Your life's highlights / low points / interesting tidbits

Car(s)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STI (USDM)
I thought it would be interesting to see a list of one-line highlights / low points and interesting tidbits of your life so far.

For me:

• My grandfather was a member of the resistance in WWII, who planned / lead a raid on a jail in Arnhem.
  • My father had a punch-tape computer in the house in the 1970's.
  • The first video game I played was Pong on a home made console that my dad built.
  • When I did a class presentation in the early 1980's about my Apple II, it was a disaster since nobody (including the teacher) could understand what I was talking about.
  • My dad was once laughed at when he, sometime in the late 1970's, suggested that everyone would have a computer in their house in 20 years.
  • I have had 7 Concussions, including short term amnesia twice, and I got knocked out by a bull once.
  • I saw Prost and Senna race at Spa, and saw their cars from only inches away in the pits after the race.
  • I took an introduction day to racing at Zandvoort, where I got to drive a formula car and got a ride along in a two seater prototype.
  • In high school, I once held the school record on the 400m dash.
  • I went to a college in the USA to play (American) football, but I never did because of a back injury.
  • I spent some time in a mental institute for depression.
  • I moved from the Netherlands to the USA in 1996.
  • Best thing I ever purchased: My Subaru STI. Second best: My house.

Last edited:
I am just wondering how in the world did you end up in Decorah?? I know the area from spending time in PDC, not somewhere you would find a modern immigrant.

I am just wondering how in the world did you end up in Decorah?? I know the area from spending time in PDC, not somewhere you would find a modern immigrant.
I used to play American football in the Netherlands and Germany and the head coach was an Army guy stationed in Germany.
He was originally from Hawkeye, Iowa, and he asked me if I wanted to play ball in a US college, since he thought I had some talent.
So I went to college here, and liked it.
After going back to Holland for two years, I applied for a visa and moved here.
I suppose the other part of it was that I was just sick and tired of living at my parent's house, and I was desperate to get out of there.
Although I suppose moving 4000 miles away is a bit of overkill

Last edited:

It's not too big a stretch. The Netherlands is a flat country; Iowa is (mostly) flat country. ;) And it's the greenest place in the world in the summertime. Beautiful there.

Far out ESPNSTI somehow I completely missed the word "Subaru" in that last line. Twice. Once it's there though you seem to have had some pretty cool experiences. Since no one else is giving theirs I will give my contribution :) (Warning: Heavily sports biased)

• High: Taking third place for the second year running at states for 1500m and 200m hurdles
  • Low: Was coming second until the last 50m and getting out-kicked
  • High: Taking around 80 medals for various athletics competitions over the years
  • High: Qualifying for school states for 400m hurdles and 2000m steeplechase
  • High: Didn't feel like Maccas. Had my first kebab instead
  • Low: First (and only) breakup
  • High: All the great times I get to have with my mates
  • High: Being voted player of the year by my teammates last football season
  • Interesting: Have driven a rally setup WRX on a short course for one of the best times on the course
  • Interesting (for tourists, anyway): Grew up in Byron Bay; hippy, surf and sun central for Australia (Bondi has nothing :p)
  • Interesting: I have had one concussion. During a futsal match I had a shot at goal. Ball bounced off the post and into my head, knocking me out. Ball bounced from my head into the goal, scoring the winning goal for the match. It was an hour before anyone told me I scored from it and two years before I was told it bounced off the post (I always thought it hit another player in front of me and straight up into my head)

I know I'm not as exciting as ESPNSTI but his list looks so lonely. Unfortunately I think that pretty much covers the really big and important parts of my life.

Last edited:
During a futsal match I had a shot at goal. Ball bounced off the post and into my head, knocking me out. Ball bounced from my head into the goal, scoring the winning goal for the match.
I know I shouldn't, but: :blink::lol:

What the hell, here are my high and low points so far:
  • Low: Being homeless on the streets of San Francisco for 3 months
  • High: Getting a job that pays me enough that I'm able to live in a decent apartment and drive a decent car (And having it for almost 10 years now)
  • Low: Losing my high school sweetheart to my best friend and my dog dying within a week while I was on leave. I also reported back to my squadron only to find out I was going to be detached to the USS Saipan for 6 months in the North Atlantic and Mediterranean
  • High: Visiting London and happening to see the Queen, the Queen Mother, Prince Charles and Prince Andrew leaving Buckingham Palace
  • Low: Getting mugged by 3 guys trying to take my watch and my wallet. They didn't succeed, but I succeeded in having 5 stitches in my forehead and a bite wound on my left forearm
  • High: Helping Robin Williams do his Christmas shopping on Christmas Eve, 1998
  • Low: Losing my uncle early last year
  • High: After 43 years, finally finding my birth mother and getting in touch with her and my half sisters and brothers (I was adopted from birth)

A lot of crushing lows there, but I think the highs more than balance them out. And that's the point, isn't it?