Yamaha YZF-R3 recall

i started out on a 600c with zero experience....never even rode a dirtbike. People on this forum exaggerate 600cc bikes and make them seem like they are warp speed machines when it simply is not true. Take everything people say on this forum with a grain of salt.

You see, not everyone is as awesome as you.
Shentar already decided he wants to start small, so respect his decision.
Also, this is about the R3 recall, not "which motorcycle should I get as a beginner?" thread.

Regardless if people say "Yeah, you can start with a 600cc bike" or not, I don't want to get a bike that big when I'm learning to ride. I've never ridden a bike before, so this I'm starting at ground zero. Am I mature enough not to go for it? Yeah, but I don't see that as enough justification to "sack up" and get a bigger bike. I'm happy to stick with a little beginner 300/250cc bike. I fully expect to make mistakes while I learn to ride. Its when you crash and not if, right? I'm ok with something forgiving and slow, and something that isn't super intimidating.

I have a Miata and a Porsche Cayman. I would like to think the 300cc sport bikes are like the Miata. Sporty, good handling, but not super fast. I expect a 300 to be fun, still have some challenge to really get all the bike has to offer, and be a giggle. Will I want something faster eventually, sure. I'm not going to act on that feeling for at least a year or till I'm totally comfortable on a 300cc.

I'm also not worried about the money lost with having a 300cc for a short period of time before doing the, what everyone says is, inevitable upgrade to a 600cc.

So people are welcome to recommend a 600cc or 1000cc bike to me all day long. I will play this on the safe side. I'm learning.

Yep, you're not a motorcyclist until you've had at least one crash. Crashes are great learning experiences, as in "I'll learn not to grab the front brakes again".

A 250/300, even up to a lower-powered 500 will be much more forgiving than a 600 supersport. You won't Insta-Die if you start on a 600, it's just easier to start on something smaller. One recommendation: think about a naked bike rather than a faired/sports bike. The plastics can be expensive to replace if you do drop it.

Yep, you're not a motorcyclist until you've had at least one crash. Crashes are great learning experiences, as in "I'll learn not to grab the front brakes again".

A 250/300, even up to a lower-powered 500 will be much more forgiving than a 600 supersport. You won't Insta-Die if you start on a 600, it's just easier to start on something smaller. One recommendation: think about a naked bike rather than a faired/sports bike. The plastics can be expensive to replace if you do drop it.

Can you not buy a fairings bike and just take them off? I've wondered about that. The CB300F is a naked CBR300, but why not just get the fairings and then take them off?

I have a ton of motorcyle questions, but I don't want to derail this thread more than it is. Sorry about that.

I didn't drop a bike until I was on my third bike about a year and a half after I started riding.
My first proper "crash" was after over 2 years of riding. (Riding when it's damn near freezing isn't a great idea)
Did realise fairly quickly (about 30 minutes after I started the ride back home) that a +100hp bike isn't a stellar idea when you have little experience.

I didn't drop a bike until my V7; over cooked a corner like an idiot and sent it sliding to the shoulder. I tipped my CX500 over while stationary, but that doesn't count (though a trillion times more embarrassing).

Can we please just use the rep system and not respond to this clown anymore?
:thumbup:

I didn't drop a bike until my V7; over cooked a corner like an idiot and sent it sliding to the shoulder. I tipped my CX500 over while stationary, but that doesn't count (though a trillion times more embarrassing).
:lol: Man you guys make me feel bad. I laid my little XL250 down four or five times. Mostly when blasting around on gravel roads. One time in a low water crossing, that was actually a little scary.

Low-sided my VFR pretty hard once thanks to wet leaves too. Getting up after that made me wish I was still on that light little XL.

:lol: Man you guys make me feel bad. I laid my little XL250 down four or five times. Mostly when blasting around on gravel roads. One time in a low water crossing, that was actually a little scary.

The other way around, you had an excuse. It would be like saying "I pee'd my pants, while surfboarding a nuclear blast".

I think an FZ07 is better than an R3 for the street

He's trolling. Put him on your ignore list, down vote his stupidity, and move on.

The problem is that i state my opinion backed with facts and real world experience...... but then some users on this board seem to have problems when other people state opinion and those users really need to realized what a forum is all about.

"I pee'd my pants, while surfboarding a nuclear blast".
:lol: Unfortunately there were witnesses. Place looks like this, and a couple of my buddies were down there.

08pillsburycrossing8.JPG

The problem is that i ...
... pointlessly act like a fucking asshole who is God's gift to motorcycling. Problem is you don't know the meaning of hubris.

That's why most of these guys won't give you the time of day anymore.

As for the FZ07, as great as it is, it's not a beginner bike. Not like an R3 or Ninja 300 is anyway. It's got twice the power and nearly 1.5x the price tag.

The problem is that i state my opinion backed with facts and real world experience...... but then some users on this board seem to have problems when other people state opinion and those users really need to realized what a forum is all about.

The problem with your opinions is that they are idiotic and asinine. You've insulted pretty everyone in this subform, and think your bro attitude is appreciated. I don't think there is anyone in this subform who gives two shits about what you think. Forums are about the gathering of people who find one another interesting, sorry sunshine, no one thinks you are interesting here.

The problem with your opinions is that they are idiotic and asinine. You've insulted pretty everyone in this subform, and think your bro attitude is appreciated. I don't think there is anyone in this subform who gives two shits about what you think. Forums are about the gathering of people who find one another interesting, sorry sunshine, no one thinks you are interesting here.

Deep down inside I feel that you think I am the most interesting of all....because you quote and respond to almost all my posts.

Can I neg rep you again already? ... Nope. Well shit.

Deep down inside I feel that you think I am the most interesting of all....because you quote and respond to almost all my posts.

:rolleyes:

And you go into a hissy fit whenever someone doesn't agree with you. You jump on others and go on rants whenever someone dares such a thing. No one here likes you, just leave already.

I do regularly quote people, either to help clarify discussion, or in your case to prevent people from editing their posts ex post facto.

Last edited:

You mistake attention with interest. You mistake acknowledgement with approval. You are annoying, disruptive and abrasive. You are a lifted truck rolling coal on the way to a Nickelback concert.
Go ride with your bros and stop talking shit here. Go ride in your spotless car with your girlfriend. Go sell your cleaning products to someone that actually cares.
In short, just GO AWAY. Please. I'm asking you as nicely as I can, and since you don't seem like someone that might just stop being an acerbic douchebag, I have little faith in giving you advice, so just please vanish.
I never put another user on my ignore list and I rather keep it that way, but you're really making an effort trying to be the first.