Yet another 'what SLR should I get?'

Buy any of them but make sure that your camera accepts these sizes. (I always went for the cheapest one, no preferences at all when it comes to storage cards)

ORDERED :D

Well except the sd card, they didn't have them anywhere so I'll just use the 1 gb from my old camera untill I can get a proper one.

Hopefully I'll get it before the weekend, but it said 2-3 days, so maybe not...

ORDERED :D

Well except the sd card, they didn't have them anywhere so I'll just use the 1 gb from my old camera untill I can get a proper one.

Hopefully I'll get it before the weekend, but it said 2-3 days, so maybe not...

If you get a new SD card, make sure you get a fast one, as there are a lot of slow cheap ones around.

Yeah, that's why I wait :)

Awwwww, the postman was here when I was at work, now I have to wait till tomorrow to get my camera :cry:

What do you guys think about that Sony DSLR ( alpha ) ?

OMG OMG OMG, I was feeling a bit lucky so I went down to the postoffice to see if they had got it already, and thay had :D and I got the other stuff too (had to order from 2 different places) :D

*twiddles thumbs impatiently waiting for battery to charge*

IMG8011.JPG

omg, I love the bag :D

Yes :D

congrats!!!! Now you can play with the big boys and start showing off your gears. slr photography is an expensive hobby... sigh. I'm out of dough

Bump :)

Thought I'd just use this thread to ask more noob questions :p

I've been looking at new lenses and now I'm confused. I'd considered buying this since I got the cam, but just waited till I got the moneys.
But now I'm thinking that I might enjoy a wide or fisheye more :? So I've been looking at this, but I'm not really sure what to look for.
So my question is really are they any good or are there any better/cheaper alternatives.
Also what would you suggest I buy? I leaning more towards the fishy but my bf thinks I'm crazy for wanting that :p

Both of those are very good lenses! The 70-300VR is lightweight, sharp, and the VR works very well. The 10.5 is an excellent lens, and the only fisheye I'd use on a Nikon DX body.

As far as alternatives go, there's lots of telephoto zooms available, but if you're on a budget the Nikon 55-200VR and 70-300VR are my favorites. The 70-300 is a quite a bit larger and more expensive, but if you need the extra 100mm it's great. It's also built a bit better than the 55-200. That being said, the 55-200 is also a very good lens and is bargain-priced. Neither lens has a rotating front element, so using filters is a breeze.

Photozone reviews:

55-200VR

70-300VR

As far as alternatives to the fisheye, there aren't many. Sigma recently released a 10mm, but I haven't seen any shots from it and doubt it will perform as well at the optically excellent Nikkor. Tokina makes a 10-17mm fisheye zoom, but I was decidedly unimpressed with the image quality, and it's barely cheaper than the Nikkor.

Here's the Photozone review anyway:

10.5mm Fisheye-Nikkor

10-17mm Tokina

^ Thank you :)

I'm not really on a budget, and I could prolly afford to buy both, and I think I will at some point. It was more if there was something equally for less or something better for the same.

As far as alternatives to the fisheye, there aren't many. Sigma recently released a 10mm, but I haven't seen any shots from it and doubt it will perform as well at the optically excellent Nikkor.

I was surprised to see that here in Finland the lens has been available for a short while. I went to our local camera store to ask about the Sigma 4.5mm but they didn't have it yet, but instead gave me the 10mm to try out. I took a few test shots in the store and two "size compare" shots with the 10.5mm Nikkor (I was surprised how bulky the Sigma was, but it has HSM where the Nikkor is screw operated).

http://raparperi.1g.fi/kuvat/temp/Sigma_10mm/

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by the Sigma. I mostly shot at wide open, but I took one shot @ f/5.6 and the corners looked equally good compared to the f/2.8 shots, so it seems it's pretty damn fine regardless of aperture. I could actually consider this as an alternative to the Nikkor, if I wanted a fisheye.

It looks to be a perfectly good lens, but the fact that it's more expensive than the Nikkor kills it for me. HSM isn't really necessary in a fisheye to me, and I suspect the Nikkor will hold its value better than the Sigma.

It's this one you're talking about right? It's the only one I can find here. It's about 20% cheaper than the Nikkor here.