Video: YouTube finally enables 60fps for all users

IceBone

Blue Wheel Hipster
Car(s)
Audi A5 Quattro
That's right folks, it's been promised months ago and now it's finally here. 60 fps videos for everyone. YouTube still says they'll only enable it for motion intensive stuff, so if you upload a 60fps video of paint drying, it sadly won't make the cut.

Now have at it. :)

Nice. It's a shame the servers can't seem to handle to load though, I have trouble getting 30fps videos to play without stopping to buffer (tested 60mbps connection). I can't get any of the recent 60fps videos to play at all.

Next episode of Fortnightly Frontier is going to be (attempted) to be in 60 fps. The test intro's already up and running.

I'd like to watch it but can't, nothing 60fps and HD will load. :roll:

It isn't a speed issue at my end but I wonder if my ISP is doing something similar with connections to Youtube...

Could be just temporary. I have sporadic issues with youtube every few months too.

60fps videos are loading fine here in the wilds of Scotland on my 9.17mbps connection, no buffering at all! I did go through a patch of YT videos loading really slowly a month or so ago, sometimes I had to resort to 480p the buffering was so bad...

Oh, cool. Wasn't showing up for me when I tried it before. Must have still been processing.

- - - Updated - - -

And holy hell, that difference. This is a game changer.

I think 60 looks weird. The background seems to move too fast.

I take it you play a lot of console games? heh

It looks completely normal to me.

Could be just temporary. I have sporadic issues with youtube every few months too.

Apparently it's Firefox, it simply won't load any videos that are supposed to be 60fps. Bleh.

I highly appreciate that change. I just hope it works fine with my DSL at home. The 75mbit here didn't have any issue with it ofc.

What's weird...years and years ago, if memory serves me right, I could have sworn YT allowed 60fps. It just didn't label it with "60". I used upload car vids @ 60 'cause the playback was much smoother.

I take it you play a lot of console games? heh

It looks completely normal to me.

Maybe :p
But I play CS:Source on PC and that runs at a billion fps. (Capped at 100 I think)

Theres 30 or 60? tests online. Most of the time I can't tell the difference.

I have good news! It works with IE! :D

I tried that last night but also got nothing

I did say it needs chrome. Also, it's html5 only, no flash.

I read that as required for embedded. :p

Apparently the nightly build of Firefox works but there's no way I'm using that as my main browser. I've got Chrome portable though just for playing.

What's weird...years and years ago, if memory serves me right, I could have sworn YT allowed 60fps. It just didn't label it with "60". I used upload car vids @ 60 'cause the playback was much smoother.

Maybe their re-encoding of 60fps is pretty good. :dunno:

The difference is certainly noticable on the Mario Circuit video.

I did say it needs chrome. Also, it's html5 only, no flash.
Google and people should take their heads out of their asses already and make html5 video be browser independent.