Your favourite sounding car?

Any AMG
V8 Vantage
M3 Straight 6

As an australian, i would also have to put the new VE HSV 6.0L V8 Holdens have an awesome sound from factory for a car in that price range, as non-super cars go i think this would have to be up their

While im not doubting the VE V8's, i reckon the XR8 and FPV Falcons sound better

The Carrera GT is my favourite sounding car of all time. Though the F430 comes in at a close second.

A 1971 Plymouth GTX with a 426 HEMI.

http://img475.imageshack.**/img475/2527/71gtx1mg2.jpg

Its so many...

Porsche Carrera GT
Ferrari F430
Mercedes McLaren SLR
Lambo LP640
Koeningsegg CCX
Zonda F
Audi RS4/R8
Aston AMV8
Prodrive P2
Lamborghini Gallardo
Jaguar XK8/XKR

CGT is #1, but cant decide on the rest..

I drove a Ferrari F430 last year. It is permanently etched in my head. The sound it makes -- the fast high revving, and my oh my the bark it gives you on a downshift. Mmmmmmmmm.... Were we talking about something?

Chevelle/El Camino's with 454s
1969 Camaro SS
Posche turbo Flat 6's

Odd I know but... Ford F350 Superduties with the Big Diesel engines.

solid-lifter big block chevy v8
Anything Aston Martin, v12 or v8
Supercharged AMG v8s
ford 427 S/C through side pipes (think cobra :) )

well were on the subject, does anybody else agree that although the F430 is a excelletn sounding car, the 360 is better?

well were on the subject, does anybody else agree that although the F430 is a excelletn sounding car, the 360 is better?

I've come to the realization that one should not listen to Ferrari v8's for to long. They really don't sound that good. When they a free revved, or hitting their limiters they sound pretty good, but other wise they drown like a B18 with a 5 inch exhaust tip.

Their v12's on the other hand... :drool:

I've come to the realization that one should not listen to Ferrari v8's for to long. They really don't sound that good. When they a free revved, or hitting their limiters they sound pretty good, but other wise they drown like a B18 with a 5 inch exhaust tip.

what made you come to that "realization"?!?

at the track they sound fantastic, even after hours of running, in my experience anyway

An ideling F430 and 599GTB both sound amazing....... it isn't as loud and drematic as high revs but it is still an awesome sound

as a follow up, i really don't think this sounds at all like a riced up B18 http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...236&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=5

(engine sounds at about 1:50)

plenty of cruising speeds in that^^, sure its not deep like a american V8, but im bored with all these cars trying to sound deep as hell when they don't need to be, especially as many of them sound muddy as hell

nore can i see this sounding like any Honda http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...011&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

i can understand disliking it if your really stuck on super deep sounding engines, but thats way more romantic then any honda i've heard

Not saying Ferrari V8s can't sound bad, the one CS driving by in Topgear during the car awards of the year wasn't the best sound, and ive headr certain aftermarket exhausts that don't sound great either, but for teh most part the sonud is much more dynamic then any mass production 4 cylinder that comes to mind

as i mentioned before, ive had a similar run in with the V8 Vantage noise, one minute i loved it, the next i thought it sounded like farts, now i don't even know what i think about that car

Last edited:
The 288 GTO is a massive exception, along with the F40. I was mostly referencing the 360 and 430, the older ones have a different sound to 'em.

That 355 video only proved my point that they sound great when free revved.

It's hard to explain how I came to that conclusion other than to describe the situation. I was following a 360 down an on-ramp to the 55 in Newport, and it sounded awesome getting on the freeway and under a couple of bridges, but when he settled down and started cruising, or only gave short jolts here and there, it sounded like complete shit IMO.

At the same time I do have the same issue with Ferrari V8's as you with Aston's new Vantage, sometimes I'll think they do sound great, and at others, complete crap. The Fifth Gear review of the F430 didn't do much for me, except when he tested the Launch Control.