Your Camera Equipment

They've apparently discontinued both the E-PL and the E-PM2, suggesting that they're about to come out with a new round of small Pens. If they end up stuffing the 5-axis IBIS into the new one, I'll feel like a fool for picking up the E-PM2 right now.

I wouldn't worry about that, they seem to be saving 5-axis stabilization for their flagship models so far

I'm going to potentially be away from a charger this weekend with lots to shoot, so I decided it was time to grab one of these Neewer/Meike battery grips for my D7000.

battery-grip-neewer-para-nikon-d7000-9827-MLM20022457383_122013-O.jpg

I paid just over ?20, and at this price it should be shit. But it ain't. Although plastic it feels extremely well made, everything works perfectly and as expected and it really makes the camera feel much nicer. I've heard about flaky controls and loose fitting but mine has neither of those problems. Surprisingly it also over-rides my setting to have AF on the AE/AF lock button when I use the release on it, a real bonus. :)

I also got a second genuine Nikon EN-EL15 to go in it. With all the talk of fake batteries I went to a proper online camera shop and paid ?59 for it, worth it to know I'm getting what I'm paying for.

Last edited:
I had a MeiKe grip on my D300, worked great but was clearly not as well-built as the Nikon - the tightening gear broke some teeth pretty early on but the rest held for the duration. Was totally worth the low entry price. The prices Nikon charges for the legit grips are daylight robbery - I got a great deal on my D800's grip but I still don't think it's realistically worth the asking price for what it is.

Bought a used nifty fifty as my first lens. Great condition, glass looks new, no scratches or anything. Happy about it.

WP_20140629_14_50_04_Pro.jpg

Also borrowed this from a friend for a few days just for fun and ordered a grip, M42 adapter and other little bits-and-bobs . . .

WP_20140629_14_50_26_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Bought a used nifty fifty as my first lens. Great condition, glass looks new, no scratches or anything. Happy about it.

WP_20140629_14_50_04_Pro.jpg

Also borrowed this from a friend for a few days just for fun and ordered a grip, M42 adapter and other little bits-and-bobs . . .

WP_20140629_14_50_26_Pro.jpg

f/1.4 isn't the nifty fifty. :p The super cheap f/1.8 on is.

It is, unless you get one about 15 years old, which should be aluminium. The reason it's called nifty is because it provides such great optical quality for such a low-low price. :p

It is, unless you get one about 15 years old, which should be aluminium. The reason it's called nifty is because it provides such great optical quality for such a low-low price. :p

Fine. I bought a used fifty then.

Hey, I'm not saying it's not an excellent lens, I wish I had a proper 50 f/1.4, mad jelly, yo. It's just not the "nifty fifty". ;)

Yeah I've always known the "nifty fifty" to be the $100 50mm 1.8

There seems to be no real consensus on the 50s nicknames. I've often heard the 50/1.8 called the "thrifty fifty" due to cheap price and "nifty fifty" applied to both the /1.8 and /1.4.

As far as lens nicknames go, the "Magic Drainpipe" (80-200/2.8) is still my favorite.

My adapter came in the mail today, M42-EOS.

WP_20140711_19_01_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20140711_19_01_43_Pro.jpg

Sooo i can put my M42 lenses on my 6D, 135mm f2.8 i 50mm f1.8

WP_20140711_15_50_21_Pro.jpg

WP_20140711_16_03_46_Pro.jpg

Adapter has a focus confirm chip and its great to use it, i dont mind manual focusing actually, its fun. Exif gives a 50mm 1.4 for all lenses. My lenses arent so great, they have fungi, but kewl to mess around with.

Some test shots

Revuenon 50mm f1.8 @1.8

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

Revuenon 135mm f2.8 @2.8

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

i use a revuenon special 135/2.8 as well via adapter :) and the tools provided (focus peaking in particular) really make manual focusing rather easy and fun. i'm constantly prowling ebay for cheap M42 glass now :D
in regards to the exif data provided through your adapter: is it maybe just the exif from the last lens used before?

i use a revuenon special 135/2.8 as well via adapter :) and the tools provided (focus peaking in particular) really make manual focusing rather easy and fun. i'm constantly prowling ebay for cheap M42 glass now :D
in regards to the exif data provided through your adapter: is it maybe just the exif from the last lens used before?

The Exif data is coded in the chip, the camera thinks it has a 50mm 1.4 lens on.

It also has EMF function, but i dont know exactly what that is, and how to use it. There are instructions on Ebay, but it works good enough for me without it :D LINK

And I think I too am gonna be on a lookout for some good cheap M42 glass :D

It also has EMF function, but i dont know exactly what that is, and how to use it. There are instructions on Ebay, but it works good enough for me without it :D LINK

ugh, what a wall of text. yeah, correct exif can't be worth going through all that :D
my adapter (i'm on an olympus e-m10) is just a piece of aluminium without any electrical contacts, so i don't get any exif data for the lens used. who cares :dunno: