Your list of old, EX cars

My list of ex-cars is rather short as well, as I still have majority of cars I've bought.. :D

1999-2000 - BMW 318i (E21) -81
Declined the offer to have a 1.1 Fiesta of same vintage for free. Instead got this rust bucket from halfway around the country, with around 322k km on the clock when I got it. It got the typical treatment of a clueless 18 year old; Ran it almost without oil for a good while, since I'd only had two strokes up to that point and didn't know you should check oil levels every now and then. Differential didn't give in, but I wore it down considerably with one wheel burnouts, skidding on patchy ice etc. Gearbox as well as distributor did give in though, so it introduced me to working on cars from the go. Fortunately for my sanity it ended it's working life the Finnish way, with a moose collision. The whole thing was rusted to the core, but was still strong enough to leave me and my passenger unscathed. So the remains got scrapped and I found a 323i I still have about a month later.
318i_Kolari.jpg

2003-2005 - 2x Talbot Horizon, -84 & -85
The 323i had some GDPO contraptions, so it never really worked that well in the winter. My father got this packet deal from his friend, two Horizons in great condition for 300eur or so. Didn't care much about these, so I used the first one up during the first winter and as soon as it developed some small niggle (probably a worn bushing or something similar) it got either scrapped or given away, can't remember. The second one got used as a painting practice car, as well as a winter car, until I could get a rwd car (E21 of course) for winter use as well. Despite the very.. personal color selection this got sold to a Peugeot/Talbot hobbyist, to continue its journey as a winter beater (with rattle can matte black, instead of the color I chose for it). :D
talbot.JPG

2005-2008 - BMW 315 (E21) -81
Once again, picked it up from the other side of the country, had a lovely long drive back with it's close ratio diff and 4 speed gearbox and loved it ever since. Even if it was once again a complete rustbucket. But the color was so lovely I had to have it. :p Introduced me to rust repairs, big time, before I deemed it too dangerous to repair and it got scrapped in 2008. And despite all that, I still think this is the best (or most fun at least) car I've ever driven. Completely stock, the base spec 75hp engine, 4 speed and heater being the only "feature" on the car... So what I want clearly isn't anything measurable, but this is still the yardstick that everything I drive gets compared to.
IMG_1081.JPG

2007-2010 BMW 523i touring (E39) -97
My first stab at a "modern" car, as well as importing from Germany. Bought in the fall of 2007, fairly well equipped and served well as a daily driver. Used it as a camper at the alps and did few laps at the N?rburgring in 2008. Finally, after yet another track day it burned itself through one of its exhaust valves. After the engine was fixed it got "sold" to my brother, where it still serves as a family hauler.
IMGP2765.JPG

2009-2010 BMW 318i (E30) -87
Back to basics. Modern cars were too good and comfortable for me, so I find them too boring. This was a 450eur beater I bought with the idea of trying on a e30. I wanted an ix, but this was a cheaper option to test if I want to actually live with a e30. Had a modest 380k km on the clock, needed some welding and new front fenders and the heater valve cracked during the winter. So with all this it was the perfect car for a trip to Germany with our BMW club. :D Had alternator issues the whole way, as we couldn't find a single place that would've sold regulators for the most common alternator in Europe..:blink: Got a used one from a club friend and made it home, did some roadtrips, track days etc with no issues. Then, later in the summer I drove it to my first Ringmeet. And of course, after arriving to Germany withing 20km of the harbor the regulator gave up again. And while I had spares this time the starter jammed and burned itself at N?rburg area. :p Sourced a replacement via Finalgear and headed to the alps again after Ringmeet. It had Eibach springs when I got it and I upgraded it with 325i ARBs. Didn't get to test the upgrade at the 'ring, but it was much sharper and more tail happy like that, so something I'd recommend for an upgrade. Probably the most fun track car I've had, even if I have and have had more capable cars. After I got my ix I sold the 318i to a local teenager who just got his licence.
IMGP7185.JPG

I'm at 7 cars and one bike at the moment, but these were the only ex-cars so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: lip
You've actually had a Talbot Horizon? hehehe, i've seen one once in my life, as it got crushed by a monstertruck, i still got the badge from it in a drawer somewhere.

also, e21 can be real fun cars, friend of mine had one with a e30 m20b25 engine and gearbox, we had a fair bit of fun with that, teasing cars that normally would be much faster than a e21. :p

I still see their American twin on a semi regular basis.

