Ownership Verified: You May Not Like It, But This Is What Peak Performance Looks Like - 2012 Kia Forte EX

rickhamilton620

has a fetish for terrible cars
Car(s)
2012 Kia Forte EX
Update!

As intended with this car, there’s nothing major to update. It passed this year’s PA safety and emissions inspection needing absolutely nothing.

However, I hope to be in a different car this time next year: the temps have dropped and that tap has returned and is quite noticeable at cold startups. It does go away after a while but it’s disconcerting.

I also want to possibly look into manual options - although it’s nowhere as convenient from a everyday planning perspective, it’s something I miss even though I’m shit at it.

Of course, if the Theta II recall population expands to include non GDI engines like mine, then of course I’ll take my free engine replacement and keep on trucking with it - beyond my concern about engine longevity....there’s nothing wrong with the car at all with 140k+ on the clock. I apparently rack up miles fairly quickly.

Anyway, I’ll update this thread if any major milestones happen before I get rid of it but I doubt that’ll happen, fingers crossed.

EyeMWing

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Odds sods and turbos
So yeah, I suck at driving and should probably honestly take the bus. I tried looking up defensive driving courses but the majority I’ve come across are online ones designed to get people their licenses back from the DMV quickly.
https://www.accidentavoidance.com/
BSR at Summit Point Raceway over in the West Virginia panhandle. They teach cops, feds and the military how to drive, so I'm pretty sure they can handle civilian shit just fine. From what I understand, they teach this with Crown Vics and usually throw in a skidpad session because hey, if you're going to learn how to recover from a skid, that's the same skill as holding a skid forever, right?

EyeMWing

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Odds sods and turbos
It's pretty rare to use any kind of winter tire unless you go even further north than MA. I pretty much have no choice if I want my car to move in cold weather, but anybody I know with a "normal" car doesn't bother.
My tire shop thinks I'm insane buying winter tires. Nobody here does.

This year I decided that, yeah, I am. I don't really need to go to work the 2 days a year its nasty enough that all seasons are in trouble on my (all highway) route. Rick is off in the back woods all the time, so the value proposition is probably quite different.

rickhamilton620

Car(s)
2012 Kia Forte EX
2nd Gen Xterra!
Hah we’ll see. I want a regular car and a XJ if possible.

https://www.accidentavoidance.com/
BSR at Summit Point Raceway over in the West Virginia panhandle. They teach cops, feds and the military how to drive, so I'm pretty sure they can handle civilian shit just fine. From what I understand, they teach this with Crown Vics and usually throw in a skidpad session because hey, if you're going to learn how to recover from a skid, that's the same skill as holding a skid forever, right?
Ooh. I didn’t know about this. I’ll file it under “things I should do eventually”

My tire shop thinks I'm insane buying winter tires. Nobody here does.

This year I decided that, yeah, I am. I don't really need to go to work the 2 days a year its nasty enough that all seasons are in trouble on my (all highway) route. Rick is off in the back woods all the time, so the value proposition is probably quite different.
Honestly if I take my time and won’t be afraid to use vacation days or personal days, I should be ok. We shall see.

rickhamilton620

Car(s)
2012 Kia Forte EX
Bump: with my return to be more active on the forum figure this was worth a update.

I just crossed the 150k mark and well, the thing continues to be a boringly reliable (for now) appliance with the only outright failures being the CD player not working - it just refuses to accept any CD's, and the key fob buttons failing to be responsive unless I mash them hard - i suspect the battery is leaking inside it or something is failing, but the battery itself looks fine every time I check so I'm not sure why it's wet.

I honestly can't be assed to get a replacement CD player or a replacement fob because I don't play CD's much and I've basically said I'm not putting a cent beyond maintenance into it since my accident (and subsequent broken AC), and then the engine making noises. I continue to take it exclusively to Lancaster Hyundai/Kia for oil changes and the pricing has thankfully remained reasonable.

I was initially thinking that I'd use the stimulus money combined with some savings for a newer car just to avoid any potential engine issues but now I've decided I'm going to keep the money saved in a separate account so that I can use it toward a new place to live once the economy turns and I'm able to get a new job - I'm working from home now so my car's been sitting usually 6 days a week. If I get a place in the Philly or Jersey suburbs, I could just take the train in if i get a job in the city and if I live in the city and work there I have even less reason to replace it...if not sell it outright.

rickhamilton620

Car(s)
2012 Kia Forte EX
Fall Kia update - This thing just continues to keep on keepin on. It'll need brake work soon and I'm sure the clunking from the steering or suspension will come up during the inspection this November.

I'm thinking about "next ride" though - I'm 436 dollars away from being able to just pay off the car outright and essentially start over.

The car itself is fine, but fuck if it's not deadass boring to drive haha. I want something different with a bit more verve, more driver involvement, a stick, a nicer interior, and a hatch. More speed would be nice to have but not absolutely required. Also, with the recent change to music apps on iOS (they now must respect the screen timeout even when charging making changing tracks a pain in the ass) CarPlay upgradability is a must.

A 5 speed non ST or RS Focus would check off many of those boxes while looking a bit better exterior wise than a Mazda3. The Mazda can easily get a CarPlay upgrade even in 2014. Doing the MyFord or MFT to Sync 3 conversion in the Ford is a spendy process - aftermarket head units look terrible in the last gen Focus - most dash kits are hilariously bad looking and in a lot of cases you're forced to keep the tiny MyFord radio display so you end up with a bit of a dual screen kludge affair.

It sounds fucking dumb and backwards but I'd love to get a 8th gen Civic Si sedan in Redline Orange Pearl but I know those in decent shape with non astronomical mileage at a decent price will likely be hard to find.

Still.....will probably hold out unless the car like implodes or something - I really need to get a new job and get the fuck out of where I live haha.

Tram13

Rick, I'm glad the Forte is serving you well!

I'd also agree that it's better to just drive this until it makes no financial sense to keep it. A Focus or a Civic Si would surely be nice, but if you were already planning to move out of where you currently live, it might be a better idea to save money for that purpose.

rickhamilton620

Car(s)
2012 Kia Forte EX
How about not plunging yourself into the next debt hole and actually save up some money?
To be fair I’ve been saving up money in a separate bank account specifically for this for a while. This would have no impact on my primary savings.

gaasc

Desperately looking for a title
Car(s)
3 of them
To be fair I’ve been saving up money in a separate bank account specifically for this for a while. This would have no impact on my primary savings.
ooooor, you can use some of it to fix the maladies of the forte and bump the rest into savings. Alternatively, keep saving on it for a down payment into something new, sensible, and reliable. Camry XRS for instance. Or one of the last Accords with a manual. Buying things you will get bored with long before they die is a very good way of going about things.

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & Altima
BRZ? I mean I think it's been proven they'll go and go. 🤣