Your Opinion Is Worthless - Mike's Film Show

essentialatom

Car(s)
Renault Clio Sport
You may recall that until recently I had a show on RaW (Radio at Warwick), my student radio station, A Payne In The Glass, which was dedicated to being totally unplanned and really quite student-y. Well, that show may have ended but from the ashes doth rise a phoenix of great magnitude... Your Opinion Is Worthless.

It's a film show I'll be hosting with two guys who are also on my film course. I'll post the bit I wrote to describe the show on the RaW website:

Join Mike, Russell and James as they discuss movies, old and new! Every week we treat you to film reviews, though not necessarily of the latest releases - you can hear about the latest films as well as movies going back to the Fifties and even before that! We also hold discussions about directors, actors, the Oscars, and more in-depth topics such as meanings and themes of films - anything that comes up, really. We talk about film news and what we're looking forward to - or not as the case may be!

You can send us emails throughout the show to tell us what you think about whatever comes up, or indeed bring up topics of discussion yourself and get involved, and every show we play a couple of songs from films that take our fancy. These can range from the odd but genius score to There Will Be Blood to the instantly recognisable Batman theme tune - who knows what you'll be treated to?

It's a fun, intelligent, thought-provoking show - make sure to tune in!

So, there you have it. The show is on on Tuesdays, from 5pm-6pm GMT (which is a much better slot, both for our sleeping patterns and our listening figures) than the early mornings Chris and I used to do.

As ever, I'll upload the shows here if you want to listen and can't make it. Rest assured that if you didn't like A Payne In The Glass, Your Opinion Is Worthless will be a much more lively, interesting and mature show to listen to.

You can always listen to RaW online, via the site - http://www.radio.warwick.ac.uk/ - click 'Listen Now' at the top of the page. And you'll be able to send the studio emails at studio@radio.warwick.ac.uk.

All in all, I'd like to wish you happy listening if you choose to catch or download a few shows. I hope and think that Your Opinion Is Worthless will be a worthwhile listen, especially for you film nuts out there. :D

Episode 1 - http://www.mediafire.com/?mx45td6mbdd

It went well.

We had several emails although one of them complained that my review of Batman Begins was rubbish.

In fact, my views on Batman Begins (it's not very good) led to some pretty good debate between us. We had a good chat about Werner Herzog, and Russell gave us the lowdown on The Orphanage which we all have to see now.

I really enjoyed it, and after ironing out one or two things it could well become the most essential listening ever. So download it now, and say you were there are the start!

You can listen live to today's show at 5pm - less than half an hour! Today we'll be reviewing Iron Man, Speed Racer, something else, and all of John Cassavetes work, ever. Make sure you don't miss it!

To listen online go to www.radio.warwick.ac.uk and click on the link at the top of the page. You can also view us on the webcam, and email us at studio@radio.warwick.ac.uk. I hope you can find a bit of time to listen, it'd be wonderful if you could! :D

Episode 7 is now available for download

James reveals his love for someone's heaving bosom this week, amongst his review of My Blueberry Nights. Russell doesn't get to finish a sentence while taking a look at The Assassination of Jesse James. And I become completely incoherent because I have to keep my adrenaline high to stop some synthetic Chinese shit killing me while I review Crank. And an off-air conversation determines that although we said we were going to review The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, it's too good to just shove in at the end of the show.

Last edited:
Episode 8 is now available for download

In this show, James isn't there for a while because he's stuck in Birmingham. Russell reviews London to Brighton, and we have an argument about Transformers for a while until James shows up, then we review The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, and James talks about I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK, which is a 15-rated Korean kids' movie. And Transformers is still shit.

I'm going to try and catch up on this next week. I've only listened to the first so far as I've been a bit pre-occupied with exams.

Episode 9 is now available for download

Sorry for the delay (it's well over a week since we did the show), but I've been very, very lazy. Very lazy indeed.

So lazy, in fact, that we haven't even bothered to do a tenth episode. This is the final one of the year. (Actually it's because the RaW studios are moving early as part of the Union rebuild.)

In this show, Russell began with a scathing review of Lost In Translation, James expressed a vaguely controversial view of No Country For Old Men, and I wished more people hade seen Black Snake Moan. And we finished five minutes early because the next show decided they could take the piss and butt into our show.

And Transformers will always be shit.