Your favourite racing-related quotes

"If you have the chance to win, you have to take it; Second is first of the Losers."- Robert Kubica

a few more here
all from murray

"Do my eyes decieve me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough?"

"He's obviously gone in for a wheel change. I say obviously because i cant see it"

"...and there's no damage to the car...except to the car itself"

"Tambay's hopes, which were nil before, are absolutely zero now"

"An achilles heel for the McLaren team this year, and it's literally the heel because its the gearbox"

"You can cut the atmosphere with a cricket stump"

"And he's done that in a whisker under 10 seconds. Call it 9.7 in round figures"

"i should imagine that the conditions the cockpit are unimaginable"

Murray: Ferrari wont be developing their car anymore this season
Brundle: How do you know that?
Murray: I was there when i said it

"That's history. i say history because it happened in the past"

"IF is a very long word in Formula 1........In fact its F1 spelt backwards"

"Look, up there!!! Thats the sky"

"This car is absolutely unique. Except for the one behind it which is the same"

"There are 7 winners of the Monaco Grand Prix today, and four of them are michael schumacher"

"A sad ending, albeit a happy one"

"Either the car is stationary or its on the move"

"There's nothing wrong with the car except that its on fire

and thats enough
funny bloke murray
...unless i'm very much mistaken

The press statement issued by the Williams team after the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix:

"Williams-Renault will find a replacement driver; Formula One won't."

Canada 1998:

"It's Pedro Diniz shedding circuit all round the track..."

"This is the first GP I've seen where even the grass thinks it's so exciting, that it wants to get onto the track and find out what's going on."

"
"We were not racing Kimi, we were basically racing Fernando" - Ron Dennis, China 2007 of course

"We thought we would give you something heavy to throw at us" - Ron Dennis presents a model Mercedes to Fernando Alonso before his 100th Grand Prix in Istanbul, 2007

When did he say these?...they sound pretty daring...

Nigel Mansell, Adelaide, 1991:

"Everything was OK, other than that it was a complete joke..."

(The most horrifically-wet GP in history... and the shortest)

Clive James, 1986 F1 Season review, about the Spanish GP:

"Senna was so moved by his victory, that he spoke."

Gerhard Berger interviewed in Monaco 1989 (he missed the race due to the accident suffered a race earlier, in Imola):

Interviewer: Now, you've been spectating today... who impressed you most of all out there?
Gerhard: Derek Warwick.
Interviewer: Why was that?
Gerhard: He's already an old man and he's still mad! (Warwick had hauled his car up to 6th in qualifying, 14 places(!!!!!!!) ahead of his teammate)

Crappy german TV-boy (guess who) "Heinz Harald, now on RTL, do you want to greet Tanja at home?" "Yes, but sorry, she's watching premiere" (premiere is paytv)

One that I remembered this morning... There was a big crash in a NASCAR race in early nineties and one of the drivers whose name I can't remember commented on the driving standards like this:

"They've obviously seen the movie"

referring to Days of Thunder which had been released just before the particular race.

1999, Hungaroring

Villeneuve's 11th retirement in the 11th race of the season. Reporter goes up to him:

"Jacques, are you disappointed?"
JV, sarcastically: "Not at all! 11 retirements in 11 races? Just what I had wished for." (walks away)

Senna shouting at Irvine after Suzuka 1993:

"You're not competent enough to remember the race."

"You're not racing! You're driving like a f***ing idiot!"

I love DC's comments... they often crack me up... Webber is sometimes funnny... Piquet is often funny...

I also like Senna's but not because they're necessarily funny = )

I remember an Australian saloon car race being aired in UK TV in the '80s, possibly bathhurst.

A big Holden had a huge off and a reporter got hold of the driver just after...

Reporter: What exactly happened there ?

Driver: Well I bloody crashed didn't I (in a great Aussie accent)

Reporter: ....!

I Lolled for ages.

Last edited:
Pre-weekend press conference, 1994 Spanish GP. "Crazy Dave" David Coulthard has just been promoted to a race seat in the Williams team after the tragic events of San Marino. Frank Williams explains he's choice...

"Well, we've obviously chosen him because he's got a quite sensational-looking girlfriend..."

(The entire press room bursts out laughing)

Pre-weekend press conference, 1994 Spanish GP. "Crazy Dave" David Coulthard has just been promoted to a race seat in the Williams team after the tragic events of San Marino. Frank Williams explains he's choice...

"Well, we've obviously chosen him because he's got a quite sensational-looking girlfriend..."

(The entire press room bursts out laughing)

Utter gold :D