Is the Veyron a "comfortable" car?

Jimi Hendrix

It's the fastest GT on Earth, but is it really as comfortable and user friendly as some people say?

From the latest issue of C&D:

It has the turning radius (39.3 feet) of a Navy minesweeper. There is no 12V outlet so you'll want to own a battery-powered radar detector. And the carbon-fiber sport seats are adjusted manually. To raise and lower their height, in fact, they must be removed. By the dealer.

What's more, the Veyron proffers the ride of a Mitsubishi Evo that has been modified for professional drifting. Step-off is unpredictable and sometimes abrupt, accompanied by the not-so-charming clunk from the gearbox. And the W16's numerous fans, its 64 valves and its four furiously spinning turbos create and engine note that sounds like an idling Blackhawk helicopter's. It whooses, whirs and whines. No crisp crackling of pistons as from a Ferrari or a Lamborghini.

Combine that with tires as pliable as magohany - they must, after all, withstand 253 mph- and you summon the whole panoply of noises that luxocar engineers work so diligently to eradicate: tire thrum, boom, crash-through tread roar, impact echo and blasts from expansion strips that sound like the guns of Navarone. At a 70-mph cruise, the Veyron is 8 dB noisier than a 911 GT2. At full throttle, it is 6 dB noisier than a track-ready Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR. It's like living inside a snare drum. Those of us who sampled the radio said it wasn't very good, but it was hard to tell. We couldn't really hear it.

Last edited:
interesting....

Sounds like an honest assessment to me. I hope nobody on the forums here with their imaginary in-car experience with the Veyron are going to dispute this...

It may be a very noisy and uncomfortable car, but as quick as it is, you'll spend less time in it... so it doesn't really matter!

...how's that logic for you?

That's the first negative article I've read about the Veyron.

Doesn't sound too bad to me. I've heard different things about the ride, but the rest is what most reviews say. The turning circle BTW is almost exactly the same as that of our S60.

Next year at the ADAC Charity Challenge I'll try to get a ride in the Veyron (and the Gumpert) if it's there, then I can tell...

Manual carbon-fiber seats? What do they take us for, Philistines?! What's next, wind-down windows?!!!*

Seriously though, all of this is pretty surprising, as I thought they must have stuffed the thing to the gills with noise-canceling material. All the wood, leather, and brushed aluminum in the world doesn't really mean anything.

Still, I wouldn't mind finding out for myself. ;)

* I love my wind-down windows. Don't hate.

It may be a very noisy and uncomfortable car, but as quick as it is, you'll spend less time in it... so it doesn't really matter!

...how's that logic for you?

So youre saying its the kind of car in which you want to spend the least amt of time ?

Sorry, i'm just going along with your line of logic.

Tiff said it was nice and predictable and very very easy to drive.

Was theirs broken?

^It still may be ease to drive and comfortable compared to other hypercars...

But I sort that liked this review. I've never been in a Veyron, obviously, but something never really seenmed right about it. When I read about their's opinion on the noise, I couldn't agree more. It is powerful, undoubtely, but lacks all that drama and shouty feel of a Italian V12, for example. Impressive? Yes, sure. But even if I had all the money in the world, I'd buy another car. Maybe a CCXR...

So youre saying its the kind of car in which you want to spend the least amt of time ?

Sorry, i'm just going along with your line of logic.

No, you just don't need to... it takes me 53 minutes to drive the 53 km to school.... the bugatti could do it in 8 :p

was lucky enough to sit in a Veyron at the Geneva Motor Show in 2007, and can say that sitting in it was comfortable, the seats nicely hug you, but were comfortable enough that im sure you could do long journeys in it.

I think the Veyron is more of a rich man's "to own" item, rather than a luxury driving machine that's a pleasure to use for long journeys. It's more of a statement, telling people that he's got one of the most powerful and expensive cars on the planet. For someone who can afford - and owns - a Veyron, he/she can definitely travel in style on a yacht or a charter/private jet for long journeys.

I wouldn't mind if someone were to give me one for free though! :p

was lucky enough to sit in a Veyron at the Geneva Motor Show in 2007, and can say that sitting in it was comfortable, the seats nicely hug you, but were comfortable enough that im sure you could do long journeys in it.

There are 3 different seat design options... :p

If I had all the money in the world, I'd buy one.

If I didn't, but came into some money, I'd buy something else.