Starting with the '90 Sunny (Sentra) Coup? with 90 roaring horsepower, 1.6 12V engine with "economical" 3 speed automatic gearbox:
QvsYmaO.jpg

After which, the semi-famous, pre-tyrewalled, inheritance-of-sorts-323F:
ag6xQn7.jpg

Walked up to it one morning and was thinking to myself "why is the driver's door unlocked" after a brief inspection I noticed bits of plastic in the passenger foot well and wires hanging from the steering column.

Currently enjoying something that isn't A) Japanese B) Red and C) FWD:
6id56P8.jpg

(Disclaimer: that's water) My first RWD car, a 1999 BMW 316i (1.9). It has taught me that anything big can be fun as long as it has enough fun to be had from the rear :mrgreen:

I'll only list my first:

1976 Chevrolet Vega. This was the first model year when the Vega did not have the all-aluminum self-destructing engine, and it was also the time when engines were being severely de-tuned in order to meet emission regs. 140CI inline 4 with a twin-barrel carb, easy to service with a relatively cavernous engine bay.

The next year would be the Vega's last. They fixed the engine problem, but far too late to salvage the negative rep on the car. I sold it to a co-worker who didn't actually come after me with a deadly weapon. It eventually rusted out, but the engine and slushbox tyranny were still working perfectly.

I'm game:

But first some info about me: In contrast to most people on a car forum I made my driving licence only when I was already 29 years old. I had no interest in cars up to then (and for some time onwards too as you will see by my choice if cars), was a money investing tightarse, a racing bicycle freak and anyway I live in public transport paradise Switzerland. Hence for a long time I didn't saw the need to enter the world of personal motoring. Until I was in need to get a driving licence to have more mobility for business reasons.

A year later in 2003 finally I bought my first car: 1994 Opel Corsa Sport, 1.4L, 82hp
Ah, the new joy of personal mobility: Went ony my first drive after the purchase on a Friday evening and said: "I will be underway for about half an hour or so." - I ended up doing a two day pan-european roadtrip instead. :lol: - Owning a car is awesome. Who knew?! ;)

1_Opel_Corsa_schwarz__3_.JPG
2005-02-07_004.JPG
1_Opel_Corsa_schwarz__1_.JPG

Pro: It was black metallic and "SPORT" was written on the doors. Enough said.

Contra: I kept the black egg way too long and was constantly pouring money into it to keep it roadworthy beyond it's expiration date. - So here I learned my future rule of bangernomics: "Buy a car, drive it until it dies or the MOT runs out, then throw it away and buy something else".

How it ended: MOT failure after 5 years of ownership. Sold for scrap value.

Second car, purchased in 2008: 1994 Ford Fiesta, 1.4L, 75hp
Soon after I bought the car someone stole both front blinker covers. I didn't care at all and never replaced them. - Also you can see on the second pic one day I had to rescue the little Fiesta out of a winter storm snow drift. :lol:

2_Ford_Fiesta__1_.JPG
2_Ford_Fiesta__2_.JPG
2_Ford_Fiesta__3_.JPG

Pro: Somewhat lovable basic bucket with extremly cheap maintenance.

Contra: Hilarous mispurchase in terms of engine power.

How it ended: Since my daily commute now included Autobahn time my patience with the lack of power grew thin very quickly. - Sold after 1 year, still in running condition.

Third car, purchased in 2009: 1994 Opel Corsa 1.6L, 106hp

3_Opel_Corsa_rot__1_.JPG
3_Opel_Corsa_rot__2_.JPG
3_Opel_Corsa_rot__3_.JPG

Pro: A power to weight ratio of (barely) more than 100hp/ton. How awesome was that! :lol:

Contra: Opel Corsa again.

How it ended: Sold after 2 years because of MOT failure.

Forth car, purchased in 2011: 1993 Honda Concerto 1.6L, 122hp
When I took posession of it it had anti-aircraft-cannon encasements around the exhausts and an equally stupid rear spoiler (see first pic). Got rid of that crap a few days later (see second pic). Much better.

