Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: History Channel gives Top Gear USA the axe

History Channel gives Top Gear USA the axe

After six seasons, Top Gear USA is getting cancelled. The news comes from Rutledge Wood's Instagram page where the host implies the History Channel was behind the decision. While that's bad news, Wood claims that Top Gear USA may not be completely dead. "I'm not saying Top Gear USA is done, but it's done for the immediate future on History," states Wood.

The last episode of Top Gear USA featuring Adam Ferrara, Tanner Foust, and Wood will air on June 28th (Tuesday night) and has the hosts driving classic American cars in Cuba. According to Wood, the last episode is "one of the coolest things we have ever done together." So here's to hoping the show leaves on a good note.

The American version of Top Gear first aired in 2010 and had a hard time competing with the likes of the original BBC variant with Jeremy Clarkson, James May, and Richard Hammond. Towards the end, however, Ferrara, Foust, and Wood were part of a show that could stand on its own.

As Wood points out, the show may be picked up by another network, which could even include some type of online streaming service later on. With the British variant of Top Gear having a myriad of problems, it looks like Top Gear as a whole has spiraled downwards after the departure of the original trio.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/27/h...-usa-breaking/

Car(s)
    2007 Honda Civic LX Coupe
    What do I see? I see BBC2 executives looking at The Driver, The Expert, and the Wrecker who have chemistry together, looking at the hodgepodge that comprises current TGUK and going "HMMMMMMMM" ...

It's more the fact that the TG brand, and thus the pull, came from CHM. Without them it's just another motoring show and thus there's no point in keeping the name alive.

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur &
    FinalGear.com Owner
    Car(s)
    2008 Dodge Viper, 2001 Mustang GT
    Aww, this sucks. I really enjoyed TG USA!
    ... I ask Herb Helbig, vehicle synthesis manager for SRT and a member of the original Team Viper development group since day one, if they'd ever thought of adding traction control. "It comes with two," he says, pointing at my feet. "Learn to use them." Got it.
    - Motor Trend on the 2006 Dodge Viper Coupe, November 2005

Car(s)
    2001 Nissan Maxima, 2015 Nissan Altima
    This sounds like it was The History channel choice and not the BBC, just going by what Rutledge Wood said ," hopping another network picks it up", so that should be the key that says the BBC didnt shit canned TGUSA, but that The History Channel no longer wants the show.

IDMB shows that there were 13 episodes planned , and episode 13 was titled "Euro Cars"
    Last edited by jws926; June 28th, 2016 at 12:47 AM.

I is now a sad panda.

"No man's life, liberty or happiness are safe while Congress is in session,"- Mark Twain

Car(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GRtak View Post
    I is now a sad panda.
    Me too

Car(s)
    2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 VR6
    Shame to see this happen. While it took some time to figure out what worked, it was enjoyable when it did. Maybe Discovery will pick it up over here.

Car(s)
    R19
    Well with the aberration of Top Gear UK, we can say "the best Top Gear around got cancelled". Honestly, the History channel can go suck a dick though, with the kind of programs they churn out... Although I admit Top Gear has absolutely nothing to do with history.
    Back to scheduled programs about pawn shops and aliens (history nowhere to be found).

Car(s)
    Volvo
    Ferrara, Foust and Wood should buy the rights of a new show, put it on another channel and call it... The Grand Tour USA...

Car(s)
    BMW 330Ci, Discovery Sport L550 and Mercedes ML320
    Quote Originally Posted by mpicco View Post
    Well with the aberration of Top Gear UK, we can say "the best Top Gear around got cancelled". ... Although I admit Top Gear has absolutely nothing to do with history.
    Yes, I've been thoroughly enjoying the latest TGUS - way, way better than TGUK with Evans. I got a real giggle from the Winter Drop Top ep. - way more spontaneity than Evans and co.

I think the History Channel did once have a line-up of history related shows, but they ran out of history and kept filling the gaps with documentaries like Mythbusters, TGUS, etc. Why they persisted with the name, though, beats me - just call it the Docu Channel. And that damned big and annoying capital [H] in the bottom right corner could be faded down a lot too.

Car(s)
    R19
    Yeah well the problem with the History channel is not lack of history, there's a damn lot of that, it's that getting educated in history and documentaries don't sell as much as shows about pawn shops.

Shame, hopefully someone picks it up.

Still leaves Top Gear France as the best TG at the moment.

So, that's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by mpicco View Post
    Yeah well the problem with the History channel is not lack of history, there's a damn lot of that, it's that getting educated in history and documentaries don't sell as much as shows about pawn shops.

Which is sad really. How dare entertainment also educate!

"No man's life, liberty or happiness are safe while Congress is in session,"- Mark Twain

Figures once they gelled as a group and found a format that worked they would get cancelled to make room for another shitty "reality" series.

Car(s)
    From the BBC
    A spokesperson for BBC Worldwide North America said: "History treated Top Gear USA with great care, and the show had a solid five-season contractual run with the network.

"We are fully committed to the hugely successful Top Gear brand - known all over the world - and have begun exploring new opportunities for the series in the US."
    http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36649402

Car(s)
    2004 Acura TSX & 2013 Honda Accord Sport
    This season actually was quite decent, and then the History Channel decides to cancel it. Now there is nothing I will watch on History, even though Top Gear US was not really about history. I remembered when the History Channel actually showed some decent historical documentaries. Now it looks like more American pickers and more trash about pawn shops will make History not so history.

At least the series finale in Cuba help made the show go out on a good note. I enjoyed the final episode!

Car(s)
    1999 Volvo S80 T6. 1990 Chevrolet C10
    At least they went out on a high note.

I think this year was by far the best stuff they've done and that final Cuban episode was lots of fun.

Car(s)
    Audi A3 1.8t
    It would be cool if they could get picked up by Netflix, that way they could do the show properly without ads and have something a lot less formulaic.

Or Amazon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information