You know you're a car nut when....

My parents tell me of a story that when I was about 4 and we were waiting in the car in a carpark I asked them 'Why does that Vauxhall have Ford hubcaps on?' about a car on the other side of the carpark. I was right, of course.

Also: You have never enjoyed watching a football match.

My parents tell me of a story that when I was about 4 and we were waiting in the car in a carpark I asked them 'Why does that Vauxhall have Ford hubcaps on?' about a car on the other side of the carpark. I was right, of course.

I used to do that too.

Most recently I noticed a VW New Beetle had the Turbo Badge from a Volvo.

Interesting how many of us could identify cars from a crowd at a young age. I started pointing at and noticing the Volkswagens and Nissans of 1980s Shanghai by age 4, and it's gone down(up?)hill ever since.

When GT4 came out I rang the store I had it preordered from every day after the final delay, until it was released. The store got fed up with me calling and gave me the game a week early (the had all their copies, but couldn't sell them until the date) three of my friends moved in for a week (one worked at dominos at the time so free pizza evry night). By the time of the "official" release we were doing the enduros.

When at the supermarket, I place the 6-pack of water bottles or any other heavy volumes in the shopping car in a way that I can oversteer it in the corners.

That's not a symptom of being a car nut, that's just a symptom of driving a not very well powered, FWD car.

I used to do it too!

I've got another good one from my childhood.
When I was really young and couldn't get to sleep or was crying as a baby, my dad took me for a drive in the sweet, white 190E he had back then. He basicly drove me to sleep :)

Last edited:
when a colleague says he has bought new lamps for his beemer...it takes 30 minutes for you to realise he's talking about his projector, not his car

I used to be able to tell the displacement of a car's V8 by listening to the exhaust note. One friend didn't believe me when I said I could do that so he had me listen to his brother-in-law's Camaro. I said it had a 305. (He was shocked when he found out the car did indeed have a 305.)

On a related note, when I was younger my mom was taking the family car in for its annual inspection. I suggested that she repair the exhaust leak first. She said, "There's no exhaust leak!" Well, guess what - the car failed the inspection due to an exhaust leak. I could hear the hiss when she pulled up.

I used to be able to tell the displacement of a car's V8 by listening to the exhaust note. One friend didn't believe me when I said I could do that so he had me listen to his brother-in-law's Camaro. I said it had a 305. (He was shocked when he found out the car did indeed have a 305.)

On a related note, when I was younger my mom was taking the family car in for its annual inspection. I suggested that she repair the exhaust leak first. She said, "There's no exhaust leak!" Well, guess what - the car failed the inspection due to an exhaust leak. I could hear the hiss when she pulled up.

You win the thread :)

My friend and I do the same thing, except when we hear a car coming we'll try and guess what kind of car it is just by the sound. It's great when we are with out "non car" friends because we'll hear some V8 coming burbling up and me or him will say something along the lines of "F150" or "Dodge diesel" and then a minute later it will drive by. It's great.

That and when we are walking home a late night sometimes we'll just run down the streets making car noises pretending we are racing or drifting or something.... (This is usually at like 3am after a night of drinking. :p)

That and when we are walking home a late night sometimes we'll just run down the streets making car noises pretending we are racing or drifting or something.... (This is usually at lik
e 3am after a night of drinking. :p)

:lmao:Oh wow..

That and when we are walking home a late night sometimes we'll just run down the streets making car noises pretending we are racing or drifting or something.... (This is usually at like 3am after a night of drinking. :p)
My friend and I used to do it when coming back from lunch at work :) (I switched jobs and he stayed so we cant do that anymore)

... you own a mellow yellow Beetle cabrio.

:lmao:

When you have used various combination of things like you cars engine size, model year, plate number for computer passwords because they are the only numbers you can remember other than your birthdate.

As a kid, when I was sitting in the car with my parents I named all the cars (correctly) I saw to pass the time.

I did that too. I used to collect brochures at the auto show and then sit at home and read them all. Until I graduated from high school, I held subscriptions to 8 car magazines.

Thirded, my family and friends still go randomly "what car is that" when something passes by occasionally. 9 out of 10 times, I usually get it right. And yeah, I had a C&D subscription for ages until I graduated. :p

You've owned one car per year since being able to drive?

When people say words that also happen to be car names and you think of the latter.

My brother said he was having a "Mexican Fiesta" for his birthday and I replied "they're made in Thailand now".