Your favourite sounding car?

i know what you mean, i completely agree that the F430 sounds like crap, if you listen to any clip on youtube they all sound way too farty, if you look at the headers you'll notice its almost as though ferrari didn't really try at all, it may preform well, but knowing what i know about sound dynamics and header construction i would happily say its the worst effort i've ever seen out of ferrari

F430_press-engine-angled.jpg

note how short the primaries are, but more importantly how huge the collector/average exhaust size is compared to the primaries. Such a huge devation from primary size to overall exhaust size will on any vehicle give a blurred yet whiny sound, usually the only reason to do this is because the car needs shorter overall exhaust pipes (usually done to keep weight down), or as a design error

look up any good sounding Japanese car (like a WRX) with large exhaust (or excessively small primaries, like such found on OBX headers) and it will ALWAYS sound like crap

Last edited:
I seriously don't think that YOUTUBE is a source that you want to talk about, every car sound that i have heard on YOUTUBE is so crap compared to when you hear it in real. i have had a fair amount of experience with F430's and i can tell you that yes on YOUTUBE they do sound "farty" but they sound so so much different in real life.

About the design of headers on the Ferrari I am no expert but I am sure that Ferrari know what they are doing and might put some amount of effort into there engines??? I am not sure how much you can get from looking at a pic of the engine headers but I think you would be better off trying to get a look at the internals before you start bashing the car?.

My $0.02

I seriously don't think that YOUTUBE is a source that you want to talk about, every car sound that i have heard on YOUTUBE is so crap compared to when you hear it in real. i have had a fair amount of experience with F430's and i can tell you that yes on YOUTUBE they do sound "farty" but they sound so so much different in real life.
Agreed, I live in a place where theres lots of farty Hondas, the 430's sound is so rich in tone.

About the design of headers on the Ferrari I am no expert but I am sure that Ferrari know what they are doing and might put some amount of effort into there engines??? I am not sure how much you can get from looking at a pic of the engine headers but I think you would be better off trying to get a look at the internals before you start bashing the car?.

My $0.02

Sound and performance dont go hand in hand, Im not saying its a bad design, but most of teh time the headers are a piece of art through and through with Ferraris. In all honesty, Yes, looking at a header can be enough indication of what to expect out of the cars sound, as long as you know what to look for

it is worth noting that A. i love the F430, so im not trying to down the car, but if i was rich enough to own one you can bet your ass the stock header would be ripped off and id spend many days at the dyno working on a better sounding, better working header (although i think as far as performance the stock header is fine) and B. Isn't the F430 the first Ferrari to feature constantly variable valve timing? this would probably change the needs of the headers, or atleast cause enough of a engineering upset that i wouldn't be suprised if what we see in the F430 is inferior in sound compared to their next flat-crank V8, once Ferrari get the hang of it