4_Honda_Concerto__2_.JPG
4_Honda_Concerto__3_.JPG
4_Honda_Concerto__1_.JPG

Pro: Somewhat cool in it's own ways. (public will probably agree with that). Also very roomy and airy.

Contra: Technic from the 1980's in a car built in the 1990's, driven in the 2010's = Truly hapless 4-speed automatic. - Also sadly one day I had to replace the utterly cool thin double barrel exhaust with a standard single can because the former had rusted trough completly.

How it ended: As usual by now, after 2 years. Had a hilarious engine failure on the Autobahn: A piston tried to escape trough the bonnet and almost made it: Takatakataka!-Clonk!-Bang! Sold for scrap value.

Fifth car, purchased in 2013: 2002 Renault Laguna 3.0L, V6, 207hp

5_Renault_Laguna__1_.JPG
5_Renault_Laguna__2_.JPG
5_Renault_Laguna__3_.JPG

Pro: Very soft and comfy and had some power. Somewhat nice growly V6 soundtrack too.

Contra: Plastic phantastic interior and a very french and slow automatic gearbox. Also quite a thirsty engine.

How it ended: Slow but steady decline in overall health from the get go. Drove it for the last 6 months with a glowing CE light and an unwell clutch. Sold for scrap value after 2 years still in somewhat drivable condition, one day before the MOT expired.

Sixth and current car, purchased in 2015: 2003 Audi A6 4.2L, V8, 300hp

6_Audi_A6__1_.JPG
6_Audi_A6__2_.JPG
6_Audi_A6__3_.JPG

Pro: Effortless AWD power and extremly comfy. V8 soundtrack is a daily joy. My first good car.

Contra: The transmission/gearbox timebomb fuse is lit, but so far it seems it's a pretty long one.

How it will end: As by my still current rule I will drive it until the MOT expires (~ February 2017) or until the transmission goes into terminal limp mode, wichever comes soonest.

Future cars I want to drive into the ground:
VW Phaeton 6.0L W12, Audi 4.2L S6, Mercedes-Benz 5.5L E500, or basicly just about any other used wafter with AWD and a big engine.

Last edited:
Why the second corsa? And the same gen even... didn't you learn the lesson the first time? :p

At that moment I knew only two cars: A Opel Corsa and a Ford Fiesta. The Corsa was slow, the Fiesta even more. And the Fiesta was the crappier car. So to me the lesson to learn was: Another Corsa, but with a bigger engine. Result!

Seriously I was quite happy with the red rocket. - Until two years later when I saw the MOT guy shaking his head. :D

Last edited:
If you ever have to scrap that Audi - save that beautiful interior :cry:

If you ever have to scrap that Audi - save that beautiful interior :cry:

Word. Hopefully it'll last you a good long while.

It is really interesting to read all these different stories of past cars.

The first cars I drove regularly were a 1988 Toyota Corolla and 1999 Renault Scenic. I didn't own them, but paid my share in their upkeep. I drove them from 2004 till 2008.

COROLLA:
The story: The Corolla had been in your family since 1988. It was a car that was simple but also fun to drive. No power steering, no abs, no anyting modern safety systems. Also the most frugal car I have driven. The modern for its age 1.6 litre 16 valve engine could deliver fuel consumption figures below 5 l/100 km when driven frugally. A feat I have not been able to replicate with any modern car running on 95 octane.
The fate: The rust won it's battle against the car, and it was sold to scrap in 2011.

SCENIC:
The story: Comfortable car with the latest toys back then. Did what it was asked to, and did not provide any surprises. Renaults 2 litre 8 valve engine combined to bigger body was not anywhere as frugal as the Corolla. 7-8 l/100km was the lowest you could achieve with it.
The fate: With over 350 000 kilometres travelled it was soon in a need of a first new clutch, and it was traded to new Ford Fiesta in 2011.

RENAULT MEGANE 1997:
The story: Bought in 2008, the first car I bought myself. I needed a basic and cheap transport when I went to university on another side of the country. The car met the demand. In my 5 and a half years of ownership it had covered 100 000 kilometres, and I had spent about 2000 euros in servicing it.
The fate: Sold in 2014 in good condition for 500 euros. Wanted something with little less noisy cabin.
Total cost of ownership per year (excluding tires and insurance): 370 euros. 900 euros, purchase price included.

