Yet another car replacement thread

That is the new body style with the glass auto. The old body style had the old but stupid reliable 3 speed. The 3 speed was the correct choice because it was all but unkillable. It helped make the Neon name.

Everything i've read says the 3 speed was carry over until 2002 when the 4 speed arrived. Anyway since the panel gaps are not normal then pass.

For that matter, here is a random second gen Neon I just came across in the parking lot after picking up some food - compare for yourselves.

q2mg9Ki.jpg

OFFS just buy a damn car already. You're only going to break it or stack it before the 4th of July.

Jesus, Rick, you couldn't organise a bunfight in a frikkin' bakery! :lol:

OFFS just buy a damn car already. You're only going to break it or stack it before the 4th of July.

Jesus, Rick, you couldn't organise a bunfight in a frikkin' bakery! :lol:

:lol: Yeah, pretty damn sad huh?

Tauri: No. They're about to need transmissions again and likely heater cores as well.

Elantra: That might not be too bad, but it is highly likely to need a new clutch soon due to age and mileage (Korean clutches were suspicious back then in terms of aging.)

Here's a better choice: http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/4375527436.html
Might be worth looking at, but run away if it is an automatic. http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/4375427686.html
http://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/4371712044.html

That Accord is an automatic, the V6 wasn't available with a stick in that generation.

That Infiniti looks amazing.

Took a look at the explorer today after work. The car seemed to be OK overall appearance wise. Tiny bit of rust below the left rear door. Frame looked rust free which was good.

Underhood was disappointing. There was duct tape holding the air filter box shut along with another underhood component.
(I think it was the brake booster...it was a flat round thing against the firewall on the passenger side)

I also heard a periodic "click" too..occurred about every 3 seconds. Didn't seem to be coming from the engine itself, seemed more electrical in nature.

Final nail: like the Camry, I couldn't get the seller to inspect the car first. It had to be registered in my name before that would be done. He says that he had his mechanic look it over and the guy said it would pass no issue.

It must be a stupid PA thing... It's one reason why inspected cars go for a premium here and go quickly.

Onto the next one.

Rick, maybe you should try yo look at more than one car a day...

Rick, maybe you should try yo look at more than one car a day...

I tried to do that. Took off work two entire days.

Each day, something (or multiple things) happened that prevented me from looking at more than one car.

I can't take any more unscheduled time off to do this and there's only so much time I have to travel to the seller at a reasonable hour. I left for the seller of the explorer at 6:00 and got there by 7:19. By the time I was done talking to the guy it was probably 7:30 or so.

Then I has to travel back to Carlisle. Bam 8 pm and a time when most go "can you visit tomorrow?"

Rinse and repeat.

The mercury seller finally returned my call....only to say he can see me at 3 tomorrow. I made no indication that I'd do that whatsoever...so needless to say a callback was made. Got his answering machine (seriously, if I have to listen to another goddamn answering machine....).

He says we can meet around 6:30 or so. So that's on my agenda for tomorrow. Because Airville is about a hour and a half away, if this doesn't work out, it'll be the same old shit.

The windows don't work apparently but I'm not concerned with that.

This is why you go looking at cars with your temporary transport as soon as you possibly can. Not wait until some nebulous date in the future. :p

Windows (multiple) not working on a Panther chassis car is usually the switch pack in the door failing. Cheap and easy to replace.

- - - Updated - - -

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/4376731286.html
Well, here's a surprise... though it appears to be a scumbag dealer: http://york.craigslist.org/ctd/4376327692.html Have to take care of the rust on it ASAP though.
Driver door takes 10 minutes to pull off at a junkyard and about 15 minutes to replace: http://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/4376110143.html

Also, what of the Infiniti I posted earlier?

Last edited:
Final nail: like the Camry, I couldn't get the seller to inspect the car first. It had to be registered in my name before that would be done. He says that he had his mechanic look it over and the guy said it would pass no issue.

It must be a stupid PA thing... It's one reason why inspected cars go for a premium here and go quickly.

Onto the next one.

Maybe that's just me, but I always thought this was standard procedure. Only dealerships will inspect cars (because they get to charge you the title and service fees). Private sellers have no responsibility to inspect the car for you. At least in WV, I remember the rule being that it didn't matter if the car was inspected or not, when a new person bought it and titled it, it had to go through inspection again.

Maybe that's just me, but I always thought this was standard procedure. Only dealerships will inspect cars (because they get to charge you the title and service fees). Private sellers have no responsibility to inspect the car for you. At least in WV, I remember the rule being that it didn't matter if the car was inspected or not, when a new person bought it and titled it, it had to go through inspection again.

That's a state by state thing. Also, it varies as to how much of a premium inspection is placed at. Here, it's practically worth nothing because most cars aren't in crappy enough of a state to not pass. As opposed to PA, where they like crappy cars to start with then they generally don't take care of them so they don't get better with age.

Last edited:
The last Merc has Kosovo and Pri?tina written on the plate. If the seller is an Albanian, chances are the car is pukka mint. The Albanians worship the 3 pointed star more than their mother.

I have to say this thread is interesting to watch. The market there is unbelievable: -01 Infiniti, -06 Civic, or any 90s crap car with huge amount of rust, all in the same price category of ~2000 USD? I'm just amazed. Here the Civic would be around 10 000 ++ USD, Infiniti probably about the same, if you can find one, and on the other hand those old Neons etc would be in sub-1000 USD category...