Your favourite racing-related quotes

?I remember jumping into a Tyrrell having just crashed one badly in Monte Carlo. Jumped in the car and Ken Tyrrell said, ?You?ve got eight minutes left to qualify ? you need to get on with it?. I said, ?No problem. Which circuit am I at???

A +rep to whoever guesses who said this.

Martin Brundle?

yay, I remember that quote because it was mentioned in an issue of Tog Gear magazine.

....."- If you no longer go for a gap that exists...you're no longer a racing driver!".... - Ayrton Senna.

2001 Malaysian GP. Ron Dennis is asked, pre-race, about the weather forecast. A fine example of Ronspeak ensues.

"There's a possibility of some sprinkling, but, I think, very unlikely any sort of thunderstorms or any... The circumstances at the moment aren't conducive for thunderstorms, so hopefully a fully dry race."

And he was proved wrong 10 minutes later by a gigantic downpour.

First round of the 1995 BTCC, at Donington. Derek Warwick crashes after a poor race...

Murray: "And he's lost it! Into the gravel trap, into the tire wall... He's broken our camera lens! That'll be six grand, please, Derek..."

:lol:

2001 Malaysian GP. Ron Dennis is asked, pre-race, about the weather forecast. A fine example of Ronspeak ensues.

"There's a possibility of some sprinkling, but, I think, very unlikely any sort of thunderstorms or any... The circumstances at the moment aren't conducive for thunderstorms, so hopefully a fully dry race."

And he was proved wrong 10 minutes later by a gigantic downpour.

I guess he never claimed he was an expert weatherman...:p

BTCC 1992, Silverstone finale, John Cleland's reaction about Steve Soper after being taken off...

"I just have to say... The man chopped me a couple of times, and then runs into me and takes me straight in the barrier! I mean, what are we doing here? Is this stock car racing or is this motorsport? He might get away with that in Germany where he might be Mr. Superstar, but... this is clear! The man's an animal!"

P.S. Try reading this in your mind with the deepest possible Scottish accent.

Last edited:
Le Mans 1990. 1991 BTCC champion Will Hoy was supposed to drive in a Porsche run by Joest Racing, but due to circumstances, he was replaced by Bob Wollek and spent part of the race commentating for Radio Le Mans.

Before the first pitstops, an unrelated Porsche loses a wheel as it comes into the pitlane. Hoy makes an observation in a totally deadpan voice...

"Looks like the wheel did the quicker lap!"