RENAULT MEGANE 2003:
The story: Bought the car with 250 000 kilometres on the odometer already. I thought it was a bit of a gamble reliability wise. During first two years of ownership and 40 000 kilometres I have had to change a bit of parts (timing belt and a clutch, for a total cost of 1600 euros), which I expected.
The fate: To be continued. Will most likely be driven to the ground.
Total cost of ownership per year (excluding tires and insurance): 1000 euros per year for the first 2 years. 1900 euros per year including the purchase price.

RENAULT MEGANE 2006:
The story: Needed an another car, as I gave the other Megane for my wife to use. This one has 180 000 kilometres on the LCD screen. During the first half a year it has needed a new alternator, and new tie rod ends for the inspection. Total cost of 600 euros. Both our Meganes consume about one litre more fuel per 100 km than the older 1997 Megane was consuming.
The fate: Time will tell.
Total cost of ownership per year (excluding tires and insurance): So far 600 euros. 3850 euros including the purchase price. :p

Last edited:
At that moment I knew only two cars: A Opel Corsa and a Ford Fiesta. The Corsa was slow, the Fiesta even more. And the Fiesta was the crappier car. So to me the lesson to learn was: Another Corsa, but with a bigger engine. Result!

Seriously I was quite happy with the red rocket. - Until two years later when I saw the MOT guy shaking his head. :D

I really liked that Rover, I mean Honda :p I would've even kept the spoiler.

Last edited:
Let's do a "Motorcycle Edition"

2003 Suzuki SV650S, bought new.

100_0183-crop-512x760.jpg

Picture without mirrors or turn signals, was going to a track day.

My first bike, I learned on it, used it for commuting, weekend ride, and eventually as a track toy. Met my current girlfriend while riding it.

TUE_6925_1280.jpg

Sold it in 2008 for 50% of the initial price, but with a lot of extra parts (and an engine rebuild), with >70000km on the clock.

1988 Yamaha FZR400, bought used in 2008

Race bike, bought it to go racing with my friends in the Canadian VRRA (Vintage Road Racing Association).

DSC_7945.JPG

DSC_7952.JPG

Crashed in 2010, collected dirt in my garage for 5 years, sold in 2015 for almost the same price I had paid for it initially, but with a lot of extra parts (and an engine rebuild).

2008 Yamaha WR250X, bought used in 2013.

IMG_1658-1600.JPG

Still in service. Hoping to not have to rebuild the engine.

If the 4.2 A6 will go away on scrap value, maybe I will be interested in it, too :lol:

My List is a bit smaller, but here goes....

1st: 1987 Ford Club Wagon 150

Learned to drive on this and my vehicle while in High School, needless to say I was hit with all my friends.
Backed into a tree on prom night. So we fixed it up, drove a while and sold it to a carpet company when the gas prices started creeping up. It was costing over 100$ (CDN) to fill both its tanks when gas cost 0.60/L. Last I saw it the poor thing was parked beside a barn rotting away.

2nd: 1988 Ford Tempo Sedan

College Car. I have to say it was a fun little car 1st manual I drove on a regular basis. Changed the colour from turd brown to British Racing Green, looked pretty slick sold it after ended school.

3rd 1988 Mercury Cougar LS

1st car purchased completely on my own. Loved this car, it was only an anemic V6, but was a really nice car. I ended up giving it an XR7 paint treatment and a bunch of interior mods. Buddy of mine borrowed it and ended up wreaking the front end while joyriding. I bought a parts car for the body panels and straightened the front end myself. Drove good for a few months till the engine let go (infamous Ford 3.8 head gasket problem). Kept it for a while was going to restore it and led to a 2nd parts car purchase, but it never materialized. I sold the trio to a scrap dealer. Very sad day.

4th* Parts Car #1 1987 Mercury Cougar LS
5th** Parts Car #2 1986 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0

6th 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
Fate: Sold to guy who wanted it as a derby car after engine started fogging oil.

7th 1999 Ford Windstar
Fate: Sold for Parts to old neighbor. Had a pile of miles, but was dying of body rot.

8th 2000 Pontiac Montana
Love/Hate Relationship Fate: Sold for scrap after head gasket let go.

9th 1992 Pontiac Trans AM
Never roaded, was bought as a project car, but sold it before I did anything with it.

10th 1999 Ford Taurus Wagon
Fate: Scrapped due to Frame Rot

11th (My Current Daily Driver) 2000 Dodge Dakota
Been through hell but it still ticking

12th 2001 Dodge Durango
Fate: Bought as possible replacement for Dakota till engine developed con road knock - Sold for part out

13th (Wife Daily Driver) 2002 Buick Rendezvous

Wife wanted an all wheel drive SUV, so we compromised...

Updated:

I'm game:

But first some info about me: In contrast to most people on a car forum I made my driving licence only when I was already 29 years old. I had no interest in cars up to then (and for some time onwards too as you will see by my choice if cars), was a money investing tightarse, a racing bicycle freak and anyway I live in public transport paradise Switzerland. Hence for a long time I didn't saw the need to enter the world of personal motoring. Until I was in need to get a driving licence to have more mobility for business reasons.

A year later in 2003 finally I bought my first car: 1994 Opel Corsa Sport, 1.4L, 82hp
Ah, the new joy of personal mobility: Went ony my first drive after the purchase on a Friday evening and said: "I will be underway for about half an hour or so." - I ended up doing a two day pan-european roadtrip instead. :lol: - Owning a car is awesome. Who knew?! ;)

1_Opel_Corsa_schwarz__3_.JPG
2005-02-07_004.JPG
1_Opel_Corsa_schwarz__1_.JPG

Pro: It was black metallic and "SPORT" was written on the doors. Enough said.

Contra: I kept the black egg way too long and was constantly pouring money into it to keep it roadworthy beyond it's expiration date. - So here I learned my future rule of bangernomics: "Buy a car, drive it until it dies or the MOT runs out, then throw it away and buy something else".

How it ended: MOT failure after 5 years of ownership. Sold for scrap value.

Second car, purchased in 2008: 1994 Ford Fiesta, 1.4L, 75hp
Soon after I bought the car someone stole both front blinker covers. I didn't care at all and never replaced them. - Also you can see on the second pic one day I had to rescue the little Fiesta out of a winter storm snow drift. :lol:

2_Ford_Fiesta__1_.JPG
2_Ford_Fiesta__2_.JPG
2_Ford_Fiesta__3_.JPG

Pro: Somewhat lovable basic bucket with extremly cheap maintenance.

Contra: Hilarous mispurchase in terms of engine power.

How it ended: Since my daily commute now included Autobahn time my patience with the lack of power grew thin very quickly. - Sold after 1 year, still in running condition.

Third car, purchased in 2009: 1994 Opel Corsa 1.6L, 106hp

3_Opel_Corsa_rot__1_.JPG
3_Opel_Corsa_rot__2_.JPG
3_Opel_Corsa_rot__3_.JPG

Pro: A power to weight ratio of (barely) more than 100hp/ton. How awesome was that! :lol:

Contra: Opel Corsa again.

How it ended: Sold after 2 years because of MOT failure.

Forth car, purchased in 2011: 1993 Honda Concerto 1.6L, 122hp
When I took posession of it it had anti-aircraft-cannon encasements around the exhausts and an equally stupid rear spoiler (see first pic). Got rid of that crap a few days later (see second pic). Much better.

4_Honda_Concerto__2_.JPG
4_Honda_Concerto__3_.JPG
4_Honda_Concerto__1_.JPG

Pro: Somewhat cool in it's own ways. (public will probably agree with that). Also very roomy and airy.

Contra: Technic from the 1980's in a car built in the 1990's, driven in the 2010's = Truly hapless 4-speed automatic. - Also sadly one day I had to replace the utterly cool thin double barrel exhaust with a standard single can because the former had rusted trough completly.

How it ended: As usual by now, after 2 years. Had a hilarious engine failure on the Autobahn: A piston tried to escape trough the bonnet and almost made it: Takatakataka!-Clonk!-Bang! Sold for scrap value.

