Your worst traffic annoyances

Jaguar guy here, remember? Besides, I don't have anywhere to put it.

You should buy it yourself.

whoa, wtf kind of a weird 6 series is that? looks really strange.... is it just the rims, or is there something weird about it?

It's just the later wheels and the American-market headlights. (Stupid ****ing DOT regs....) Plus, he's got some sort of camera artifact in the pictures of the front quarter of the car.

Last edited:
Why do you have good cars there? All we have here are sort of the generic pieces of crap way overpriced for their mileage...

S'pose I could buy something down there then drive it home...

Not all of Texas is flat like Kansas. In addition, we have a few, just a few, of those things called "curves". And there's a huge motorsport culture here.

Here, people can discover a little of what a good car is, instead of cruising straight for 500 miles across the state with no elevation or heading changes, which shows little about a car. :D

Lots of people in the Midwest do buy cars from Texas and drive/trailer/tow/ship them home. In fact, the largest Jaguar-specific preowned car dealer in the world is here in Dallas and their specialty is selling to out-of-staters for good prices.

Not all of Texas is flat like Kansas. In addition, we have a few, just a few, of those things called "curves". And there's a huge motorsport culture here.

Here, people can discover a little of what a good car is, instead of cruising straight for 500 miles across the state with no elevation or heading changes, which shows little about a car. :D

Lots of people in the Midwest do buy cars from Texas and drive/trailer/tow/ship them home. In fact, the largest Jaguar-specific preowned car dealer in the world is here in Dallas and their specialty is selling to out-of-staters for good prices.

By golly then whenever I find a car I can afford and like I'll be making a trip to Texas. Probably will be a Mustang of some sort or type...
Even if I'll get in and out as quickly as possible. Can't stand most of you Texans. Kansas really has no motorsport culture, no cruising, only one pretty crappy public road course (Topeka. Been there, it sucks.).

Can't stand most of you Texans.

I've met a few weird texans, but for the most part they seem to me my favourite southerners. Only place in the south I'd consider living.

I've met a few weird texans, but for the most part they seem to me my favourite southerners. Only place in the south I'd consider living.

I'm a tree-huggin war-hatin family-destroyin democrat who also happens to be an Atheist.
Sooo Texans don't especially mix well with me, for the most part.
And I don't like hicks.

I'm a tree-huggin
And you're here on a car forum, talking about getting a mustang?
war-hatin family-destroyin democrat who also happens to be an Atheist.
Sooo Texans don't especially mix well with me, for the most part.
And I don't like hicks.

Isn't that kind of like the kettle calling the pot black? Kansas voted bush the last 8 years as well, how can texans be any worse?

You'd like Austin :p

It's certainly a little oasis of europe in the middle of texas (AND IT HAS A SHIT LOAD OF SMOKIN HOT CHICKS!!)

And you're here on a car forum, talking about getting a mustang?

Isn't that kind of like the kettle calling the pot black? Kansas voted bush the last 8 years as well, how can texans be any worse?

It's certainly a little oasis of europe in the middle of texas (AND IT HAS A SHIT LOAD OF SMOKIN HOT CHICKS!!)

Those adjectives were simply jokes... I may be a fairly liberal democrat but I reserve my right to pollute the environment with gas and rubber smoke as I deem necessary. I also support families of all types and am a defender of the military. And as for Kansas, I know, but I'm 17 so not THAT much I can do about it. I intend to be going to school in Chicago.

Those adjectives were simply jokes... I may be a fairly liberal democrat but I reserve my right to pollute the environment with gas and rubber smoke as I deem necessary. I also support families of all types and am a defender of the military. And as for Kansas, I know, but I'm 17 so not THAT much I can do about it. I intend to be going to school in Chicago.
lol, I was exaggerating same as you, I was just thinking that kansas can't be that different from texas (though I wouldn't know, I've never been to kansas).

BTW, last time I was in houston, I saw a bumper sticker that said "If you can read this, you're not the president" :lol:

People who turn off their high beams about 5 seconds after you're blinded by them.

Ughh, jeez I hate that. There's been plenty of times where I've had a near accident on a hwy at night because of some jerk not shutting the high beam blinders off.

Especially scary at 110kph in epic wind and rain and pitch darkness. In those conditions even having the car lit up like a Christmas tree wasn't making any improvement on the visibility. Some smartass dazzled me with the headlights just as I came up on a steep curve, I couldn't see how sharp it was and ended up putting the left hand side tyres of my dad's car in the gravel and I slid dangerously close to the guard rail. I still don't know how I didn't crash I must've still had just enough traction to keep the car taking the curve and back onto the bitumen. Happened just a week after getting my driver's license last year, and it's still by far the scariest driving experience I've had. I was still shaking like an idiot when I reached home half an hour later.

