Thread: Top Gear USA is back from the dead and headed to BBC America

Top Gear USA is back from the dead and headed to BBC America

Top Gear is getting another makeover with an American audience in mind — this time, at the same network that airs the British original.
    BBC America has ordered an eight-episode season of Top Gear America. Set to debut later in 2017, it will join the U.K. version of the car-centric talk show (and its revamped presenter lineup) on the anglophile-friendly lineup. On board for hosting this iteration are actor William Fichtner (Prison Break, The Dark Knight, Armageddon), champion drag racer Antron Brown and British car journalist Tom “Wookie” Ford. The order is very much in line with BBC America's strategy of putting a personal stamp on British pop culture.
    "We are big fans of the mix of cars, credibility and charisma that adds up to the winning formula for Top Gear, and couldn't be happier that BBCA is now the home for the franchise in the US, with Top Gear America joining the original show on our network," said network president and GM Sarah Barnett. "Bill, Antron and Wookie are serious gear heads who never take themselves too seriously. It will be quite the trip."
    This is the third stateside version of Top Gear. History enjoyed moderate success with one, which ended its six-season run in 2016. Prior to that, NBC ordered a high-profile broadcast stab in 2008 before ultimately nixing plans.
    Like the History version, BBC America's take will again be produced by U.K. distributor (and BBC America corporate parent) BBC Worldwide. (The company has a majority stake in the network, though co-parent AMC Networks has the most creative involvement in operations.)
    Top Gear has existed as a TV property since 1977, but is perhaps best known for the incredibly popular 21st Century run hosted by Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May. After achieving near-global ubiquity for their blend of interviews, field pieces and automotive test runs, the trio disbanded (and ultimately reteamed for an Amazon show) after Clarkson's contract was not renewed following allegations of verbal and physical abuse against a producer. The 2016 revamping hit another obstacle when primary host Chris Evans quit after just one season.

Barnett discussed the obstacles of the evolving U.K. version when she recently spoke with The Hollywood Reporter. "The previous team really built the audience, and it's in a period of reinvention," she said. "Things don't happen overnight. I think that the [new] presenters are really talented and developing their chemistry. But it's tough when you have that level of scrutiny that the show had last season. Nothing can withstand that."

Speed bumps aside, the automotive talk format remains one of the most enticing across the globe. And the original remains popular for stateside broadcaster BBC America. The 24th season of the original, which currently stars Matt LeBlanc, Chris Harris and Rory Reid, premiered earlier in March and is already outpacing the previous season in linear ratings. It airs Sunday nights.
    As for the new hosts, Fichtner is both a car enthusiast and a competitive racer — though not like Brown, a three-time NHRA Top Fuel Division world champion. Ford is the test editor of CAR and has previously appeared in BBC America series Mud, Sweat and Gears.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...version-987149

Car(s)
    Honda Jaaaaaazz, 89 M-B 300 CE
    I was joking the other day with another movie nerd mate about how William Fichner seems to be contractually obligated to appear in absolutely everything.
    Now I'm convinced this is the case.

See my fur babies here:
    https://www.instagram.com/brynandrews/

Car(s)
    1999 Volvo S80 T6. 1990 Chevrolet C10
    Well I hope it's good, but I wouldn't have complained if they did another season with the previous US presenters.

Car(s)
    Nissan Patrol, Chevy Tahoe, 1991 + 2002 Camaro Z28
    Well from what I have read elsewhere, they are not just changing the presenters but rebooting the format to the UK version i.e. studio, track, star guest etc so time will tell how well that works.

In my view, the old TGA only started to appeal once they went their own way and allowed chemistry to develop naturally.

As an aside, I read that the old hosts only found out they weren't involved via the press release announcing the new show if true

Quote Originally Posted by Bunglejph View Post

As an aside, I read that the old hosts only found out they weren't involved via the press release announcing the new show if true
    Maybe they could go to Amazon , they seem to like ex Top Gear presenters....

Car(s)
    2001 Nissan Maxima, 2015 Nissan Altima
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunglejph View Post
    Well from what I have read elsewhere, they are not just changing the presenters but rebooting the format to the UK version i.e. studio, track, star guest etc so time will tell how well that works.
    So they are going to do what they did the for the first season of TGUSA, track/hanger/guest, same format, and that lasted one season, so it will be interesting to see if the format will work again with the new trio.

On a side note, I know who the actor is, the other two blokes, I have no idea who they are, but I here the Ford guy is really popular, so I guess that is plus
    Last edited by jws926; March 22nd, 2017 at 2:07 AM.

Car(s)
    '04 Ford Mustang GT '87 Mercury Colony Park
    If they have commercial breaks (they will), it will flop. It's why I avoided watching TGUK or TGUSA at the beginning. Ad breaks suck and ruin the flow. It's been talked about so many times and people at the BBC should be fully aware of it.
    2011 Jeep Patriot company provided - October 2013 - June 2015
    2012 Jeep Patriot company provided - June 2015 - Present
    1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
    2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)

Quote Originally Posted by Adunaphel
    Everyone needs a f*cking timeout here, so this thread is now locked.
    Avatar Via: http://tinyurl.com/mle2fmv

mexico-land of tequila and big hats (but secretly
    Car(s)
    Nissan Pathfinder, Chevrolet Monza, Ninja 600
    That's a shame. The previous TGUSA threesome had found a groove and really worked together as a team. Seems a big step backwards not to use them. Hopefully they will be offered their own show somewhere else?

Just a few months after being announced, Top Gear America is ready for the airwaves. The new series launches on July 30 at 8 pm Eastern time on BBC America. And just as a reminder, this is a completely new show, unrelated to the previous Top Gear USA on History Channel.

BBC America released a new trailer of the show to preview various antics from the show's hosts; British auto journalist Tom "Wookie" Ford, Top Fuel drag racer Antron Brown, and actor William Fichtner. The trailer is short at just 30 seconds, and it quickly establishes the basics of Top Gear; there will be plenty of high-end sports cars, they will be driven quickly, and some odd-ball hijinks will happen.

We spotted the Lamborghini Huracán Spyder, Acura NSX, BAC Mono, and a Cadillac CTS-V. In addition, the team will be taking a look at some other machinery, such as side-by-side off-road buggies, police cars, low riders, and something orange and beat-up. And in the hijinks department, there are drive-thrus, crashes through boxes, and some cringe-worthy singing.

Our initial impressions varied from somewhat nonplussed to mild concern. We'll save our final judgement for when the first episode airs. We just hope there isn't too much singing.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2017/06/28/n...usauto00000015

JCE
    Car(s)
    2016 Dodge Charger RT / 2015 Jeep Renegade
    I've got mixed feelings here. I just watched almost all of season 6 and I have really grown to like these three. Shame the BBC got rid of them. I like Tom Ford and all but I'd prefer to keep these three since they've developed a good chemistry already. Damn it BBC, Top Gear US was getting really good the past few seasons. Fuck this is irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by transtek View Post
    That's a shame. The previous TGUSA threesome had found a groove and really worked together as a team. Seems a big step backwards not to use them. Hopefully they will be offered their own show somewhere else?

Amazon should step in here me thinks.
    Last edited by JCE; July 7th, 2017 at 1:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchi View Post
    Damn Panamera you fine as hell send nudes

Thread Information