"zero counter"

jasonchiu

Forum Addict
its some drifting tech. but i have no clue what it is and is menna be mastered by Nakaya or something. he suposivly can drift a evo which takes alot of skill

It means drifting without counter steer. It's completely throttle controlled. The evo could do this with a grandma driving it though, as the onboard computers naturally put the car into this state.

It's more commonly referred to as four wheel drift, and can be done in RWD's, FWD's, anything that's very well set up.

You rotate the car on the straight before the corner, using the brakes to oversteer slightly. Then when you touch the apex you accurately hit the gas and keep the car at a constant angle to the trajectory until you are heading down the next straight. :)

When done correctly, the only steering input required is the initial turn in. ;)

This is the fastest and most practical form of drift. It employs small angles and no smoke. You don't actually breach the peak grip of the car, but maximise it.

most practical form of drift
what do you mean by practical? :unsure:
practical like most common, most used in practice / or practical like "handy, easy to use"?

i think what me means is that it is the form of drift most likly to be used in an actual race

TF

It employs small angles

^ Then i'd say he isnt right, because in competitions your are judged on angle, and the more angle the more countesteer you need.

when i said in a race i ment in an actual race like a tarmac rally not a drift comp

TF

pdanev said:
It employs small angles

^ Then i'd say he isnt right, because in competitions your are judged on angle, and the more angle the more countesteer you need.

More angle doesn't mean more points. Too much angle will slow you down and lose you points.

man i used to get almost all rwd cars sideways.. till i heard that people call it drifting and its a real sport... its probably the most fun thing to do, but i don't think drifting is a real sport, and please don't say you need skills to do it, obviously the ones who don't know how to "drift" don't know how to drive good. and with all those crazy LSD, its getting easier and easier to control a drift for so long. hey its still better than Nascar :p (anything is)

logo said:
man i used to get almost all rwd cars sideways.. till i heard that people call it drifting and its a real sport... its probably the most fun thing to do, but i don't think drifting is a real sport, and please don't say you need skills to do it, obviously the ones who don't know how to "drift" don't know how to drive good. and with all those crazy LSD, its getting easier and easier to control a drift for so long. hey its still better than Nascar :p (anything is)

Amen.

Leppy said:
pdanev said:
It employs small angles

More angle doesn't mean more points. Too much angle will slow you down and lose you points.

yes i know, obviously too much angle will slow you down indeed. its a trade off between speed and angle. combine both, and then the more the better :)

logo
and please don't say you need skills to do it, obviously the ones who don't know how to "drift" don't know how to drive good
so then everyone with a driving license can drift?
or the other way around. say a 50year taxi driver, with x million kms behind the wheel, and with not a single accident caused, is not a good driver because he is not able to drift?

He's talking about driving ability. Taxi drivers (on the whole) aren't skilled, despite all their experience at doing 10kmh over the speed limit everywhere in their automatic crapmobiles with plastic retread tyres. :p

BTW, i should've added comment on the four wheel drift. Beyond the racing application, there is a more extreme method. You turn the car nearly 180 degrees to the corner at the entry (putting it in backwards), using the sideways force generated by the spin to push the car across the corner. Then you modulate the throttle to push/pull it through the corner.

Here is a very bad hand drawing in paint... The car is the rectangle thing, and it's starting at the bottom left:

slide.JPG

So the sideways force is what takes you laterally (across the apex), and the throttle is what keeps you out off the trees. ;)

This is actually quite functional on snow and gravel. Modern WRC cars do away with it due to their fancy diffs, but a while ago it was all the rage. :D

Oh, check out this video for going into a corner backwards (it's the last scene). He uses the handbrake, but for more open corners you'd just use the brakes.

http://www.allmotorlink.com/galli_video/gigi_6.wmv