Ok, here are some points from a commuter cyclist and 4x4 driver (They ballance out... I think)

As a Cyclist, what annoys me;

1) People who question my legitimacy as a road user.
The typical quip here seems to be "You pay rego on that?"... I would if I could. Cyclists need to be more accountable for their actions. However, I still pay for the upkeep of roads through the tax I pay. So please stop using your weak and pathetic "No pay no play" argument. Yelling profanities, spitting or throwing things at me is only going to make me more hostile.

2) People who don't can't handle the fact that I occasionally need to take the center of a lane.
I wear the bright red clothes. I have the crazily bright, $300 lights. That ain't much help if I'm not where you're looking. At an intersection, turning right, I will take the center lane for the turn. You can see me, and most of the time, in such cases, I'm as fast through the turn. I take a lane so you don't inadvertantly(or in some cases, intentionally)push me into the gutter. Soon as I'm through the intersection, I'm back on the shoulder/in the bottom lane .
Additionally, I'll move out and take the lane if I'm coming up on a parked car. Dunno how many of you have run into an open door at 30Km/h, but it really does suck. Especially if you're not expecting it.

3) People who seem to have cyclist-blindness.
Y'know what's scary? Going through a roundabout, and a car pull out in front of you. I indicate, I make eye contact, I have all the paraphernalia to make myself and my intentions obvious, but some people just aren't looking. I don't have a big metal structure to protect me on the bike, just a layer of CF, plastic and polystyrene on my head.

4)People who think trying to intimidate me will get them anywhere.
I know where I stand. I'll try to help out my fellow road users as much as I can, but aggressive and intimidatory tactics will not make me go any faster. Nor will honking your horn. So please refrain.

As a Driver;
1) People who tailgate.
2)People who don't indicate, or are indecisive indicators. Especially at roundabouts.
3)People who don't obey the rules. Red lights mean stop kiddies.
4)Cyclists without lights. They're not expensive guys, get some if you're riding in the dark. Pedestrians might do well to carry something too, it'd help.
5)Pedestrians/Cyclists who insist on wearing dark colours at night. You are damn near impossible to see.
6) People who drive with no concern for anything but their destination. People in soft roaders doing 140+ going to Thredbo with children in the back, I'm looking at you.
7)People who think trying to intimidate me will get them anywhere.

That's all I can think of for the moment...
EDIT; Actually, here are more;
8) People who think it's a good idea to drive in urban areas with their high beams on.
9)People with badly adjusted headlights. You know the ones, that look like really low power high beams.
10) People who can't operate high beams correctly on rural roads. This really should be part of the L-plate course.
P.

Last edited:
Ok, here are some points from a commuter cyclist and 4x4 driver (They ballance out... I think)

As a Cyclist, what annoys me;

1) People who question my legitimacy as a road user.
The typical quip here seems to be "You pay rego on that?"... I would if I could. Cyclists need to be more accountable for their actions. However, I still pay for the upkeep of roads through the tax I pay. So please stop using your weak and pathetic "No pay no play" argument. Yelling profanities, spitting or throwing things at me is only going to make me more hostile.

In the US, bicyclists do not have to be registered or inspected, their operators do not have to be licensed, and they don't pay road tax. Any time someone suggests the above, the bicyclists get all up in arms and start doing things like marching on city hall. They also get all up in arms if someone closes one of their special bicycle trails or plans a new community without cycle lanes.

Personally, I think they need to stay on the sidewalk with that attitude. And if bicyclists are "road users like any other", why is there no mandatory rider's education class? Why aren't bicyclists licensed?

And why do my tax dollars go to bicycle paths that I can't use my motorcycle on? After all, turnabout is fair play, right? If bicyclists can use the road, why can't I use bicycle paths?

I find that bicyclists, especially the Lycra clad, Oakley-wearing, Lance Armstrong wannabe types are some of the most arrogant, overweening, and demanding people I've ever encountered on the road. Most especially annoying is when they pull up to a light and DELIBERATELY turn their pedalbike sideways so a guy on a motorcycle can't get by to make a right turn. And if you politely ask them to let you by, they flip you off and give you a tirade about how they're entitled to the use of the entire road and lane and they don't have to let you by and you're impertinent to ask, etc., etc.

This is why I'm starting to carry a cattleprod on my motorcycle. I'm tired of waiting for these idiots to get out of the way so my air-cooled motorcycle won't overheat unnecessarily.

