cars overtaking each other instead of timed as usual. They would have to take off in a very open area of course otherwise it would just be unsafe.

It exists, well sortof. Rallycross in Europe. Sorry for the lack of english, skip to about 2.5min in for the start.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNhBhclEAiI[/youtube]

Yes, European Rallycross is so intense. I love it. Don't EVER go to an American "rallycross," it's not going to be what you expected.

American rallycross is a dirt version of autocross. Two very different things, you went to an SCCA rallycross thinking it was the Euro professional version? Sorry, that would be a disappointment, but with the American version you yourself could drive adding a little fun.

American rallycross is a dirt version of autocross. Two very different things, you went to an SCCA rallycross thinking it was the Euro professional version? Sorry, that would be a disappointment, but with the American version you yourself could drive adding a little fun.

No no no, I'm warning people that didn't know, haha. It's another one of those times where America takes a word that means something to the rest of the world(i.e. Football, Rallycross), and changes it ONLY for the US. Yep, that's SMART.

think dirt tires and tread.

So? Still faster to drive it. Think about what you just said; less grip. So, in a slide, it would drift understeer like crap and you'd have to scrub more speed to make the turn and be close to the same speed as you would be if you just "drove" the corner. Even if they're running with stiff diffs (I don't know) then it still isn't ideal to slide. Yes it's true that the stiffer the differential the more slide you need since the inner tire is covering less distance but it's only up to a point. Even with a locked diff or a solid axle like a kart or old F1 car the most you ever want is a 4-wheel drift and even so it's almost impossible to spot unless you know what you're watching.

Colin used to drive the corners really nice. He crushed the drifters doing that on tarmac at the X games.

Here. You watch. No opposite lock. He 4-wheel drifts. No sttering input means you're going as fast as is physically possible for the car.

Last edited: