Ownership Verified: Yuppiemobile part 2: 1993 Saab 900i 2.1-16

The tow truck driver put it into neutral. Was in third I think. I didn't think this would be potentially damaging?

Just brute force basically, shouldn't be too hard particularly if there's no load. The engine was off (obviously) in this circumstance.

Last edited:
There's no particular need to use a clutch when shifting a manual. It just makes the shifting procedure a helluva lot easier.

Especially shifting to from gear to neutral should be possible just by quickly forcing the stick. Obviously not recommended in a syncro-box, but at idle speeds it doesn't really matter. Under heavy loads could be a bit riskier.

Man, if you are a banger driver, the most important thing to have is towing insurance! It's one of the main rules!

I once had a bad slave cylinder in my 190E, with symptoms close to what you describe. Shifting wasn't too bad, once you got the revmatching down. Starting was another matter.
Except this went from being absolutely fine to having no clutch at all in the space of around 30 seconds.

Man, if you are a banger driver, the most important thing to have is towing insurance! It's one of the main rules!
I have learnt that the hard way. I had a membership for the NRMA (like AAA or RAC or whatever) for the Renault, and I naively thought it would cover any car I owned - i.e. it's my membership, not the car's membership.

Look into RACV's NSW counterpart. My membership will cover any car I'm in, plus I can nominate another car. So I list my GF's Volvo (in the unlikely event) and get tows for whatever car I happen to be a passenger in.

Look into RACV's NSW counterpart. My membership will cover any car I'm in, plus I can nominate another car. So I list my GF's Volvo (in the unlikely event) and get tows for whatever car I happen to be a passenger in.

NSW's equivalent is the NRMA. But I've since changed my cover so it's now more universal. Lessons you learn.

Anyway, I had a quick look today. All the clutch fluid is gone (no surprise), it's pooled on the bash plate underneath the gearbox, so tomorrow when I get a chance I'll jack it up and have a look. Best case scenario, a line has gone bad. Worst (and most likely) case, the slave is shot. Which means taking the clutch out, which is not too daunting, but apparently I need a special Saab tool which I don't have and doubt I'll be able to find... Tits.

Also went to the local Pick-A-Part scrapyard place today, they had a shitload of 9000s and a few NG900s, but no classic 900s. So my search for spares continues.

Public, shame you don't have the Sapporo any more, there was a Magna Elite there with the whole digital dash and everything. Pretty intact too.

Oh damn. Maybe I should get the dash and hold onto it until I buy another one. :p

But where is Spectre to complain about the fact the clutch parts are easily accessible in the front of the engine due to the backwards configuration? :p

God-damn previous owner.

But where is Spectre to complain about the fact the clutch parts are easily accessible in the front of the engine due to the backwards configuration? :p

Funnily enough, it's one of the first things I thought of. "Well, at least my engine is backwards" :lol:

I already have enough time with a super stiff racing clutch in the Clio to not want to deal with that in another car :p

I'll try to reuse the current clutch, unless it's too far gone. Don't want to spend money where I don't have to.