Yamaha YZF-R3 recall

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
Thanks for posting this. I'm looking to get my first sport bike, and was considering the R3. If I end up looking at one, I'll be sure that its had the recall done.

Thanks for posting this. I'm looking to get my first sport bike, and was considering the R3. If I end up looking at one, I'll be sure that its had the recall done.

Just get a used R6. Its a better all-around bike.

:idiot:

New R3 = $4,990
Used R6 = $3,000

Everytime i walk into the yamaha dealer (which is behind my house), there is always someone who bought an R3, rode it for 1,000 miles, and trades it for an R6. The collection of used R3s at the dealer is massive. At least 12 used R3s and zero used R6 models.

If you are really set on small displacement Yamaha, get a WR250X.

Except the dealers sell used R6s with 1000 miles for $4100 so you arnt saving very much, and then you will trade it in.

I think I am the only one on this forum who has ridden a R3. Had it on the street and small track. Its slow, feels like a toy, and I would much rather have a supermoto for the price.

That's the point (for a learner, at least).

If that is the case, there are better learning motorcycles out there. Plus a learner is gonna drop the bike within the first few months (everyone does) so buying a new bike is waste.

WR250X.... just as slow as an R3, better handling, and easier to ride. Win Win. Plus you can drop it, pick it up, and keep riding.

....or get a DRZ400SM.

WR250X.... just as slow as an R3, better handling, and easier to ride. Win Win. Plus you can drop it, pick it up, and keep riding.

....or get a DRZ400SM.
See? That's the kind of advice you give a new rider. That's a legit beginner bike argument. Not hurrdurr buy a supersport.

See? That's the kind of advice you give a new rider. That's a legit beginner bike argument. Not hurrdurr buy a supersport.

If someone has experience with fast cars and is a responsible drivers, i have no problem recommending a Supersport 600. There are way better beginner bikes, but a bike is only as fast as you twist the throttle.

I started out on a 600 and downgraded to a 250 Supermoto lol

Bikes (that fast) and cars are night and day. I wouldn't put some kid with a learners permit in an 11 second car and expect everything to shake out.

You're coming at it ass backwards and you're probably gonna get to become a better rider with more seat time on the WR.

Bikes (that fast) and cars are night and day. I wouldn't put some kid with a learners permit in an 11 second car and expect everything to shake out.

You're coming at it ass backwards and you're probably gonna get to become a better rider with more seat time on the WR.

Don't bother, that asshat is beyond saving.

Plus a learner is gonna drop the bike within the first few months (everyone does)

I didn't drop a bike until I was on my third bike about a year and a half after I started riding.
My first proper "crash" was after over 2 years of riding. (Riding when it's damn near freezing isn't a great idea)
Did realise fairly quickly (about 30 minutes after I started the ride back home) that a +100hp bike isn't a stellar idea when you have little experience.

Last edited:
Two posts. We managed to get two on-topic posts before Hand managed to derail yet another thread with a non sequitur comment better left to twitter.

Can we please just use the rep system and not respond to this clown anymore?

I didn't drop a bike until I was on my third bike about a year and a half after I started riding.
My first proper "crash" was after over 2 years of riding. (Riding when it's damn near freezing isn't a great idea)
Did realise fairly quickly (about 30 minutes after I started the ride back home) that a +100hp bike isn't a stellar idea when you have little experience.

Yeah, took me about 3 years to drop mine. And that could've been avoided if it wasn't for my temper :D
Had a few 'almosts' but managed to save it. I understand the sentiment behind the 'you're gonna drop it', but it's not a rule.
I feel like it's better to say that you 'might' drop it within a first few months. :) I've had previous experience though. Well, if you count 50cc, 2 stroke, 60kg of 1984 bike experience, hehe

And also, reccomending a supermoto to someone who has expressed desire to get a sport bike is like saying take a BMX bike to a road bicycle race, it's basically the same thing

Regardless if people say "Yeah, you can start with a 600cc bike" or not, I don't want to get a bike that big when I'm learning to ride. I've never ridden a bike before, so this I'm starting at ground zero. Am I mature enough not to go for it? Yeah, but I don't see that as enough justification to "sack up" and get a bigger bike. I'm happy to stick with a little beginner 300/250cc bike. I fully expect to make mistakes while I learn to ride. Its when you crash and not if, right? I'm ok with something forgiving and slow, and something that isn't super intimidating.

I have a Miata and a Porsche Cayman. I would like to think the 300cc sport bikes are like the Miata. Sporty, good handling, but not super fast. I expect a 300 to be fun, still have some challenge to really get all the bike has to offer, and be a giggle. Will I want something faster eventually, sure. I'm not going to act on that feeling for at least a year or till I'm totally comfortable on a 300cc.

I'm also not worried about the money lost with having a 300cc for a short period of time before doing the, what everyone says is, inevitable upgrade to a 600cc.

So people are welcome to recommend a 600cc or 1000cc bike to me all day long. I will play this on the safe side. I'm learning.

i started out on a 600c with zero experience....never even rode a dirtbike. People on this forum exaggerate 600cc bikes and make them seem like they are warp speed machines when it simply is not true. Take everything people say on this forum with a grain of salt.