Epiphanies and Instantaneous Desires.

FleeceLINER

How many of you, truthfully, have followed a desire on a whim?
I think it's freakin' awesome. Just today, as I was at my martial arts class, I was reminded of a girl who went to my school, and used to go to the same martial arts school. Within 3 minutes, I had made up my mind to ask her out. (save for the fact that I have NONE of her information...)

At the time, it felt awesome. It still does, as a matter of fact. I live for this kind of rush induced by rash, inexpedient thinking. I'm usually a planner type of person, so this injects a bit of excitement into my life, adding more radicals to my equation.

So, once again, my question to YOU is:

Have you ever followed a whim? Was it good/bad?

I bought a Peugeot 605 SV24 after thinking for 5 minutes. I still love the car, but the parts prices are killing me... 125 euros for a distributor cap! So it's mixed feelings there.

I was back in the supermarket I used to work in today, to visit friends, and as I was heading through the checkout, I felt the instantaneous desire to have a chocolate. So I bought one.:lol:

They don't call them 'impulse bars' for nothing!

Went to see a spex (student theatre - think Monty Python) about a year ago. After a very pleasant performance, me and my friend even left the theatre before we convinced each other that we should at least go back and ask how to apply to the group.

Now I've spend a year as the guitarist in the orchestra, and I loved every second of it. Earlier this summer I became the orchestra chief for next year, and the theatre group is slowly becoming quite a big part of my life. My friend, despite almost getting killed from the stress, is also starting her second year with the actors. And to think that we were so close to just walk home and forget about it that night...

Who would have known theatre was this much fun? :p

Well, I did buy a Honda motorcycle on eBay Motors on a whim because I just had to have one. The resulting 10-hour drive to Ohio and back was completely worth it.

And I'm about to sacrifice my sanity, my finances, my weekends, and my garage space for one of these...

I am the world's slowest decision maker, I must calculate every option carefully and ensure there are no options I have overlooked.

That's a "no", in case you're wondering.

I can't do that, the few things I have done on impulse haven't gone well. The reason I have a broken 1940s radio taking up considerable room in my bedroom and no longer have any money is due to my former instantanious desires.

I'm glad I mostly give up on them before actually achiveing them though, otherwise I'd also have a 1970s TV and a Reliant Rialto by now. Although technicaly the Rialto was sold by the time I enquired about it.

So I now I live my life through careful planning... and its just as problem filled and depressing as ever.

Well, I did buy a Honda motorcycle on eBay Motors on a whim because I just had to have one. The resulting 10-hour drive to Ohio and back was completely worth it.

And I'm about to sacrifice my sanity, my finances, my weekends, and my garage space for one of these...

Stop posting and start Triumph buying!

I am the world's slowest decision maker, I must calculate every option carefully and ensure there are no options I have overlooked.

That's a "no", in case you're wondering.
I am exactly the same way.

^ You make me want to slit my wrists :lol:

Yeah, I'm not a very cheery person lately. :(
Life hasn't been going to plan very much recently and its really getting to me quite badly.

Can't say its all bad though, still got Finalgear! :D

Probably won't be too long before I buy something else on impulse, it'll be useless, or broken but it'll keep me entertained I'm sure! :lol:

Last edited:
That's how I got my current car. Erm....so yeah.

Life hasn't been going to plan very much recently and its really getting to me quite badly.
You're 17, man. You still got your whole life ahead of you to screw up :lol:

Man, I'm just full of helpful advice today aren't I?

I was kidding of course. But seriously, you're 17, don't get all mid-life-crisisy ;) Plus you live right on the best racetrack country for driving roads.

Last edited:
I have a guitar I never play bought of ebay on a whim. I'm trying to convince my friend to buy it because he's played it far more many times than I have. It's a great instrument, just not my type.

I had a whim to take a nice picture of Tower Bridge in London at a school trip. I didn't tell about that my teacher and I got lost, no one noticed that I went away from my group. But fortunately i maneged to find them.
I bought my moblie phone on a whim and it's been in repair for three weeks.
I only plan 'big' things which are important for me. I usually don't calculate things I just do them. I'm sometimes in trouble because of that.

I bought one of my 22" LCDs on a whim off of craigslist. I wasn't even looking for one, but my friend sent me the ad.

My life is a collection of instantaneous desires, my ipod, my laptop, my stereo, my console, my comp speakers......

i only plan if the impulse takes a really long time or is something Really big

Asked the Mrs to be the Mrs Cobol74 without planning anything, just seemed so right - she said yes and 25 years later... , best thing I ever did.

Aww...