Ownership Verified: Yet another Tesla - Model Y LR AWD

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, Tesla Model Y
For those already familiar with the Model 3, its almost the same car, but taller and with a rear hatch instead of traditional bootlid.

Nice! Soon there'll be literally dozens of us here, dozens.

I have several friends who have test-driven my 3 and are now waiting for the Y to be available in Europe. Rear headroom and bootlid are main reasons, along with a general preference for higher seating position and "SUV practicality".

The interior really looks absolutely identical to the 3. Apart from that "NA" sticker on the screen, and Tesla stickers on the front glass :p I assume the pictures were before delivery?

I have several friends who have test-driven my 3 and are now waiting for the Y to be available in Europe. Rear headroom and bootlid are main reasons, along with a general preference for higher seating position and "SUV practicality".

You've become an evangelist for the brand. D:

Quick! Buy another MX-5!

The interior really looks absolutely identical to the 3. Apart from that "NA" sticker on the screen, and Tesla stickers on the front glass :p I assume the pictures were before delivery?

Yeah, the fact the Model 3 did not have a liftback hatch like the S was disappointing to me. And also yes, the taller crossover seating position with the ample headroom of the Y was also more attractive to both of us as a daily driver. Couple my increasingly bad back and having to load 2 small kids in and out of the car, its a life saver.

DSC05310 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

I'm confuzzled. Congrats on the new ride and all, but what does this do that the Telluride can't?

I'm confuzzled. Congrats on the new ride and all, but what does this do that the Telluride can't?

I'm married, my wife and I both need cars for work, we're sharing the Tesla and the Telluride as our dailies but switching back N forth depending on who needs to drive further that day or who needs more cargo space for carrying stuff or who needs a vehicle to use all 3 rows, etc...

obligatory:
hahayes.jpg

while I like the look of the plastic aero caps on the model 3, I feel the model Y aero covers are really rather horrid - any plans to replace that? :D

apart from that: one of the biggest disadvantages with the model 3 really is the accessibility of the (suprisingly large) trunk, so i can definitely understand the choice (also with two kids and a bad back). i wouldn't ever want an SUV (or crossover, in EU that's an SUV), but that's just me and my stupid principles.

Also the Tesla is being used solely as an in city commuter car for work, taking the kids the school and local errands since it's on a lease with set number of miles/yr.

The Telluride I own in full and is the other daily and designated long distance road trip car for our family vacations since we canceled all our flight plans due to Covid.

obligatory:
View attachment 3558634

while I like the look of the plastic aero caps on the model 3, I feel the model Y aero covers are really rather horrid - any plans to replace that? :D

apart from that: one of the biggest disadvantages with the model 3 really is the accessibility of the (suprisingly large) trunk, so i can definitely understand the choice (also with two kids and a bad back). i wouldn't ever want an SUV (or crossover, in EU that's an SUV), but that's just me and my stupid principles.

If we Americans actually had a decent selection of performance estates in the US, then our dependence of crossovers would be less of an issue.

But not gonna lie, as I get older and my body more broken and disabled, climbing in and out of a taller vehicle is much easier.

That's why I only drive my Porsche 2 days a week at most and I have to be in the mood to do so.

No plans to change the ugly wheel covers since we're not keeping it long term. I'm choosing not to invest money in new wheels, I do all that on my 911 and the Telluride has new offroad wheels and tires on order.

congratz on the car!

Looks great, I really like that hatchback. It's impressive how many members have a Tesla now, I suppose that idea that you can't be a car enthusiast and drive an electric car is very much busted.

Looks great, I really like that hatchback. It's impressive how many members have a Tesla now, I suppose that idea that you can't be a car enthusiast and drive an electric car is very much busted.

I have my eye on the upcoming Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo Sportback estate a few years down the line.

Is the roof still attached?

All joking aside, congrats on the new purchase.

Latest software update increased the max range from 316 to 326. Let's see how this change reflects in real world driving.

Showing off the progress of our new 2 EV charging setup in our garage:

So we got our MY last year but since we don't drive it a ton on a daily basis, especially with my wife working from home (her primary car) so we got by with slow charging of a standard 110V outlet and had no issues with keeping the battery charged up.

But I recently sold my 911 (pictured below) and planning to replace it with a 2nd EV (a non Tesla brand) so we decided it was time to spend the money on a proper EV charging setup at home.

FB_IMG_1618343897135.jpg
FB_IMG_1618343900567.jpg
FB_IMG_1618343904693.jpg
FB_IMG_1618343907148.jpg

Prior to moving into this house the previous owners had this really janky and dangerous looking electrical setup that was partly used for their old Dish TV satellite system (as seen in the Porsche photo) so that was all torn down, the main breaker box (on the other side of that wall) was accessed from inside the garage, two new 50A breakers were installed each powering their own NEMA 14-50 outlet, with a junction box installed in the attic crawl space up the garage so power could be more easily routed to the 2nd 14-50 outlet in the main garage bay where the Tesla is currently parked.

The 2nd smaller garage bay where the majority of the work was done, the drywall was patched back up, repainted, and the standard 110v outlets were relocated and cleaned up as well. Overall not a cheap job but very happy with the results and anticipating the 2nd EV to arrive later this year.

FB_IMG_1618343913059.jpg
FB_IMG_1618343916949.jpg

Now getting 30 mi/hr charging on the Y at home, not bad ??

Now getting 30 mi/hr charging on the Y at home, not bad ??

Having worked in the EV charging space for 5 years, I've come to the conclusion that 90% of people will never need to have a full blown wallbox installed in their home, ever... of course I could never actually say that too loudly, because that'd mean we wouldn't sell any!

I've occasionally resorted to charging on the small tesla brick (over here usually only used as a last resort) on Schuko (although certain people tell you not to), and even that throttled down to 10A resulted in a 15 km/h charge - so 150-200 km overnight. Very few people actually drive that much over the course of the day. Improving on that by installing a cheap blue CEE16 (the "camping socket") would even result in 24 km/h or something, totally sufficient (and without the schuko nay-sayers panicking) and possibly saving you a thousand euromonies (because despite the fact that the german state will subsidize home wallboxes with 900€, there still has to be an electritian putting 3-phase power to the wallbox, installing it and putting their signature on the fact that it's all well and proper).