Yes... It's another "can't choose" thread

mmap

Sooo... Having paid my current car of, I have naturally spent the last few days looking for a new(er) one...

The weather being what is it, I feel like having a RWD car (snow = FUN).

As a result I've sorta limited my choices to two options.

The BMW 316 or the Merc C-class Coupe.

I like Beemers always have. The early 2000 models (within my price range) are some of the best looking cars made to date (IMO). The only real down side is the lack of power in the 316 engine and the fact that I cannot (cleanly) install my iPhone compatibe Kenwood strereo!!!! I spent a lot of time and money to find a system that not only works, but looks good as well. Most of the players that claim to be iPhone compatible were anything but...

As a general rule I feel that the BMW is a solid car, that should be realiable (although I dare not count the money I spent fixing my last Beemer...)

The merc looks nice as well, but not as good as the beemer. Performance-wise I don't think there's a difference. I can obviously cleanly install the Kenwood (which I really REALLY wanna keep). The problem is I know next to nothing about this model... Is it any good, is it reliable, will I be spending a fortune on maintanance and parts...

This car would have to last at least 3-4 years (not that I've EVER kept a car that long). So I would really like to make the more logical choice.

decisions decision...

get a e34 5 series with the m50 engine, best car in the world, long wheelbase, and some came with lsd from the factory

= instant win

So it's E46 vs W203? I'd say an E46 then, but get a clean, non-pikey one.

It is, the cars he's looking for are somewhere around 10k euro and a bearable E34 is 5ke.

get a e34 5 series with the m50 engine, best car in the world, long wheelbase, and some came with lsd from the factory

= instant win

IF only I had the money to have more than one car, then, yes I'd buy one of those just for the sake of having one.

Unfortunately I would like a car made after the year 2000... It's silly I know, but I do visits custoemrs etc. a lot and a clean newish car does make a difference.

Wasn't that about when Mercedes briefly forgot how to build cars? I'd take the BMW simply because of that.

Wasn't that about when Mercedes briefly forgot how to build cars? I'd take the BMW simply because of that.

That was sort of my first memory of the era as well... I was kinda hoping that they would have learned by the early noughties already. The merc are consistently more expensive that the beemers in here so people do still seem to prefer them for some reason

I'd go for the BMW, it's just a better car than the merc, but with the 1.8l engine in the 316i, it's just too slow. Save up some money and get one with a bigger engine, especially if you're going to keep it for so damn long, you'll get tired with the massive 115Hp.

I never really understodd how that is... Car with similar weight and a smaller 1.6 liter engine are consistently quicker (Focus, Mazda's, Honda's etc.). How can the BMW be so slow and gutless?

Even today is you go and buy a 116 for example the engine is UNBELIEVABLY unwilling to work... One would imagine that the engine would not be the weakest point in a BMW.

Are you considering a sedan or a coup? E46? If it's compact you're after then I'd go for the merc. :D
What engine would the merc have?

I'd probably go for the BMW but with a bigger engine. Not because Clarkson says so but I think a proper BMW should have a straight six. It's what they do best.

There's some iPod kits for the E46:
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?cPath=67_69_135_170&products_id=1620

Here's Clarkson's review by the way:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q2htEzjx8E[/YOUTUBE]

If you can get an E46 with a straight six, I'd go for that one, if not, the Merc. Or you could spend a lot less on an E36 (The prices of those have dropped a LOT in the past few years) 325i, and save up a bit for a nicer E46.. A friend I go to school with owns an E46 328Ci, and to be honest, I don't think it's special enough to warrant the cost difference from E36->E46..

^I agree- if you can find an E36 328Ci or even an M3 (taxes/insurance?) get it. Yes, it requires more maintenance, but it's sharper, a better driver and cheaper. I love my 330, but if it had a smaller engine, I simply wouldn't- I would have gotten something different. Look at Alfas if you're looking to impress people with style and such while still having a very good car. 156s still look brand new to many people, so I'd look at those.

I did look at Alfas and tested a few 156's, but even the low mileage ones felt cheap and worn down. The clucth was all mushy and numb, the gearboxes were vague, the seats offered next to no support at all.

So didn't much care for those...

I think I'll try to save up a few more months and then go for a six sylinder engine version.