This cash for clunkers program really pisses me off.

How many C4C threads are there? 15? 20?
But this shit is serious, y'know? A couple halfway decent cars worked their way among the piles and piles of utter shit being traded in, and some of our tax dollars went to paying for scrapping them! In fact, according to the US Census, every person in the US paid $16.67 in taxes* to fund this (cost / pop).

* which annoys me a little, don't get me wrong, but hardly enough to fill me with rage or make eight threads about.

But this shit is serious, y'know? A couple halfway decent cars worked their way among the piles and piles of utter shit being traded in, and some of our tax dollars went to paying for scrapping them! In fact, according to the US Census, every person in the US paid $16.67 in taxes* to fund this (cost / pop).

* which annoys me a little, don't get me wrong, but hardly enough to fill me with rage or make eight threads about.

Exactly although you have to adjust your calculations to take into account that some of the people counted in the Census don't pay taxes. You have kids and people who don't make enough money to pay federal taxes in their too.

As for what were the top 10 cars traded in we don't know yet because the NHTSA uses a different method to classify models of cars then the regular method.

From the second post on TTAC, which is a horrible Blog by the way absolutely the worst auto type blog I have ever had the displeasure of reading,

Remember how the NHTSA?s methodology schews (i.e. Focus is counted as 2 (FWD/AWD), Fusion as 3 (FWD/AWD/Hybrid FWD) the escape as 4 (FWD/AWD & Hybrid FWD/AWD) and the F150 as 6 different vehicles) when all of those are considered as one model only Ford had 4 of the top ten sellers. (what happened to GM and ChryCo?s cars in the top ten? Did they suffer the same fate as Ford?s or did they just run out of inventory?)

It seems to me that the NHTSA is using this method for political purposes (justifying the program as environmental).

In terms of trade in of course those are going to be the most traded as they were the biggest sellers in the last 15 years and were the ones that would qualify for the highest rebate
We have to wait till Edmunds or someone else calculates the top 10 cars sold by combining the different drive train choices. The Corolla only has one version as far as fueleconomy.gov is concerned and the Accord only has two the Coupe and sedan.

The Camry has two versions hybrid and regular and the Prius only has one.

You have four versions of the escape, two of the Cobalt and two of the Malibu. There are five different versions of the Silverado and six different versions of the Colorado. Not that I think the Colorado will be on the top 10 list cause it is a crappy truck just pointing that out.

Last edited:
Agree with you entirely fredstarter. My car is 10 years old and it still has 5 years left it in easily. And that's without bank-busting repairs every year.

what do they pour in the oil filler?

and look at all the shit coming out the back... how green is that

Well the program is done anyway, and despite what Obama tells us, it's really a failure.

The three companies (well 2 companies) that needed people to buy their cars didn't even get one of their cars on the top 10 purchased cars list.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/cash-for-clunkers-under-budget-but-underachieving/

2 of the top 10 cars were Fords (Focus and Escape Hybrid) not to mention how many hundreds if not thousands of dealers across this country that are owed millions from this program who haven't actually recieved payment for more then roughly 2-3 cars.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/26/final-tally-for-cash-for-clunkers-700-000-sales-2-877b/#thankYou

Realistically it was a disaster, and whatever sales the dealerships got is more then likely going to take a sharp and sudden nose dive now the Gov isn't giving them free money to get a new car. Hell we didn't even have the funds for this program to start with...

And now we move on to the next clusterfuck, Health Care.

Not to mention I bet a bunch of the people who turned in their big 3 made vehicles to dealerships for at least some servicing, now they have toyotas and hondas so those companies will be getting the money from servicing them.

Exactly although you have to adjust your calculations to take into account that some of the people counted in the Census don't pay taxes. You have kids and people who don't make enough money to pay federal taxes in their too.

As for what were the top 10 cars traded in we don't know yet because the NHTSA uses a different method to classify models of cars then the regular method.

From the second post on TTAC, which is a horrible Blog by the way absolutely the worst auto type blog I have ever had the displeasure of reading,

We have to wait till Edmunds or someone else calculates the top 10 cars sold by combining the different drive train choices. The Corolla only has one version as far as fueleconomy.gov is concerned and the Accord only has two the Coupe and sedan.

The Camry has two versions hybrid and regular and the Prius only has one.

You have four versions of the escape, two of the Cobalt and two of the Malibu. There are five different versions of the Silverado and six different versions of the Colorado. Not that I think the Colorado will be on the top 10 list cause it is a crappy truck just pointing that out.

TTAC is a truely terrible site in general...

And the whole classifications of the cars purchased is still fairly terrible as well, then again it was set up by the goverment, and they can't set shit right.

In the end a few good cars got killed and we as a nation are about 3-4 billion more into the red then we were a month ago...

The ends do not justify the means.

Its this kind of frivilous spending of money we don't have that is going to ruin this country. (It's already predicted that the national deficit will be 9 trillion in ten years. As it is we've spend much more then Bush ever spend during his administration years...)

They all look like old and boring POS to me, I'd do the same and cashed in those clunkers. They're very old and boring sedans after all with a reputation of being costly to maintain and having a lot of problems especially electronically.

Cash for clunkers has been a great program and stimulated the economy pretty significantly even if you don't like it. Those owners made the financially right decision and hopefully have something more modern now.

Last edited:
'Stimulated the economy' is something the jury is still out on. We'll see if it was really stimulated or if (like many economists say) all it did was make people delay purchases until the program came in and pulled forward purchases that others were going to make in the future. The proof will be when we see what the September and October car sales are.

In addition, those car sales have been at the expense of vast swaths of other sectors of the economy. C4C has done serious damage to the scrap metal, auto salvage, auto repair and auto parts sectors.

I suspect that when the final reports are in, we will find that C4C did nothing but shift the pain to another sector of the economy - not stimulate it.