Your list of old, EX cars

While technically correct, the best kind of correct, everyone else is losing their current cars too.

Scroll back up to double check...

I didn't :razz:

Updated, May 2021:

I'm game, but first some info about me: In contrast to most people on a car forum I made my driving licence very late when I was already 29 years old. Up to then I had no interest in cars up (and for some time onwards too as you will see by my choice of cars), was a money investing tightarse, a racing bicycle freak, and anyway I live in public transport paradise Switzerland. For a long time I didn't saw the need to enter the world of personal motoring, never even had a motorbike. - Until I was in need to get a driving licence to have more mobility for business/job reasons.

A year later in 2003 finally I bought my first car: 1994 Opel Corsa Sport, 1.4L, 82hp - Aka: "Blackegg"
Ah, the new joy of personal mobility: Went on my first drive after the purchase on a friday evening and said: "I will be underway for about half an hour or so." - I ended up doing a two day pan-european roadtrip instead. - Owning a car is awesome. Who knew?!

1_Opel_Corsa_schwarz__3_.JPG
2005-02-07_004.JPG
1_Opel_Corsa_schwarz__1_.JPG

Pro: It was black metallic and "SPORT" was written on the doors. Enough said.
Contra: I kept the black egg way too long and was constantly pouring money into it to keep it roadworthy beyond it's expiration date. - So here I learned the rule of bangernomics: "Buy a car, drive it until it dies or the MOT runs out, then throw it away and buy something else".
How it ended: MOT failure after 5 years of ownership. Sold for scrap value.

Second car, purchased in 2008: 1994 Ford Fiesta, 1.4L, 75hp - Aka: "Tincan"
Unplanned last-minute I-just-need-a-car purchase. Soon after I bought it someone stole both front blinker covers. I didn't care at all and never replaced them. - Also you can see on the second pic one day I had to rescue the little Fiesta out of a winter storm snow drift. :lol:

2_Ford_Fiesta__1_.JPG
2_Ford_Fiesta__2_.JPG
2_Ford_Fiesta__3_.JPG

Pro: Somewhat lovable basic bucket with extremly cheap maintenance.
Contra: Mispurchase in terms of engine power.
How it ended: Since my daily commute now included Autobahn time my patience with the lack of power grew thin very quickly. - Sold after 1 year, still in good condition.

Third car, purchased in 2009: 1994 Opel Corsa 1.6L, 106hp - Aka: "Rocket"

3_Opel_Corsa_rot__1_.JPG
3_Opel_Corsa_rot__2_.JPG
3_Opel_Corsa_rot__3_.JPG

Pro: A power-to-weight ratio of over 100hp/ton. How awesome was that!
Contra: Opel Corsa.
How it ended: Sold after 2 years because of MOT failure.

Forth car, purchased in 2011: 1993 Honda Concerto 1.6L, 122hp - Aka: "Glasshouse"
When I took possession of it it had anti-aircraft-cannon encasements around the exhausts and an equally stupid rear spoiler (see first pic). Got rid of that crap a few days later (see second pic). Much better.

4_Honda_Concerto__2_.JPG
4_Honda_Concerto__3_.JPG
4_Honda_Concerto__1_.JPG

Pro: Somewhat cool in it's own ways. Also very roomy and airy with so much glass around.
Contra: Technic from the 1980's in a car built in the 1990's, driven in the 2010's = Hapless 4-speed automatic. - Also one day I had to replace the cool thin double barrel exhaust with a standard single can because the former had rusted trough.
How it ended: As usual by now, after 2 years. Had a hilarious engine failure on the Autobahn, a piston tried to escape through the bonnet and almost made it: Takatakataka!-Clonk!-Bang! Sold for scrap value.

