Your Camera Equipment

Ordered an NEX-5 today with my local Sony Centre. VAT back offer starting next week when the camera arrives in stock and I can also claim the VAT back from the Government here so I'm saving some ?300.

sony-nex-5-camera-xl.jpg

I went for the black model with both lenses. I'm looking at mount adaptors next to see what I can pick up for not too much monies. Thinking of getting the A-mount adaptor and a Zeiss 50 1.8 for it which would be cool if not a little strange on such a small camera.

Let us know how it goes. We have a few people here with micro four-thirds cameras and it'll be interesting to see how Sony's approach to small cameras with big sensors works.

I went for the black model with both lenses. I'm looking at mount adaptors next to see what I can pick up for not too much monies. Thinking of getting the A-mount adaptor and a Zeiss 50 1.8 for it which would be cool if not a little strange on such a small camera.

Since you're an experienced dSLR owner, please let us know if the NEX series interface is convinient to use or annoying from your standpoint. I've demoed a NEX3 & 5 at my local stores and formed my own opinion about operating it. But interested to hear your perspective. I don't doubt that with the right lens, IQ will be very impressive on these cameras, esp with the full APS-C sensor.

I'm just a beginner so...

Canon EOS 450D with kit lens 18-55mm
Tokina 11-16mm

Thinking of getting the Tamron 17-50 with Vibration compensation.
Also carry around my trusty compact Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX38

I've had a brief look through this thread. There are some seriously intimidating setups out there. I've also got a major case of lens envy...

I have a rather humble Pentax K100D Super. In the kit was a Sigma 18-50 mm zoom.

I came to the dSLR fold after many years of using my father's Pentax MX film SLR. It served me well over the years. I have three lenses for it, and could use them with my new body. However, all three are manual focus only, and only one has an "A" (auto) setting for the aperture ring. The telephoto zoom I have also has a loose prism, so it's junk anyway.

I'm trying to save for some new lenses, but life with a mortgage on only one income has slowed me down. I've got to say though, I'm loving the auto aperture, and wide ISO sensitivity of the dSLR. Not to mention the instant gratification of the LCD on the back.

Gotta have a telephoto zoom for it though...

Since you're an experienced dSLR owner, please let us know if the NEX series interface is convinient to use or annoying from your standpoint. I've demoed a NEX3 & 5 at my local stores and formed my own opinion about operating it. But interested to hear your perspective. I don't doubt that with the right lens, IQ will be very impressive on these cameras, esp with the full APS-C sensor.

I will of course, I'm still waiting for it to come into stock (hopefully this week) so I'll be sure to post a review when I've had some time with it.

Buying it from the same people that would do the calibration, so it'll be done while I'm there, if needed at all. 2 out of the 3 Sigma lenses I have, both HSM, didn't need it and this one's HSM too, so chances are good AF calibration woes of sigma lenses are a thing of the past.

With the hood extension it looks ridonkulous. :eek:

Later I'll take a pic of it next to the 70-200. ;) Flash batteries are charging right now.

For the past four months I have been using something else than my E-520 and ZD 14-54/2,8-3,5. After my brother bought a Pen E-PL1 and PanaLeica 20/1,7, he hasn't bothered using his dSLR, so I have been using it in stead. The camera in question is a gripped E-30 with a ZD 12-60/2,8-4. The difference to my E-520 is huge (physically) and in therms of performance as well. Firstly, the E-30 has much better ergonomics than the rather small E-520 and E-410 I was used to, and it doesn't suffer from banding noise if you under expose slightly, and you get usable shots at ISO 1600 with ease. The fully articulated screen makes live view much more usable as well. AF-performance is the biggest step up though, and is only highlighted with the 12-60 mounted on it, focus is pretty much instant. The 12-60 in it's self is pretty sweet to use also, those extra 2 mm (FF 24mm vs 28mm) at the wide end are really noticeable. I also use the FL-50R flash in stead of my old beaten FL-36, with the main difference being much faster to recharge and more useful on longer ranges, plus it's it can be triggered wirelessly.

PB034103.jpg

Although, I'm pretty sure it would be cheaper to include 2 hoods :p

EDIT: Ok, maybe not. That extension doesn't look very hightech.

Last edited: