2009 Line-Up Rumour Mill

Yeah, its just that the rumours won't stop. I keep telling everyone there's no way...

^

I agree with you totally.

No ways Alonso will be driving for Ferrari next year.

BMW on the otherhand.... hm... possible, but not likely. Unless they sack Heidfeld.

I can't see BMW hiring Alonso. They have two good drivers who work well together, one of which is from Germany which is a bonus and the other is considered one of the most potential world champions around. I don't see why they would swap one of them to Alonso.

I can't see BMW hiring Alonso. They have two good drivers who work well together, one of which is from Germany which is a bonus and the other is considered one of the most potential world champions around. I don't see why they would swap one of them to Alonso.

Double world champion.

Enough said.

The man has some serious skills.

Double world champion.

Enough said.

The man has some serious skills.

Granted, he is double world champion and obviously one of the best drivers around. But on the flipside of that coin he has a big wage and what we saw last year at Mclaren propably raises some questions on whether BMW would want him alongside a talented youngster like Kubica. And I can't see them kicking Kubica out either. They have a perfectly good lineup right now, why change it.

I've read a rumour that Kubica and Alonso would swap places, Alonso moving to BMW and Kubica taking his place.
Personally I think it's 100% imagination and don't believe it for a second ;)

^ I heard about it too, but I believe it has nothing to do with reality. That would be step backwards for Kubica.

^ I heard about it too, but I believe it has nothing to do with reality. That would be step backwards for Kubica.

Sure, and I don't think BMW would want this swap either.
I would like to see Alonso in a BMW, but not instead of Kubica. Not as a team mate to Kubica, either. But otherwise it's impossible for Alonso to go there, so I might not want to see him in a BMW anyway :D

Last edited:
Apparently, Ferrari are interested as well:

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080504162503.shtml

A report indicates that Ferrari and Renault are moving to acquire the services of Polish Formula One race driver Robert Kubica.

The 23-year-old has been a star of the 2008 season so far for BMW Sauber, and is currently third in the drivers' championship classification.

The German newspaper Bild am Sonntag quotes F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone as saying: "If I was a team boss, I would pick him."

Bild claims that officials both for Renault and Ferrari have made enquiries as to how long Kubica, who has outqualified his German teammate Nick Heidfeld on every occasion so far this season, is under contract to BMW.

It is understood that he is committed to the Munich manufacturer only until 2009, whereafter an option to extend the deal can only be made by mutual consent.
Ideally, I'd love to see Kubica stay with BMW and succeed with the team, but you never know...

Granted, he is double world champion and obviously one of the best drivers around. But on the flipside of that coin he has a big wage and what we saw last year at Mclaren propably raises some questions on whether BMW would want him alongside a talented youngster like Kubica. And I can't see them kicking Kubica out either. They have a perfectly good lineup right now, why change it.

Well, as long as BMW doesn't treat Alonso like how McLaren treated him, then he shouldn't bitch and moan about it. After all, BMW can offer him a better package Renault can offer at this stage.

I don't see why Alonso can't be team mates with Kubica. It's more of a chance of winning the constructor championship for BMW.

Ideally, I'd love to see Kubica stay with BMW and succeed with the team, but you never know...

Same here, and Kubica seems pretty committed with BMW, so let's hope it stays this way.

Aren't Robert and Fred good pals??? I don't think we'll see Nick dropped, but I could see Robert in a Ferrari if BMW do not sign him on for longer especially under his current wage..

but I could see Robert in a Ferrari if BMW do not sign him on for longer especially under his current wage..

Not really.

Massa's re-extended contract with Ferrari ends at 2010, while Kubica's contract with BMW only ends 2009, so unless Kimi decides to leave Ferrari at the end of this year (not likely), I don't see how Kubica can race for Ferrari next year.

Massa is clinging on Ferrari for his dear life, I don't think he will want to go anywhere else but to stay at Ferrari.

Last edited:
Massa is clinging on Ferrari for his dear life, I don't think he will want to go anywhere else but to stay at Ferrari.

At the end of the day, Massa won't have much of a choice.

Yup, thats why I said he will try and stay with Ferrari for as long as he can.

Honda: No decision on Rubens's future

Monday, 12 May 2008 15:45

Honda Racing chief executive Nick Fry says he cannot guarantee that Rubens Barrichello will be retained long enough to achieve his ambition of 300 grand prix starts, but reckons the Brazilian veteran is performing better than current results suggest.