Last edited:
In the US, bicyclists do not have to be registered or inspected, their operators do not have to be licensed, and they don't pay road tax.

But they do pay tax.

why is there no mandatory rider's education class?
Not a bad idea, I often see crap cyclists, as well as crap drivers

If bicyclists can use the road, why can't I use bicycle paths?

If handicapped people can park in the normal spots, why can't I park in handicapped spots?

But they do pay tax.

Ah, but in the US, taxes are divided up differently. For example, in my state, income taxes go into the general Federal fund, where funding for the big Interstate highway system comes from. Bicycles are banned from the highways as they are too slow and are safety hazards to themselves and others. However, as this is a common good, you derive benefit and use them anyway - if not in person, then to have goods shipped to you for purchase, i.e., interstate commerce.

Local roads and bridges are covered by a special tax, which is only levied on motor vehicles, trailers, and parade floats. All funding for local and state roads comes from this tax. Bicyclists do not pay this tax, yet these are the roads they use/congest/abuse.

Not a bad idea, I often see crap cyclists, as well as crap drivers

All *other* road users have to undergo mandatory training and licensing, at not negligible cost. I see no reason why road-using bicycle riders should be any different.

If handicapped people can park in the normal spots, why can't I park in handicapped spots?

Well, that's a little different. Thing is, bicycle paths are small roads designed for two wheeled traffic. They often have speed limits, despite the fact that pedalbikes don't usually have speedometers. What would be the difference between some guys riding a big cruiser-type triple pedalbike down it at 10mph or me on my motorcycle riding down it at 10mph?

In the US, bicyclists do not have to be registered or inspected, their operators do not have to be licensed, and they don't pay road tax. Any time someone suggests the above, the bicyclists get all up in arms and start doing things like marching on city hall. They also get all up in arms if someone closes one of their special bicycle trails or plans a new community without cycle lanes.

Personally, I think they need to stay on the sidewalk with that attitude. And if bicyclists are "road users like any other", why is there no mandatory rider's education class? Why aren't bicyclists licensed?

And why do my tax dollars go to bicycle paths that I can't use my motorcycle on? After all, turnabout is fair play, right? If bicyclists can use the road, why can't I use bicycle paths?

Y'know, I actually agree with a lot of what's been said here. Some of the bikes we see kicking around are really bloody dangerous. A prime example that New York residents will be familiar with is the brakeless fixed-gear bike. There is no accountability for cyclists at the moment, and that is a major cause of problems. I would gladly pay $70-80 a year to get a number plate and inspection done on each of bikes.

I'm all for rider education classes. Heck, you need them for motorcycles, why not for push bikes? I'd sign up given half a chance.

As for the motorbikes on bike paths, well, that's due to a general idea that there isn't a bike specific path per se, rather a "shared usage path". When you're amongst pedestrians with small children, pets, and no concept of keep left/right(depending on country), space becomes a problem, even for a bicycle, never mind a motorcycle... And the surfaces aren't crash hot either.
Although, around here, it hardly seems to stop people. On a couple of occasions I've been overtaken by mini/pocket bikes on the paths. Burning castor oil isn't much help when you're performing a highly aerobic activity :p
I'm a little confused as to why particularly you'd want to ride on a path though. Most motorbikes can hold pace with traffic in any given situation... I can't (Well, not for long) on a bicycle, so I am provided with an alternative that allows motorists to get where they're going and allows me to get where I'm going with a minimum of fuss for all concerned.

Oh, yes, with regards to tax and road funding;
Here, in Australia, each state has a regulatory authority that is placed in charge of the state's roads, and it is assisted in local government areas by councils. Both are funded from consolidated revenue.

Last edited:
As for the motorbikes on bike paths, well, that's due to a general idea that there isn't a bike specific path per se, rather a "shared usage path". When you're amongst pedestrians with small children, pets, and no concept of keep left/right(depending on country), space becomes a problem, even for a bicycle, never mind a motorcycle... And the surfaces aren't crash hot either.

Eh... the space envelope for my motorcycle isn't signigicantly larger than some of these mountain bikes I've seen using trails.

My problem isn't so much the fact that these separate paths and trails are set aside for pedalbikes only. My problem is that I am being forced to pay for something that I will derive no benefit from, while freeloading bicyclists complain if someone even thinks about making them pay 1% of the cost for their "special" facilities.

We make the handicapped pay a tax for their special tags or placards, which covers the minimal impact they have on traffic and the general weal. Bicyclists demand far more and pay nothing.