2011 Mustang V8 5.0 412hp

I think that modern technology would make an options list like that even easier. It's the modern accountants that are the problems ;). If I could get a Mustang with a "Track Pack" IRS, a 6 speed and the EcoBoost V6 ... I'd use tuition money for the down payment.

You can do a lot with flexible manufacturing but an exhaustive options list like that just costs too much money. Take a look at BMW or Porsche pricing for an example.

When Land Rover launched the LR3 in 2004 nearly everything was avaliable as a stand alone option. They told us that when they did this it would be a very temporary situation and as options were ordered together they would use that to figure out the most popular packages and group things accordingly. Within six months they had the options list cut down by about a third not even waiting till the end of the 2005 MY run to make changes. By the time the 2006 MY cars were out the options list was cut down by over half. They even went so far as to eliminate some options and offer them as dealer installed accessories.

Does ford do flexible manifacturing though?

I would love a 5.0L V8, 6spd manual. Track Pack. And then base model interior. (no electric windows, no electric seats, no sat nav, etc) Keep the weight down.

Does ford do flexible manifacturing though?

I would love a 5.0L V8, 6spd manual. Track Pack. And then base model interior. (no electric windows, no electric seats, no sat nav, etc) Keep the weight down.

Track pack or drag pack? :p hahah Although Mustang's are cool cars, they are not so good on the road course, they are fun but not good. They should stick to drag racing IMO

Track pack or drag pack? :p hahah Although Mustang's are cool cars, they are not so good on the road course, they are fun but not good. They should stick to drag racing IMO

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that why Ford favours the live-axle rear end as opposed to an IRS set-up?

I think that modern technology would make an options list like that even easier. It's the modern accountants that are the problems ;). If I could get a Mustang with a "Track Pack" IRS, a 6 speed and the EcoBoost V6 ... I'd use tuition money for the down payment.

I'll have the hunt down the article but...

Basically no. Companies back in the day used to offer AM radio's or optional FM and 8 track and god knows what else. Basically anything they could fit in the slot.

Law of numbers (or so the accountants have found out) means that it's far cheaper to just order a shit ton more FM radios with 8 track players than it is to order half a shit ton worth of FM radios and a half a shit ton worth of AM's... and to top it off they can now use that as a selling feature.

It's why it's hard to find a car that has standard crank windows and optional electric anymore (US at least).

I disagree, a Mustang is the perfect platform for an all-around car. I hope to get my SVO where it's good at auto-x and works well at a dragstrip. They are quite versatile vehicles.

I disagree, a Mustang is the perfect platform for an all-around car. I hope to get my SVO where it's good at auto-x and works well at a dragstrip. They are quite versatile vehicles.

Agree. In stock form, sure, they aren't super awesome, but there is a lot of potential in the car if set up properly. I have been to open track events and seen plenty of Mustangs harassing Porsches.

I'll have the hunt down the article but...

Basically no. Companies back in the day used to offer AM radio's or optional FM and 8 track and god knows what else. Basically anything they could fit in the slot.

Here's the actual original owners' manual for my Mustang, the page that talks about dealer installed accessories. My favorite is item #14. Imagine how much that would be worth today if you could find a car with it.

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/nabster/2009/12/22/DSC03651.JPG

Here's the actual original owners' manual for my Mustang, the page that talks about dealer installed accessories. My favorite is item #14. Imagine how much that would be worth today if you could find a car with it.

Never mind the television, what is a 1960s Mustang going to do with a 9000 rpm tachometer?!

Never mind the television, what is a 1960s Mustang going to do with a 9000 rpm tachometer?!

All those cars unfortunatley blew their enines quite regularly... :p

The guys running (and winning) in live-axle Mustangs in the Koni Sportscar Challenge disagree.

The '10 GT500 also did a 1:44.3 around Laguna Seca, which is only 1 second slower than an E92 M3, and much faster than both an Evo X and a 911 Carrera. Not bad for a 2-ton beast.

Unless by "good" you mean pleasurable driving dynamics, in which case probably not!

Last edited:
The guys running (and winning) in live-axle Mustangs in the Koni Sportscar Challenge disagree.

The '10 GT500 also did a 1:44.3 around Laguna Seca, which is only 1 second slower than an E92 M3, and much faster than both an Evo X and a 911 Carrera. Not bad for a 2-ton beast.

Unless by "good" you mean pleasurable driving dynamics, in which case probably not!

Pleasurable on a track easily. Pleasurable on a bumpy road? You'd have to be a masochist.

Same could be said for most any car that posts a good Laguna Seca time. I doubt an M3 is much more comfortable on a bumpy road!

Pleasurable on a track easily. Pleasurable on a bumpy road? You'd have to be a masochist.

Sack up!!! Plenty of people here drive trucks everyday.;)

I'm pretty sure a Mustang is a comfort queen compared to my Jeep....
I'll take the mustang if you are all going to complain too much. :p

I'm pretty sure a Mustang is a comfort queen compared to my Jeep....
I'll take the mustang if you are all going to complain too much. :p

I'd lay money that a 2010 Mustang GT has a more pleasant ride over frost-heaved payment than an EVO X.

I've been driving an IRS car regularly recently and it hasn't been that huge a difference for me over the rough stuff compared to my Mustang. But then I'm not too picky about ride quality.

The Sky I am regularly has IRS and it's like falling on your ass while rollerblading or skating.