As he celebrated a record 257th Formula 1 start in Turkey last weekend, Rubens delcared that he was now targeting the 300 GPs mark ? which would mean staying on the grid until at least the end of 2010.

However, Barrichello has not scored a point since late 2006, and has often struggled to match his Honda team-mate Jenson Button.

Fry said no decisions about Barrichello's future would be taken until later in the season.

"Rubens is very aware of the situation and I don't think he would want it any other way," he was quoted as saying by the Reuters news agency.

"Rubens wants to be fast and if he is fast, he'll be here next year.

"And if he's not fast, he won't.

"It's as simple as that.

"I see no signs of Rubens wanting to retire whatsoever.

"He wants to carry on as long as he's enjoying it and as long as he's quick enough, and at the moment he is.

"We haven't had any serious conversations with Rubens ? we've discussed things but it's not a priority at the moment.

"As we get towards the summer and into the autumn, then we'll start talking in earnest.

"Either we will both want to do it or we both won't."

Fry denied that Button had dominated Barrichello during their two seasons together.

"We monitor the performance of the drivers on a race-by-race basis in lots of different respects," he said.

"Over the last 18 months, although we haven't got anything like the results we would have liked to have got, he is nip-and-tuck with Jenson.

"After that many years of grand prix racing, to retain your enthusiasm and still be that quick is extremely impressive."

Source

Webber hopes to extend contract at Red Bull Racing

11 May 2008

Mark Webber has said he hopes he can continue to race with the Red Bull Racing team for another season. The Australian's contract ends at the end of this season but if it's up to Webber he will extend his contract with the team.

"We are talking now," Webber was quoted as saying by Reuters. "I am free next year but I am massively keen to stay here, obviously."

The Red Bull team managed to move up the field this season, which is a good motivation for Webber to continue racing with the team. "When you are getting smoked down at the back every week and it's tough, I'd rather be riding my mountain bike with my dog," he admitted. "Everyone is very excited about today's qualifying but I always try to keep a bit of a level head on it as well. We have had a good run in the last few races, now we've got to try and continue it. Consistency is the key in any sport and if we can hold station where we are now, that is a very good achievement. But then we have to go to that next level."

Source

I don't think Webber will have a problem resigning with Red Bull, Rubens may find it hard to stay at Honda though.

BMW set to extend Kubica's deal

By Jonathan Noble Tuesday, May 13th 2008, 10:18 GMT

Robert KubicaFormula One teams interested in luring Robert Kubica away from BMW Sauber will almost certainly have to wait until 2010, autosport.com understands, with the Pole set to be locked in for at least another year at his current outfit.

Kubica's strong start to the season, which has left him fourth overall in the drivers' championship, has made him an obvious target for front-running teams well aware that he is only officially confirmed until the end of this year.

However, sources close to Kubica have told autosport.com that there is an option in his contract that gives BMW Sauber the automatic right to sign him up for another season.

The option, which is believed to expire in September, essentially gives the team until the summer to decide whether or not they want to keep Kubica on board.

With his current form, the matter looks a formality - although in theory BMW Sauber could choose to sell the Pole's contract on to another team.

Last year, Kubica was informed immediately after his Canadian Grand Prix crash that he would be retained for 2008, and BMW motorsport director Mario Theissen has already suggested the team will finalise their drivers in the next few months.

When asked by autosport.com if he was worried that Kubica's speed would increase the likelihood of a rival team trying to poach the Pole, Theissen said: "No. When we took him, we expected him to be strong. We'll announce next year's drivers in the summer."

Theissen has said that he believes the improved F1.08 has keen key to allowing Kubica to show the raw speed that was so evident in 2006 but missing for parts of last year.

"Yes. I would say he's back on track," explained Theissen. "What we're seeing now is quite similar to what we saw in 2006.

"He had a very tough year last year and it was more difficult for him than for other drivers to adapt to the standard spec tyre and he had quite a few technical problems and then quite a big shunt. So it was a learning year and now he's back on track."

Source

^ Makes sense to keep him, he's a good driver and BMW are getting stronger while McLaren are lacking in pace.

^ I'm very skeptical - just can't the tantrum-throwing 'nando wanting to drive alongside Kimi.

Though it would be great seeing Kimi wipe the floor with him.