This cash for clunkers program really pisses me off.

Kowalski

In fact, the whole idea of scrapping a roadworthy car to get a rebate on a brand new one, just fills me with rage.

Watch the slow and painful death of this 1998 Jaguar XJ8 in the American "Cash for Clunkers" program.

[YOUTUBE]NoWbiGJbF6I[/YOUTUBE]

Whoever was the sad bastard who traded the XJ8 in, clearly didn't deserve such nice car.

You saw that beige Volvo S80 behind the Jaguar? It was a 9 year old car... In Pristine condition. Here's the video of its equally slow and painful death:

[YOUTUBE]iD0Pv6yyGek[/YOUTUBE]

And here's the BMW 530i they talked about in both videos:

[YOUTUBE]3SXA1oZnj98[/YOUTUBE]

All three useful nice cars being murdered on purpose... W-T-:censored:?!

Ultimate respect for the BMW means doing a burnout the next second. =P

In defense of the owners, assuming they got the $4500 voucher, they got more than they the trade values for their cars. According to book values, the Jag is only worth $3300 in trade, the Volvo $3500 and the BMW $1700. The dealer retail value of the BMW is only $3400.

Last edited:
Oh but the poor Jag... and the poor BMW ... This consumer society thing, where everything has to be brand new every 3 months, just plain sucks. I could've driven that Jag forever and back. The owners probably bought Priuses with the cash.

:shakefist:

Oh and the Volvo? It had it coming.

:tease:

The really stupid part about it is that properly driven, you can get an average overall fuel economy of 22-25mpg out of that XJ8. It was also probably fully paid off.... Whoever owned it was an idiot.

Yeah the guy that owned the XJ8 was dumb but as far as the market is concerned it isn't worth anything.

I won't cry over the S80 as it is a early T6 and everything on that car breaks. The transmission is disposable and the wiring problems will drive you insane.

Oh no...there was a S70 T5 in the back. I'm guessing it got stuffed too :(
FU, Barry!

Welcome to the club, one of my all-time favorites, the GMC Typhoon, was recently sent to it's doom. It was a red one too. At least here in England dealerships will offer to buy your car for the same money and sell it on if it is old, rare or interesting. Why can't they do that in the states?

The really stupid part about it is that properly driven, you can get an average overall fuel economy of 22-25mpg out of that XJ8. It was also probably fully paid off.... Whoever owned it was an idiot.

What about the catastrophic engine failure those tended to have?

Yeah the guy that owned the XJ8 was dumb but as far as the market is concerned it isn't worth anything.

I won't cry over the S80 as it is a early T6 and everything on that car breaks. The transmission is disposable and the wiring problems will drive you insane.

Yep those T6s died pretty easily.

As far as we know these cars could have been limping their way to the dealership.

Also don't we have five million threads for this already?

Last edited:
Also don't we have five million threads for this already?

Yeah, we do.
I think it's safe to say that there are more threads about this on here than there are cars that have been traded in under this program. True story.

In fact the other threads are so old they have been traded in by their owners and had anything of value destroyed by communists.

These videos makes me cry :( well bmw mabie not but the lolvo and jag ou what a shame :S

Oh no...there was a S70 T5 in the back. I'm guessing it got stuffed too :(
FU, Barry!

The S70 T5 gets too good a mileage so now it couldn't be a clunker probably just a wholesale car sitting in the back lot. Our clunker cars are mixed in with some of the wholesale cars cause we only have so much room to store them all.

The S70 T5 gets better then 18 combined so would be ineligible as a clunker.

The 2000 S80 T6 is the only S80 that gets 18 combined so the only S80 that could be clunked. Only a handful of Volvos even got poor enough mileage to get clunked. Volvo sent us the list of eligible cars with clunkers got finalized there only a dozen or so cars on it.

I'm relieved now :)

In fact, the whole idea of scrapping a roadworthy car to get a rebate on a brand new one, just fills me with rage.
If these examples of C4C are enough to completely fill you with rage, methinks you might need to chill out a little.

A few months ago I started thinking about leaving the states for good after I graduate, and go back to Europe.

After this C4C program I'm convinced - I just want to get out of this country ran by absolute retards!

A few months ago I started thinking about leaving the states for good after I graduate, and go back to Europe.

After this C4C program I'm convinced - I just want to get out of this country ran by absolute retards!

The problem is that they are following the examples and wish list of the equally retarded people in power in Europe, specifically the French (and say as much in public). The only difference is that said idiots have more power here.

Any wonder that a growing number of Texans want us to GTFO of the US?

What about the catastrophic engine failure those tended to have?

Most of them have already had the engine replaced, and judging by the sound of that one (how fast it started, how well it idled), I am all but certain that it had at least had the timing chain tensioners replaced, if not the engine. That thing was probably good for another 100K, easily.

Last edited:
Well the program is done anyway, and despite what Obama tells us, it's really a failure.

The three companies (well 2 companies) that needed people to buy their cars didn't even get one of their cars on the top 10 purchased cars list.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/cash-for-clunkers-under-budget-but-underachieving/

2 of the top 10 cars were Fords (Focus and Escape Hybrid) not to mention how many hundreds if not thousands of dealers across this country that are owed millions from this program who haven't actually recieved payment for more then roughly 2-3 cars.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/26/final-tally-for-cash-for-clunkers-700-000-sales-2-877b/#thankYou

Realistically it was a disaster, and whatever sales the dealerships got is more then likely going to take a sharp and sudden nose dive now the Gov isn't giving them free money to get a new car. Hell we didn't even have the funds for this program to start with...

And now we move on to the next clusterfuck, Health Care.

Last edited:
/\ That's no shit. WE ARE IN A BAD WAY:|

crap...this is really scary.