Your Camera Equipment

I just have a simple little Canon S5-IS on a tripod that I manage to get away with. I'll eventually get a DSLR here soon once the college thing is over with I can afford it, lol. So far though, the Canon is taking some pretty decent pics for being a point-and-shoot with an enormous lens.

Waiting for my batteries to charge before I can play with it :( Got it used from some guy in the states, he also included a third party grip (I'm pretty sure the only time I would ever use it is at air shows, so once a year!), 8 gig cf card, spare battery, and a bubble level (lol. wtf? seriously? 7d has electronic levels...). Ze viewfinder, she is so big and sexy! I also bought a "tamron"* 17-50/2.8 but it probably won't arrive until after christmas, also asked Santa Mom for a siggy ultra wide for christmas. At the moment I'm down to just my 55-250.

https://pic.armedcats.net/r/ra/ramseus/2010/12/20/7d.jpg

* rebranded as Promaster. Different zoom grip and Promaster branding, otherwise it is a Tamron 17-50. lol.

Last edited:
...I didn't even buy it from Canada. They're like Vivitar or Opteka something, they don't actually produce anything they just rebrand products and sell them for cheap. I dunno, I hadn't heard of them rebranding modern lenses before, I knew they used to do it in the film days but I guess they still do. Their smaller junk is easier to find, but their (more like Tamron's) lenses seem to be on the rarer side and if anyone even carries them it would just be small time local shops.

Picked up new lens

5289313639_398a9d54c4_z.jpg

5289915926_d4de18261e_z.jpg

Different manufacturers make different outer diameter end caps. I have 3 different sized ones. :p

Forgot to mention I now have the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8. Brilliant lens so far even though the aperture only goes as wide as f/2.8 at 18mm. It seems much wider than my old Nikon kit lens did at 18mm, not really sure why unless this lens is specifically for crop framed sensors, which I doubt.

Even if it was, it wouldn't make a difference. Furthermore, your 18-55 kit lens were designed for crop anyway. :p

Furthermore, your 18-55 kit lens were designed for crop anyway. :p

Yeah that's true, but you would still apply the 1.5x crop factor when working out the equivalent focal length though.

Yeah that's true, but you would still apply the 1.5x crop factor when working out the equivalent focal length though.
Which is why I wrote "Even if it was, it wouldn't make a difference." before the sentence you've quoted. :p

That said, you can often see differences in actual FOV with two lenses both nominally the same focal length. I've seen it with my 14-42 kit lens versus my 14-54 semi professional lens. I've also seen it with other lenses. So it's not impossible. But it won't have anything to do with whether or not the said lens is designed for DX or FX. 18mm is 18mm. The only thing that changes is your FOV, and that's guided by your sensor. And I have a hard time believing it's expanding when you put on your Sigma.

;)

Last edited:
Well it's standard industry practice nowadays to allow I think it's ?12% to the indicated focal length. Round down on wide angulars (18.8? pfah, that's 18mm not 19!), round way up on telephotos (450mm? that's the same as 500). About the only the thing PopPhoto's reviews are any good for is that they always test the true focal length and transmittance of lenses (f-stop, t-stop, herp derp what are difference? let's just call it f-stops)

The Postman payed a visit yesterday, got my Promasteramron 17-50. I could order a Tamron zoom grip and sticker for like $30, but that kind of negates my meagre savings in the first place :lol: Minty fresh, only signs of use are a blotch on the zoom grip and the obvious mount scratches from, well, having been mounted. AF switch is in a retarded place, it's almost under the popup flash, AF's a bit noisier than I expected (bzzzz) but quick. Family photo! And the 300D really isn't that much smaller than the 7D, it's just a bit further back and looks a bit smaller because of that, also grip (just put it on for the photo, I don't plan on ever using it, it was a freebie).
https://pic.armedcats.net/r/ra/ramseus/2010/12/30/1.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/r/ra/ramseus/2010/12/30/2.jpg

Still haven't really used my now IR 300D, only good it'll do in winter is astro and we haven't had a good clear night for a while now.

Last edited:
Got my 50D today :) The 28-135mm kit lens that's on the 50D in the pic below is being sold but more glass is being added to my bag soon.

First impressions: 50D is huge compared to my old 350D (XT). The control layout is pretty logical and easy to use. Grip is somewhat uncomfortable in my (small-ish) hands but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Friend convinced me to buy a Canon EOS Rebel XSi with an 18-55mm kit lens. Just got a Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 lens for it as well, and loving the pictures I get from it. Now all I need to do is work on my compositions and get a tripod.