Fifth car, purchased in 2013: 2002 Renault Laguna 3.0L, V6, 207hp

5_Renault_Laguna__1_.JPG
5_Renault_Laguna__2_.JPG
5_Renault_Laguna__3_.JPG

Pro: Very soft and comfy and had some power. Somewhat nice growly V6 soundtrack too.

Contra: Plastic phantastic interior and a very french and slow automatic gearbox. Also quite a thirsty engine.

How it ended: Slow but steady decline in overall health from the get go. Drove it for the last 6 months with a glowing CE light and an unwell clutch. Sold for scrap value after 2 years still in somewhat drivable condition, one day before the MOT expired.

Sixth car, purchased in 2015: 2003 Audi A6 4.2L, V8, 300hp

6_Audi_A6__1_.JPG
6_Audi_A6__2_.JPG
6_Audi_A6__3_.JPG

Pro: Effortless AWD power and extremly comfy. V8 soundtrack was a daily joy. My first good car.

Contra: The transmission/gearbox timebomb fuse was lit, but it seemed to be a pretty long one, because it didn't got worse during the year I had the car.

How it ended: Very unusually in relation to my car history I traded it in still in good shape only after 1 year, and still with 12 months of MOT left. = I broke my own rules, but in a good way.

Seventh and current car, purchased in 2016: 2000 Audi S6, 4.2L, V8, 340hp

S6__1_.JPG
S6__2_.JPG
S6__3_.JPG

Pro: Even more effortless AWD power. Spacy wagon. Hilariously loud Sportec exhaust system is the highlight of the car, absolute fun even on the daily commute.

Contra: Much more hunkered down and harder as the wafty A6. Drinks petrol like I have shares in an oil company. Key scratch on the hood and some rust on the rear flap.

How it will end: Dunno. MOT until 2/2018, everything can happen. Might even drive it until my ears fall off.

Future cars I want to drive into the ground:
Mercedes-Benz 5.5L E500 4matic, or basicly just about any other used wafter with AWD, a big engine and a big boot. - The two Audis have shown me the ways.

Last edited:
1. 1981 BMW 528i 5-speed

2. 1988 BMW 528e 5-speed

3. 1985 Honda Prelude 5-speed

owned? I only have 1 ex car at the moment.

1993 Ford F-150 Flareside July 2010-August 2013

After a few months of ownership that video.

First things I did, new brakes, tires (Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 FTW). It had a really old worn out set of Uniroyal Tiger Paw GTS, tune up. During the test drive, it would shake under throttle in 3rd or any low revving with throttle input. Tune up fix that, plugs were fouled very badly. Oil change came at some point. Felt fast to me. After the first winter with it, in the spring, one of the tail pipes fell apart and rubbed against the driveshaft. So from the cat backward, I replaced the hollowed out and dual exit muffler with a Cherrybomb 22" glasspack and flow master over the axle universal kit so it exits out the back. I much prefer throaty rumble over raspy crackle shit.

Video right before I replaced belt and tensionor.

From there, all drum brake hardware was replaced with new shoes and drums. It braked much better after that now that all 4 wheels were getting braking power. Transmission was rebuilt after a fuck up with the brother which resulted in a broken tv cable which, if you drive an AOD equipped ford vehicle will roast 3rd and over drive. I ended up having to drive 17 miles in 2nd gear home. Before that, I managed to crack the extension tail housing (it was 2WD so no transfer case) one night after backing up and while still rolling backwards throwing it into drive and hitting the gas. It also had some sort of chrome shorty headers that, I had to get one side machined because it warped. After that, I kept having trouble keeping it sealed at the collector to Y-Pipe connection. I replaced the cat, O2 sensor, and y-pipe since it started to reek and run funny. Throttle sensor, idle air sensor, PCV, EGR, and vacuum lines were replaced to try and fix the slight surging with no results. It ran fine when I sold it with 186k on it. When it left me, most of the underside was painted up, entirely new clamped together exhaust system was in, all the brakes worked perfectly, A/C was converted, bumping stereo. It was great but, the thing screamed of "first car" and I needed to get rid of it. So, after spending $1500 back in July 2010, I sold it for $1200 in August 2013. At that time, the header was leaking again and the rear fuel pump would backfeed into the front tank. Other than that, mechanically sound.

Last edited: