Your personal six degrees of separation

It's difficult to tell because I know got 1 to 4 degrees to some very famous people, but I don't know who exactly those people know.

I'll just go with Noam Chomsky on second degree. The connecting person can post for himself, if he wants to. If not, I've got enough Computer Science Professors in my first degree to somehow make it to Chomsky by six.

Last edited:
So let me see if I've got this right-

You > Forum member you've met > Noam Chomsky (who I'm about to Google)

Is that right?

According to Wikipedia he once debated , who could probably be connected to a lot of people.

- - - Updated - - -

William F. Buckley Jr met Ronald Reagan and debated on TV with Gore Vidal.

So-

You > Forum member you've met > Noam Chomsky > William F. Buckley Jr > Ronald Reagan > Lots of people from politics and Hollywood

and

You > Forum member you've met > Noam Chomsky > William F. Buckley Jr > Gore Vidal > Lots of people

Last edited:
So through Candice Bergen you can connect yourself to a lot of old Saturday Night Livers like Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray, Lily Tomlin and Chevy Chase. You could also use appearances on Murphy Brown to connect yourself to a lot of people including Aretha Franklin, Katie Couric and Julia Roberts. Through Aykroyd you could connect yourself to various music legends like Ray Charles, Eric Clapton and B.B. King. Through Aretha's appearance at the 1993 Presidential inauguration you are connected to Bill Clinton and Bob Dylan. So-

You > Candice Bergen > Aretha Franklin (appeared on Murphy Brown) > Bill Clinton > Hillary Clinton > Barack Obama.

You > Your Aunt had an audience with > Pope John Paul II who met > Fidel Castro.

You forgot Odo (DS9) and Capt James T Kirk via Boston Legal.

Denny Crane!

I met Noam Chomsky last week, so that's one degree from him.
And I've worked with several people who worked on Inglorious Basterds, so that's two degrees from Tarantino and co.

I know a guy who was a roadie for a famous Belgian singer, she met the king, who met Bush, who obviously met Obama.

I'm sorry but anyone not living in a swamp in Nigeria is going to end up with world leaders eventually.

You forgot Odo (DS9) and Capt James T Kirk via Boston Legal.

Denny Crane!

Forgot about Boston Legal. :blush:

I met Noam Chomsky last week, so that's one degree from him.

I can get you and DanRom to some pretty interesting people from Chomsky-

Noam Chomsky > William F. Buckley Jr > Gore Vidal whose father was > Eugene Vidal, who worked with > Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Noam Chomsky > William F. Buckley Jr > Gore Vidal whose father was > Eugene Vidal, who "knew" (in the biblical sense) > Amelia Earhart.

Not too shabby.

- - - Updated - - -

I know a guy who was a roadie for a famous Belgian singer, she met the king, who met Bush, who obviously met Obama.

I'm sorry but anyone not living in a swamp in Nigeria is going to end up with world leaders eventually.

That is the point of the game. The theory is that anybody on the planet can be linked to anybody else on the planet in six steps or less. You just have to be able to find the connections.

Last edited:
And let's not forget all the people at this year's ringmeet -> MWF (-> he-he, if necessary) -> the TG crew -> ... ;)

Shit yo. Same aunt is also a big Democratic Party supporter so i've got some in to Bill and Hillary as well as Barry. She's a well-connected lady. Damn.

hm, i could add: my mum has met mutiple health ministers from germany and other EU states, so most of europe's politians should be 3 or 4 degrees...

Oh, I am good friends with BJ Novak's brother and have met him a bunch of times. So from him I get Steve Carrell and Tarantino and a ton of others.

I took a few classes taught by Tom Skerritt so that includes pretty much the entire entertainment business.

I know my sister met a bunch of famous people when she was young, through the March of Dimes, but I can't really think of any. Not really the sort of thing I get too excited about. But I did find a story from my brother funny. He worked for a Mercedes-Benz dealership in California when Bill Murray brought his car in for service, smelling of weed and flirting with the female employees. Then he got bored and started flicking paper clips at my brother while he was trying to take customer calls.

I have never (different game, same result) met anyone who has told me they know/know some who knows anyone famous. However, I do live in a dismal swamp in Texas and am not very interested in famous people.

So just after posting I remembered that through sailing we have met several former olympians who obviously met Bill Clinton as that was the era they won medals. Darn Cowboy and his six degrees logic.

Last edited:
I got bear-hugged by Jerry Only at a Misfits gig years ago and also had the opportunity to meet former Black Flag vocalist/guitarist Dez Cadena, who whilst in Black Flag performed along side Henry Rollins and Robo who drummed for both bands. Rollins coincidentally has the Misfit Fiend tattooed on his arm and I also saw him doing a show at the Edinburgh Fringe a few weeks ago. :) I f I had the chance to meet him I probably would've licked his face.

Meanwhile, what ties them all together is Glenn Danzig, who is still after all this time; a total twat. :)

Less six degrees and more genealogy but there is a remote chance given my mother's maiden name that I may be distantly related to Bill Hicks. Which would be :cool: