Your Camera Equipment

Well, live and learn...

Looking at getting a 2 suction cups and 2 clamps. I can probably return the magnets (bought them a local shop).

Is there any reason I should get the more expensive suction cups with swivel-head spigot? It hardly seems necessary.

Update: eeeh, maybe not, magnets worked great, even on a car with a CF hood and roof (had enough steel panels elsewhere)

And I :heart: the ND1000x filter for other things, too :)

I am just blown away by the low light, high ISO performance. In combination with the great IS, it produces some impressive handheld night shots. Also really helpful when shooting in dark interiors as well. These are all out of the box JPGs with standard NR applied. Dont have LR4 yet so I can't edit my RAWs.
Good to see that you're pleased with the E-M5. :) I'm also impressed by what I get out of it. Here for instance is a shot I had to apply heavy shadow lifting to, as it was shot almost right into the direction of the sun:

P5220050.jpg

E-M5 + 12-50mm.

I know this isn't a sales thread but my dad's got an EPL-1 and I'd love to try and use my 4/3 lenses on it. I need to find a 4/3 to m4/3 converter for said lenses.

Ebay and Amazon haven't been too kind, nor has Google. :S

I ordered a K-5 with the DA 18-55 WR lens. I'll only be able to play with it when I get back to Adelaide, but I'm excited!

I know this isn't a sales thread but my dad's got an EPL-1 and I'd love to try and use my 4/3 lenses on it. I need to find a 4/3 to m4/3 converter for said lenses.

Ebay and Amazon haven't been too kind, nor has Google. :S
You need one of Olympus' MMF-adaptors, either the MMF-1 or the MMF-2.

Too bad. I am to this day very tempted to buy it even if it means that I'd need a FT to mFT adaptor and the electronic viewfinder for my E-PL1, which all in all would border the 1000 Euro mark. And I still think that lens is probably worth it.

Too bad. I am to this day very tempted to buy it even if it means that I'd need a FT to mFT adaptor and the electronic viewfinder for my E-PL1, which all in all would border the 1000 Euro mark. And I still think that lens is probably worth it.

that's ok, I am using the Olympus to shoot for fun and flexibility that comes w size. If I am shooting for max optical clarity & perfection in a serious shoot, I'll use the D700 and all my full frame lenses. The Olympus is purely for nights out, and casual holiday/travel shooting. I want to maintain the size advantage as much as possible, hence I can't get into the idea of attaching a full size dSLR telephoto lens to a tiny MFT body. Kind of defeats my purpose for shooting with it.

Moar toys arrived together with my brother from the US yesterday: Canon FD 135mm f2, FDn 200mm f2,8 IF, and a Novoflex mFT to FD adapter...

P6111418.jpg

Gripped E-M5 with FD 135mm f2:
P6111679.jpg

Gripped E-M5 with FDn 200mm f2,8 IF:
P6111680.jpg

Looking forward to playing with these... :D

that's ok, I am using the Olympus to shoot for fun and flexibility that comes w size. If I am shooting for max optical clarity & perfection in a serious shoot, I'll use the D700 and all my full frame lenses. The Olympus is purely for nights out, and casual holiday/travel shooting. I want to maintain the size advantage as much as possible, hence I can't get into the idea of attaching a full size dSLR telephoto lens to a tiny MFT body. Kind of defeats my purpose for shooting with it.
I wholeheartedly agree, because that's the exact same situation I am in and, the massive costs aside, the main reason I don't have the 50mm Olympus macro. I have my 20mm pancake and am very happy with it.

I wholeheartedly agree, because that's the exact same situation I am in and, the massive costs aside, the main reason I don't have the 50mm Olympus macro. I have my 20mm pancake and am very happy with it.

Someone asked me on another forum if my Panny 20mm had issues w the OM-D because there some Internet reports of

1. banding issues on images shot w the 20mm on the OM-d

2. camera function locking up occasionally requiring a quick power off/on to knock some sense back into it

I haven't experience either of those issues

Last edited:
Last edited:
I see no banding. It might be a problem that only occurs in very specific situations though.

Update:

Yep I just read that article link too. And I've finally gone thru my backlog of OM-D shots and PP'ed many of them. Shot at an outdoor music fest in Vegas and yes, the banding problem DOES appear with certain shots from the 20mm. It appears to be under these conditions

1. high ISO
2. really dark backgrounds where the banding is obvious.
3. boosting the exposure levels (if I keep it relatively dark, its not so obvious

Examples:

ISO 4000 and pretty obvious

P6090765 by KayOne73, on Flickr

ISO 4000 but not really visible

P6080617 by KayOne73, on Flickr

ISO 3200 and not visible

P6090767 by KayOne73, on Flickr

ISO 2500 and not visible

P6090777 by KayOne73, on Flickr

I may be able to find more evidence of banding but so far the shot above is the one with clear cut banding and I had to boost and underexposed shot in post. I should do a straight conversion of the original untouched RAW to see if its there as well.