Your Camera Equipment

Got my new ebay speedlight softbox in the mail, put it together and tested out my pocketwizard remote flash trigger

6957475801_57612533fa_z.jpg

^ @napoleondynamite - Nice setup, I'm also using the MB-D10 battery grip on mine as well. Love it, are you using the EN-EL3e battery tray or the AA battery tray? I tried using regular alkaline AA batteries and the camera couldn't recognize them, maybe they were low on charge, but once I fitted a full of a rechargable NiMH batteries I was able to get those scary fast 8 fps burst rates.

^ @napoleondynamite - Nice setup, I'm also using the MB-D10 battery grip on mine as well. Love it, are you using the EN-EL3e battery tray or the AA battery tray? I tried using regular alkaline AA batteries and the camera couldn't recognize them, maybe they were low on charge, but once I fitted a full of a rechargable NiMH batteries I was able to get those scary fast 8 fps burst rates.

I've been using an extra EL3e from the start. Having the 8fps is really handy sometimes!

Egcch... I think I'm going to have my sensor professionally cleaned from now on. The sensor swabs and E2 are great, but I get too nervous and screw it up. There's no damage (I hope :(), but it's not much cleaner than it was :|

Last edited:
I've been using an extra EL3e from the start. Having the 8fps is really handy sometimes!

Wait, but the EL3e battery tray doesn't give you the 8 fps, just double the battery life. That's the case with mine and also according to the D700 manual. I only get the 8 fps with the AA tray.

Egcch... I think I'm going to have my sensor professionally cleaned from now on. The sensor swabs and E2 are great, but I get too nervous and screw it up. There's no damage (I hope :(), but it's not much cleaner than it was :|

My last self sensor cleaning job left ugly smears and streaks on the sensor, I bit the bullet and had both my bodies cleaned professionally this time around

Last edited:
I seem to remember reports of the 80-200 AF-D being slow
AF-D is painfully slow compared to AF-S systems, not mention also very noisy. On the 300mm F2.8 the AF-S makes the AF-D feel like a manual focus lens, granted I believe the 300mm F2.8 AF-S/Vr/VR2 is the fastest focusing lens there is (well I am sure the 200mm F2 is just as fast).

AF-D is painfully slow compared to AF-S systems, not mention also very noisy.
That rather depends on the lens and strength of the motor in the body. My 50/1.8 AF-D and Tokina 11-16 really aren't bad. Longer lenses may be a different story though, and apparently, an F5 will torque a lens to next week.

Last edited:
im thinking of selling my Tamron SP AF 20-40mm f2.7-3.5
04291058_4bd8e7aa924b9.jpg

and replacing it with something preferably Canon written on it. I has issues when shooting wide open and with the focusing (which became massively better with 5d compared to 350d).
Its a bit outdated I also. And when you must go mf because of the focusing I have 1973 m42 super-takumar 28mm f3.5 that outshoots it in almost every aspect.

So it would be a mainly landscape and a general walkaround lens for me.

What are your recommendations?
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 USM L
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 USM L II
Tokina AF 16-28mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro SD FX (EOS)
are the first to come in my mind.. so pros and cons if you have one or two of these.. or three..

*edit* And its for a full frame camera (5d)

Last edited:
Wait, but the EL3e battery tray doesn't give you the 8 fps, just double the battery life. That's the case with mine and also according to the D700 manual. I only get the 8 fps with the AA tray.

Stupid me, you're right. I guess 5fps seemed like 8 to me! I wonder if there's a way to do it with the EL3e.

EDIT: There is!

Not necessarily the most elegant solution but would work in a pinch! I tried it, it works.

Last edited:
Benro travel tripod arrived, its much better than I expected and can easily support the weight of my D700 + 70-200 lens (this isn't even at full extension on the legs)

6855822746_4ae6f00199_c.jpg

and the money shot, this is fully compact

7001939221_95c1f16cb6_c.jpg

Cross post from the analog thread, picked this Olympus OM-1 up today for next to no money.

DSC_0120-1.jpg

DSC_0116-1.jpg

Haven't posted in FG for awhile now...

My latest toy for the E620. Just received this on Saturday, will be playing around with it on my trip to Germany this weekend.

6895424150_66b74ceff6_c.jpg

7041521681_a727806487_c.jpg

I have had this unusual desire to purchase a Canon 7d lately. I was extremely close to actually buying one the other day as well. It's all I've been able to think about. G.A.S. is back. Meh.

For some utterly unexplainable reason the clever 2-piece grip for my upcoming Olympus OM-D showed up today. Still, I have been told there will be at least one-and-a-half or two weeks untill the rest of the kit (body, batteries, kit lens etc.) arrives... :?

P4121185.jpg

Combined it looks like this:
P4121187.jpg

A little size comparison with a gripped E-30:
P4121191.jpg

Now this is what it's supposed to look with the camera body as well:
E-M5_OM-D_HLD-6G6P_best_b.jpg

The wait is literally killing me... :wall: Olympus, just for heavens sake ship the damn thing,
acb.jpg

Last edited:
I don't get why the grip is 2 separate components.

In case someone wants the extra gripping surface but doesn't need the extra bulk of the bottom bit. Apparently the OM-D is on the small side for people with bigger hands, so this is their attempt at rectifying that.