How are TG lap times measured?

I've looked everywhere for the GT2 lap time, it doesn't exist. it just seems a shame that they got it onto the track and never made a record of it.

and i forgot he doesn't sleep....

but maybe a duck flew past his window and he wanted to suck the water out of it. and was confused by the fact that it was flying.

and one more thing i thought of. A fair assortment of the times on that chart were made by the Black Stig, and let's not forget the white stig is considerably more consistant and quick. Yet those times remain in place.

Yep, GT2's lap time was 1:19:5, like some other people said. How do I know this? It was obviously tenth on the board at the time my Top Gear mousepad (with top ten power lap times on it) was printed :lol:

I just dont see why they dont buy something like a simple photogate system that will start the clock when the beam breaks and stop the clock when the beam breaks again. It's only about $100 USD and does everything that needs to be done. Also if they want they can still use the stopwatch and just do an average of the stopwatch time and the photogate time.

Too try hard and serious for TG, no?
have you seen it?
it's 3 middle aged men cocking about with cars...

Too try hard and serious for TG, no?
have you seen it?
it's 3 middle aged men cocking about with cars...

no matter if it's 3 men cocking about or not, the bottom line of the show is that it is a car show.

for example, the title is Top Gear...

and who knows, maybe the time keeper is just a wife of one of the camera crew who volunteers, so it's free laybor

It's not a car show - its a driving entertainment show with cars :p

It's theirs - they can make it whatever they want it to be. It's not motoring television with Zach Spencer ffs...

do we always have to debate this and be frustrated with eachother? just watch it and enjoy it no matter what it is.

this is so rediculous sometimes, people can't say something one way or the other without hearing about it for the next 5 pages ofa completely unrelated thread.

I think it's because pretty much everyone wants the show to be something slightly different than what it is. We all like different parts of it. And prefer different episodes. Different series. But we also find that people complaining about the shows current format annoying, because if everyone just came here to complain what they didn't like about the current format there'd be no end to it. Thousands of fans just saying "I didn't like this, I didn't like that" that doesn't make for an interesting or even fun community.

Anyhow regarding the power lap timing they started out more serious, asking Lotus to set up the course and everything, using GPS telemetry and using a water tanker to come and hose down the track so every car would do a wet lap. But they, for whatever reason moved away from facts and GPS telemetry and all that and increased the entertainment segments, movie quality the outrageous stunts etc etc etc.
So no matter how many fans on a little poky fan forum is going to complain about it they're not going to magically revert.

i'll never understand why they wanted the track to be wet......

a testiment to British weather i guess :p

Because you can always add water to a dry track to make it wet but it is physically impossible to remove water from a track when it's raining.

Anyway, the thread was a valid question, how do they time. Answer is with a stopwatch. The laps are never THAT accurate. It mainly serves a comedic purpose of "look who/what _________ was faster/slower than." It's a point, it's amusing, it's not precise astrophysics or something.

Last edited: