The "New Toys" Thread

What do you mean by build quality? And a PC? Apple computers are PC's too, just they have fruit on them. Was it a Acer PC, IBM, Compaq, NEC, Alienware etc? Shoddy build quality on a computer is having a loose keyboard on a laptop, but they don't cause hardware failures. Incorrect thermal design cause failures, or leaking capacitators (phased out now) or chip defects. Those have nothing to do with the chinese person who made your computer :p

Yeah yeah. :p Perhaps I used the wrong terminology.

Anyway, these were proper hardware failures, such as the mobo.

*laughs* Even still...I haven't gotten a BSOD on any of my PC's (one's Vista Basic, one's XP sp1, one is XP sp3.) for a long time. The only issues I had were on my old laptop which had 2 of it's internal fans burn out, so if I'm using it and I don't at least have it propped up for airflow, or if the room is very warm it locks up, and some 6-year-old hard drives are dying in my desktop so they are giving me troubles.

My Dell laptop running Vista is currently stuck on the "Locking your computer..." screen because the screensaver went on while on battery. When I first got it last year, it would BSOD like crazy. My friend's Dell laptop can never shut down at my house unless he switches off the wireless first. You can't close my sister's Toshiba laptop while it's shutting down, or else it'll go into standby first, and when you open it next, it'll finish the shut down and switch off.

Meanwhile, none of the Macs we've never owned have had any problems whatsoever! :D

http://img405.imageshack.**/img405/2535/wholesalexbox360pro20gb.jpg
http://img44.imageshack.**/img44/1784/halo3boxart5877912.jpg
http://img6.imageshack.**/img6/3854/47166028941.jpg

Well, that's vista. :p I've had this install of XP for 3 years and the only problem with it is inherently XP 32bit (crappy network stack and only supporting 3-ish GB of ram). I haven't seen a BSOD in years and the last time explorer crashed was a few months ago, due to a malfunctioning USB drive. Mum has Vista on her laptop and hasn't had a problem with it, I've got 7 on mine since RC1 and it's been a blast.

It's an LG 32LH3010, 1080p capable, 4 HDMI plugs, etc...

Don't have HD playback capability yet or a surround kit, will be coming during the next few months, probably a Popcorn and some generic 5.1 thing. Can't wait to watch some HD movies. :eek:

I'm happy we've moved on, but I have to point out that expecting high build quality from Dell is silly. Apples to Apples would be more like comparing Macs to a Lenovo or something like that.

I'm now wondering again if I should buy a refurb 13" Macbook. I'm just worried about stuff like the battery being messed up, etc, etc.....

What are some comparable models I could look at for $1200AUD from, say, Dell, Lenovo, HP, etc?

Please try and limit suggestions to models I can actually purchase in Australia :)

The battery will basically be new, and if, for some reason, it's bad out of the box, you can just complain to Apple and they will change it at no cost.

^^Well, the thing is, if I do purchase I'll get my dad to buy it in Hong Kong because it'll be a chunk cheaper than buying it in Australia.........

What's apple like with international warranty?

The other argument would be - Buy a new plastic body Macbook or a refurbed unibody macbook...

This whole laptop hunt is doing my head in. And HP's website being so horrible to browse isn't helping either.

I'm going to give my Asus one last try though. Hopefully a good service would be able to resolve quiet a few of the issues I'm having.

Last edited:
The battery will basically be brand new, and if, for some reason, it's bad out of the box, you can just complain to Apple and they will change it at no cost.

FTFY. Apple puts a brand new battery in all refurbs. As for plastic vs. unibody, as long as it has the Nvidia chipset, then it is good. The unibody Macs are certainly more appealing between the glass trackpad, the metal case, the styling, and more importantly, the DDR3 RAM. However, if you can only afford the plastic and really want it now...

FTFY. Apple puts a brand new battery in all refurbs. As for plastic vs. unibody, as long as it has the Nvidia chipset, then it is good. The unibody Macs are certainly more appealing between the glass trackpad, the metal case, the styling, and more importantly, the DDR3 RAM. However, if you can only afford the plastic and really want it now...

Ah, thanks for correcting me, I didn't know that :)

Well, they used to anyway. I just checked and they don't seem to advertise that in the refurb details anymore. :dunno:

xomji9.png

Well I found the iPod refurb ad box, but I dunno what happened to the MacBook one.