Your favourite racing-related quotes

"It's lucky we don't build aeroplanes." - Mark Webber after his Brakes Failed during qualifying at the Australian GP, 2008.

Are all those Kimi quotes 100% legit?? Source perhaps? They are absolutely brilliant, I love that man (not that he would care!!)

I think that list has been originally collected by a finnish F1 forum (In a topic titled 'Kimi is not interested'). I think they are all legit, and I've seen a good part of those either from telly or read from papers myself.

From yesterday:

"That works in the video games sometimes, you just bounce off the wall and keep going. But it just didn't work."
Carl Edwards after yesterday's NASCAR 400, after this final corner move(the clip contains the last lap and a half or so, the move in question is at 30 second mark)
[YOUTUBE]N5cjlSuLH6E[/YOUTUBE]

Austria 1998 (can't remember all the exact lines), Brundle(in the 'box) and Da Cock(in the pitlane) talking about Irvine slowing down and preparing to let Schooey through:

Martin: "A spongy brake pedal is always a good excuse..."

(A few minutes later)

James: "Guys, you're going to love this. I've just spoken to one of Irvine's mechanics and asked him what's the problem that Eddie has. And guess what he said...

THE BRAKES!"

No idea what kind of crystal ball Martin had in the commentary box that day, but it was definitely a jolly expensive one.

James Hunt, 1989 Brazilian GP, last lap, commenting about the battle for 2nd place:

"Tremendous race that we've had... and what this race, above all, has said, it's <<good bye turbos, and jolly good riddance>>."

Imola 1990:

Murray: "Berger's still got a small problem: he still doesn't completely fit, still isn't entirely comfortable in the McLaren cockpit;[...] he's been driving now for 48 laps under collosal pressure..."

James: "I should, uh, Murray, if I may, define what you just said a little bit, because when you said <<not entirely 100% comfortable in the car>>, what Murray ACTUALLY means is that the guy is in screaming agony."

Canada 1990.

Stefano Modena has just been lapped by Nelson Piquet at the hairpin, and the image cuts to his onboard camera.

Murray: "And you look straight down the exhaust pipes and see that firey red flame of Piquet's Ford V8 engine's spent gases..."

(one minute later)

James (unable to restrain from laughing) : "Sorry Murray, I'm sure that the red flame was the rear light!" (laughs)

(and, indeed, it was the rear safety light on the B190 Benetton...)

Imola 1985, a press conference some time after the race:

Murray: "Now you must have known you'd taken the lead because you saw all the Ferrari fans round the course going absolutely mad. But when did you know you had a fuel problem?"

Stefan Johansson (with his permanent smile): "About half a lap later!"

And after Adelaide 1986:

Murray: "Forecast for next year?"

Keke Rosberg: "Hopefully sunny!" :lol:

Last edited:
"The leader is on his victorious way..."

Say that a few more times, Murray, and the leader will inevitably have a problem and drop out of the race.

Imola 1986 FIA season review: "Rosberg was driving like a man who had never heard of fuel restrictions"
a few minutes later: "Rosberg lost second place and everyother place when he was finally reminded of the fuel restrictions by his wheels seizing to turn, the needle reading zero and the hollow noise from the petrol tank failing to convay this message"

Interviewer to Kimi Raikkonen: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Kimi: "It protects my head."

:lmao:

I posted that one already. :p Im pretty sure the same interviewer asked this:

Do you have any special rituals when the helmet is concerned like many have?

Kimi- I wipe it so that I can see better.

:lmao:

Ron Dennis, press conference after Suzuka 1989 and the appeals:

"What was originally Stewards' Decision no.17 had become Stewards' Decision no. 16, with a very badly executed change of the 7 to a 6."