Ownership Verified: Yet another Tesla - Model Y LR AWD

There may be a handful or so over here. In the early days (May 2020) some German dudes went to the trouble of importing one... can't possibly be the only ones to do so. A german EV rental firm also imported an early Model 3 in early 2018.

Having worked in the EV charging space for 5 years, I've come to the conclusion that 90% of people will never need to have a full blown wallbox installed in their home, ever... of course I could never actually say that too loudly, because that'd mean we wouldn't sell any!

I've occasionally resorted to charging on the small tesla brick (over here usually only used as a last resort) on Schuko (although certain people tell you not to), and even that throttled down to 10A resulted in a 15 km/h charge - so 150-200 km overnight. Very few people actually drive that much over the course of the day. Improving on that by installing a cheap blue CEE16 (the "camping socket") would even result in 24 km/h or something, totally sufficient (and without the schuko nay-sayers panicking) and possibly saving you a thousand euromonies (because despite the fact that the german state will subsidize home wallboxes with 900€, there still has to be an electritian putting 3-phase power to the wallbox, installing it and putting their signature on the fact that it's all well and proper).

Took me a few rereads to fully understand what you said, however I think I get it:

Yes here in California the state also offers cash back incentives to install a hardwired wall mounted level 2 charger, but I didn't want to be bound to one kind of charger, especially a Tesla wall charger, so I decided having Nema 14-50 220V outlets were flexible and universal enough to accommodate any kind of EV we bought.

Also help improve the resale value of the house when we sell it because by then EV car ownership will be the norm by that time.

Oh yeah, I didn’t even think that you additionally have the damn proprietary Tesla plug to think of! At least that’s not an issue here...

Oh yeah, I didn’t even think that you additionally have the damn proprietary Tesla plug to think of! At least that’s not an issue here...
Other note is that US power is 120v for outlets at a lower amperage; 120v - 15A circuits is the most common, so technically 120v 12A (80% safe draw), or 1.440kw/h usable. Most builds/homes do not have 240v/higher amperage circuits in them, unless the homeowner installs it afterwards.

Yeah, as a German one tends to forget that we're super spoiled in regards to the electricity supply we get at home. Always 3 phase...

Yeah, as a German one tends to forget that we're super spoiled in regards to the electricity supply we get at home. Always 3 phase...

huh? 230v/50hz is single phase. And 240V/60Hz to a house in the US is still single phase as you’re still using a neutral line but have 2 legs of power and every panel installed has 240v available, it’s just a matter of installing the circuit breaker and running the wiring.

3-phase has 3 independent legs of power and no neutral line, just a ground. I’m not smart enough to explain how that works, just that typically in the US, 3-phase is 460V with each leg of power being 288V (not 240 like you would think) or thereabouts which magically is in the 460/480 +\- 10% acceptable range of deviation. Some areas of the country will be 220/240V sometimes 230V, but that’s less common. Toronto has 575V for 3-phase as well just to make things interesting.

I should clarify what I meant maybe: we spoiled Germans all get 3phase (with neutral) 230/400V in our homes.

the amount of differences you have is crazy to me ?

I should clarify what I meant maybe: we spoiled Germans all get 3phase (with neutral) 230/400V in our homes.

the amount of differences you have is crazy to me ?

Ahh ok. Didn’t know they supplied 3-phase everywhere like that. Here you’re lucky if you’re near an industrial area to get 3-phase as homes don’t need it. If you want 240V for a stove, furnace, or water heater, that’s easily done with existing equipment provided the panel has space for the breakers.

Other note is that US power is 120v for outlets at a lower amperage; 120v - 15A circuits is the most common, so technically 120v 12A (80% safe draw), or 1.440kw/h usable. Most builds/homes do not have 240v/higher amperage circuits in them, unless the homeowner installs it afterwards.

Electric ovens and dryers require 240 volts, and since the line is already at the house, it is foolish not to wire for those spots. We are also at a point where burning gas is becoming less appealing, so any house being built without those 2 spots is being built by a builder who is being a cheapskate.

So we returned our previous Model Y which was a lease after 2 years of ownership (my wife drives a LOT and burned thru 3 years worth of lease miles in a little over 2 years) and thanks to Tesla's rather generous early lease return terms, ended up owing ZERO fees and saved another 10 months of lease payments

FB_IMG_1675704451035.jpg

So goodbye 2020 MY LR

The same day we returned our lease, we picked up it's replacement car that we ordered a month prior:

FB_IMG_1675704519559.jpg

FB_IMG_1675704522673.jpg

Hello 2023 Model Y LR, this one we purchased instead of leased. Only real difference being the 20" black wheels and whatever cabin updates have been made since our previous Model.

Nice! Very similar development to my two Model 3s, except I took a bit longer to finish up the lease on the first one :) You also had some stuff that's new to me in the old car already (heat pump primarily). But still, nice to see you liked it enough to get a second one.

Is the spoiler aftermarket or did it come with the car? They usually only come on Performance models iirc.

We had a RPM Tesla brand matte satin black trunk lip on our MY LR. I got damaged and cracked in a 'garage related mishap' so I decided to switch things up and replace it with a matte CF style lip instead, still ABS plastic. 👍🏽

PSX_20240203_102258.jpg

PSX_20240203_102222.jpg
PSX_20240203_102150.jpg