Fifth car, purchased in 2013: 2002 Renault Laguna 3.0L, V6, 207hp - Aka: "Frenchy"

5_Renault_Laguna__1_.JPG
5_Renault_Laguna__2_.JPG
5_Renault_Laguna__3_.JPG

Pro: Soft and comfy and had some power. Somewhat nice growly V6 soundtrack too.
Contra: Plastic phantastic interior and a very french and slow automatic gearbox.
How it ended: Slow but steady decline in overall health from the get go. Drove it for the last 6 months with a glowing CE light and an unwell clutch. Sold for scrap value after 2 years, still in somewhat drivable condition, one day before the MOT expired.

Sixth car, purchased in 2015: 2003 Audi A6 4.2L, V8, 300hp - Aka: "V8"

6_Audi_A6__1_.JPG
6_Audi_A6__2_.JPG
6_Audi_A6__3_.JPG

Pro: Effortless AWD power and extremely comfy. V8 soundtrack was a daily joy. My first really good car.
Contra: Transmission/gearbox timebomb. Not a wagon.
How it ended: Very unusual in relation to my car history I traded it in still in good shape only after 1 year, and still with 12 months of MOT left. = I broke my own rules, but in a good way.

Seventh car, purchased in 2016: 2000 Audi S6, 4.2L, V8, 340hp - Aka: "Barkwagon"

S6__1_.JPG
S6__2_.JPG
S6__3_.JPG

Pro: Even more effortless AWD power. Spacy wagon. Hilariously loud Sportec exhaust system was the highlight of the car, absolute fun even on the daily commute.
Contra: Much more hunkered down and harder as the wafty A6. Drank petrol like I had shares in an oil company. Key scratch on the hood, and some rust on the rear flap, which I later replaced with a clean piece.
How it ended: After 4 very reliable years the car suddenly reached that peak age when after you just repaired something two days later some other part would fail and get you stranded and so on... - Which is fatal for a daily driver. - Sold still in driveable condition.

Eighth car, purchased in 2021: 2007 Audi S6, 5.2L, V10, 435hp - Aka: "Howlwagon"

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Pro: Relentless AWD power. Spacy wagon. Glorious V10 race car scream when you pushed the pedal to the metal, and equally glorious low frequency growl at lift off again. Later on I even installed a Milltek exhaust system and that resulted in even more pure V10 soundtrack bliss.
Contra: 2-ton tank. Consumed liquid dinosaurs like there was no tomorrow. Very loud cold start process for about half a minute then it settled itself, great for attention at the pumps or shops, not so great at 6 AM on a sunday.
How it ended: Got edged into undriven neglect for 2 months after I bought the Twizy. - Sold after 2 years in very good condition to a happy buyer, a friend of a neighbour.

Update!

Ninth "car", purchased in 2023: 2023 Renault Twizy 80, 20hp, 57nm, aka "Le Twizzel"

Initially only bought as a second fiddle vehicle next to the howlwagon, just for the daily work commute, but then it turned out to be such a delight (and addiction) to drive that it took over the role of main car from day one, without anything else needed (= goodbye V10 Audi).

20230512-161904.jpg
2023-09-16-Sa-40.jpg
2023-07-23-So-5.jpg

Pro: Best car ever (don't laugh, I really mean that!) - Gets unlimited positive attention, everybody smiles, kids point, and adults start amusing conversations the moment you stop. - The scissor doors are utterly cool. - Can be charged and parked almost everywhere. - Extremely cheap to run. - Does 85km/h, and while doing so it sounds like you're sitting on a spooling-up jet engine. - Has energy recuperation. - Can seat a second person or a whole weeks shopping load. - Corners like a go-cart on rails. - Because the Twizy is cute and tiny people give me space and leniency.
Contra: Not airtight regardless of the aftermarket side windows (not seen in the pics above), and no heating. - Max range is just 80km per charge. - Your speed gets underestimated by others (you look tiny and far away) so some cars will drive right infront of you into roundabouts and priority streets. - No ABS and no braking- or steering assistance whatsoever.
How it will end: Dunno, but I'm in love with it and want to keep it for as long as it lives. - As soon as the new-car warranty runs out I give it a battery update, up to 20kw (from the original 6kw) is possible, without any weight change!

Last edited: