Your ideal episode...

Ayman

"Ambitious, but rubbish" ... Well they've certainly turned that from a humorous moto into a kingpin guideline on the India Special. They've certainly succeeded.
Reading through post-show comments shows a certain nostalgy concerning what TG used to be. That gave me an idea on how to turn the page on this mishap.

Why don't we each assemble different segments that we loved the most throughout the 17 series into what, to us, would be the ideal episode.
(Supercar/affordable car track/road test) + News + (A challenge/race of some sort) + best SIARPC Or something akin to that.

Here's my take on it :

1 - CLK Black across Wales / Ascari A10 / Bentley Brooklands .
Here's the Merc for instance :

2 - The list is far too long for the news, but what I expect is that there's enough car news (4/5 cars brought up) and the comedy
shouldn't exclusively be the result of willy talk and growler giggles, but mostly be due to anecdotes, funny automotive pictures etc...

3 - James Blunt / Michael Gambon interview(s) : Blunt was an utter surprise, down-to-earth, hilarious chap and quite memorable. Gambon is a no-brainer.
Here's Blunt :

4 - + The London->Oslo race was extremely good;
+ For an ordinary segment however mostly an item with Jezza'r'n'Slow in it, Grosser/Corniche - Eco cars - First car with modern
layout [Such chemistry between the two, no need for a script]

Don't have much time so you'll excuse the haste.

This would be a great opportunity to gloss over all of our favorites and watch each other's gems again.

Open with James' review of the RR Phantom Drophead....

News - the one with the Porsche Pipes.....

Hammond in the Morgan on a wet track "I'm Mr Toad, with an AK-47......

SIARPC - Jay Kay probably, although saying that though I loathe his music James Blunt was a surprise.

Clarkson - Audi RS4 vs Climbers.

Nobody falls over, nothing at which to cringe, just good, solid, old-fashioned, car-based entertainment.

The 'Nam special. Yea it's not an ordinary episode but I think that it summed up my love for Top Gear.

Otherwise:
The review of the Jensen Interceptor with the short film/ad/commerical/opening sequence.
News: I'm not sure, them making fun of something remotely relevant.
The build your own motor home challenge.
Richard reviewing some Australian HSVs (with an appropriate amount of drifting).
James doing a sensible review of a supercar.
Guest: That hot lesbian girl who liked guns and muscle cars.

Last edited:
Motor homes? Are you frakking kidding me? The worst, most predictable cheap car challenge ever filmed?

get-off-my-lawn.jpg

EDIT at Ayman's insistence.

Last edited:
Motor homes? Are you frakking kidding me? The worst, most predictable cheap car challenge ever filmed?

Get off my lawn! :wheelchair:

Using Clint Eastwood against him would've been ironic ^^ ... I hope you've seen the movie "Gran Torino".

1. Motorhome racing, that or people carrier/bus/airport vehicle racing.
2. News, I don't care. Nothing of interest ever really happens in it, apart from when they're reviewing Christmas presents.
3. One of the F1 driver interviews, preferably Sebastian Vettel.
4. The Senna film. That was brilliantly done, even though I'm not a fan of Hamilton and hate the constant Senna/Hamilton bullsh*t comparisons.

I was just thinking about the Oslo race yesterday. There are so many good moments in the past to pick from. This Christmas "special" left me and the household pretty let down. Slightly depressed, actually. We put on Vietnam right after to perk up. I think the energy and idea pool is now drained, it seems like the guys have nothing left to say to each other, hence the set-ups and lame gags. Ugh.
It's so bad. (sorry if off-thread topic)

Epic Race Part 1 - The Verbier race, probably the only legitimate close race they've ever had.

News - 12x06, the best news segment ever (especially the uncut version that's floating around).

Review - Pacific Rim cars from 05x09, or the Peel P50 from 10x03.

SIARPC - Boris Johnson (the 12x06 one). Both Boris interviews are among the top ten TG's ever done. In fact, you can fill in the rest of the episode with the remainder of 12x06 (commie cars, Fiesta "sensible review"), and it'd be acceptable.

(Could 12x06 be the best episode they've ever done? Even Hammond's review (Caterham R500/Veritas) was very good. It's definitely one of the few episodes where there aren't any weak spots.)

Feature - Caterham kit-car race from 08x07, or Sabine and Hammond in the van at the Ring from 06x07 (in order to balance out the review that Hammond's not in and thereby pacify the Hammond Heaveners).

Epic Race Part 2 - Remainder of Verbier.

Essentially, you have to choose between an Epic Race and a Cheap Car Challenge. If I went the other way around, it would be Cheap Car Challenge - British roadsters from 15x06, and I'd try to slot in the London race from 10x05. It's really tough to leave stuff out.

Last edited:
- Bentley Brooklands
- 1500 pound Porsche challenge
- Joanna Lumley
- Reliant Shuttle
- May maxing the Veyron in Germany

Bentley Brooklands review
cheap coupe that isn't a porsche challenge
Jeremy's and James' Maserati videos.
That new comedy guy from season 14 or something, Jeremy was talking about how he has groupies and turns around and goes "Hi girls!".
Mclaren MP4-12C review

Just show the Supercars in France episode (7x03). Or, yeah, all of 12x06 (including the news bits they cut out). Job done.

Don't care. I enjoyed it and that's what counts. Remembering it's MY ideal episode. However thinking over it again I might replace it to the original amphibious cars or the race across London.

Last edited:
Any race involving the touring car drivers.

Toybota and the Nissanch
Focus ST
News where the Xmas Presents are shown, two years ago, maybe three. ...
Joannah Lumley (but then I am in lust with her even at her mature age)
Convertible People carrier
BMW 3 x 325s
\
That would do me.

Presenters' moms review MPV's / The maddest car in the world (from Switzerland)
24h endurance race with diesel 3er/ Cheap Porsche challenge / 3 supercars in France
News+ How many motorbikes can be jumped by a bus?/ Nun in a monster-truck
Vettel SIARPC
GT4 vs. real life Laguna Seca/ Soviet cars / Veyron vs. Eurofighter

Couldn't think of one definite selection, picked many segments to choose from.

Last edited:
My perfect show would be something like:

Clarkson - M5 test
Ferrari vs Plane to Verbier
Clarkson in Jaguar Diesel at Nurburgring
The Christmas News where James pulled out his pork sword
No SIARPC

Ferrari vs Plane to Verbier

Hold it, you and I agreed on something? The Maya were right; 2012 is the end of the world.

Thinking again, I'd quite like to see them show the Britcar race they did. That was fantastic, really shows the true emotions of racing perfectly.

To be honest, I'd like them to do a race like that for the next special - maybe the 24 hours of Nurburgring? Then have that as a special episode instead of the crap like they filmed in India. Dunno, just thinking aloud here.