Z3M vs 135i vs M3

Z3M vs 135i vs M3

• Total voters
This is what I would buy... if you include the E46 you gotta allow this too.

m_02.jpg

seconded... M Coupe = Best M car since the E30 M3

^

I love the Z3M Coupe as well, but I prefer the S54.

Maybe a Z3M with S54? That would be pretty epic.

what you talking about willis? the 2001-2002 M Coupe has the S54B3

Last edited:
Sorry to break it to you all, but the 3-Series is the least douchey/cocky of these three cars, at least over here.

At leas the 3-Series is a bit of a 'family' car... the Z4 and 135i are perfect for driving around being cocky.

I'd buy the new 3.0TT and slot it into a E46, love the styling on that car too much.

what you talking about willis? the 2001-2002 M Coupe has the S54B3

No, the old shape M Roadster & M Coupe had the S50, while the yanks got the less powerful S52 variant. First gen M Coupe only recived the S54 engine after the revise/face lift, and the S54 was neutered as well, the redline was dropped about 500~600rpm IIRC.

What I was referring to was the proper S54B32, the epic straight 6 found in the last gen M3 (or E46 M3 / CSL / Z4M Coupe), which you can't get in the first gen M Coupe.

Last edited:
I'd buy the new 3.0TT and slot it into a E46, love the styling on that car too much.

If you are thinking about modding/transplanting the E46, why not consider the following:

1. Chuck two turbos on the E46 M3 (S54). There are a lot of turbo conversion packages around.

2. What about.. the epic N52B30?? (130i and Z4 3.0si) The 3.0TT engine found in the 335/135 is the old spec M54B30 unit, which is not advanced as the N52 variant, despite the same displacement.

The N52 engine in my car pushes out 200Kw/272bhp in standard trim. Drop 2 turbos in and you can easily get over 350bhp. It also revs to 7500rpm, which is higher than the new 3.0TT N54 (based on the M54), if you are into a high revving engine, you will probably like this idea better : )

No, the old shape M Roadster & M Coupe had the S50, while the yanks got the less powerful S52 variant. First gen M Coupe only recived the S54 engine after the revise/face lift, and the S54 was neutered as well, the redline was dropped about 500~600rpm IIRC.

What I was referring to was the proper S54B32, the epic straight 6 found in the last gen M3 (or E46 M3 / CSL / Z4M Coupe), which you can't get in the first gen M Coupe.

Yes, the '01-'02 Z3 M Coupe was a bit "neutered", but a redline drop of 500rpm (which helped keep it more reliable) and a drop of 15hp is hardly what I would consider neutered, or worth complaining about. ;)
My Z3 Coupe has 225hp and is plenty quick. I can hardly imagine an extra 90hp on top of that!:blink:

Oh God the M3 without a doubt. I like the Z4M very very much but I also have friends which I drive around so if I had to buy one it would be the M3.

E46 M3, 135i doesn't feel like a grownup product and I don't like the looks of Z4M :)

135i doesn't feel like a grownup product

Define grown up product ?

Are you implying that the 135 is for kids? Or the fact that is looks like a noddy car?

If you are thinking about modding/transplanting the E46, why not consider the following:

1. Chuck two turbos on the E46 M3 (S54). There are a lot of turbo conversion packages around.

2. What about.. the epic N52B30?? (130i and Z4 3.0si) The 3.0TT engine found in the 335/135 is the old spec M54B30 unit, which is not advanced as the N52 variant, despite the same displacement.

The N52 engine in my car pushes out 200Kw/272bhp in standard trim. Drop 2 turbos in and you can easily get over 350bhp. It also revs to 7500rpm, which is higher than the new 3.0TT N54 (based on the M54), if you are into a high revving engine, you will probably like this idea better : )

1) Turbocharge an already highly stressed engine? Surely you must be mad. S54s regularly blow themselves up without the aid of any forced induction. Furthermore, turbocharging it would completely ruin it's character.

2) The Wikipedia article on the S52 engine is wrong, in that respect. The N52 and N54 engine are both all-new engines, with little in common with their M-designated predecessors. Sure, the N54 doesn't have Valvetronic, but remember that the purpose of Valvetronic is to reduce intake vacuum (and hence pumping losses); something that isn't as much of an issue with a turbocharged engine. If we're going to base engine advancement solely on what it has vs. what it does not, then remember that the N54 has direct fuel injection, whereas the N52 does not, at least for now.

1) Turbocharge an already highly stressed engine? Surely you must be mad. S54s regularly blow themselves up without the aid of any forced induction. Furthermore, turbocharging it would completely ruin it's character.

2) The Wikipedia article on the S52 engine is wrong, in that respect. The N52 and N54 engine are both all-new engines, with little in common with their M-designated predecessors.

1) No, I'm not mad. There are lots of turbo conversion packages around. A simple "E46 M3 turbo" in google will bring up thousands of pages and available packages.

2) What does the S52 have to do with N54? One is the US spec (neutered) E36 M3, other one is a brand new 3.0TT engine.

Last edited:
2) What does the S52 have to do with N54? One is the US spec (neutered) E36 M3, other one is a brand new 3.0TT engine.

It doesn't mean anything; it was a typo that I neglected to catch. I meant to say N52 instead of S52. Hope that makes some more sense.

And I still stand by what I said about turbocharging an S54 engine - sure it will make more power, but at what cost to reliability? I owned an '03 E46 M3 for some time, and I had to get new engine in it before I got rid of it last February (out of the extended warranty, but goodwilled by BMW, thank goodness) because a couple bottom end bearings (one main and one rod bearing) wore out prematurely, on account of repeated and prolonged oil starvation - a repeat of the problems the S54 had in it's early life, even though this car had the new oil pump and rod bearings retrofitted early in it's life. Now, I maintained this car meticulously, and although I admit taking it up to the redline once in a while, I gave this car the "white glove" treatment, especially in the winter. This engine doesn't have a great reputation for reliability to begin with; I imagine turbocharging it will only aggravate these problems.

Last edited:
erm am I weird that I don't want to tune any of these machines?

Anyways, Z4M FTMFW. Sure the M3 is nice, but it's not a sportscar. The 135i is just silly expensive

and i dont like the proportions of 135i. M3 for me ty..

as far as M3 turbo kits go, I've got three letters for you: HPF. Horsepower Freaks have some crazy kits for the E46

Don't forget Active Autowerke as well

erm am I weird that I don't want to tune any of these machines?

No you're not. It's great to leave the ///Ms stock. But you HAVE to mod the 135i, it's a must :mrgreen:

I did take a look at both the 135 and 335 as a future car, and went to the BMW website to see how much one would be and tried to customise it to my taste.

The thing I hate most about BMW is the fact that they think they know more than me when it comes to the way I want my car to look. You want blue sir? Oh but then you need to delete the Msport package. Oh those wheels only come with the Msport package. Oh you can't have tan leather with that combination. I know it's designed to stop idiots driving around in pink interiored X5's, but I still want the choice.

I also know that BMW Individual is supposed to cater for people like me, but I don't particularly want to wait another 6 months for a car just so they can specifically build it at the factory.